-Rudel-

GEAR

blyPtxp.jpg

:pilotfly:

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

f16c-gr-nga.jpg

Could it be.... Not enough to go off of I'm afraid.

If you really look hard it could easily be. Definitely not the F-5...

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

Well after we consulting the trained eyes of one of our squadron mates who happens to be in the air force. He believes its the gear of an F-4. If you look at the rear gear it's almost a dead ringer!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Keep guessing guys :D

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD

From a model kit, but best shot I could find so far of a Japanese WWII Raiden landing gear:

t86fsx.jpg

"Hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky; With hideous ruin and combustion down;
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell; In adamantine chains and penal fire"

(RIG info is outdated, will update at some point) i5 @3.7GHz (OC to 4.1), 16GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, Razer Blackshark Headset, Obutto Ozone

Upon closer inspection it can't be the Zero, F-4, F-16, or F-5...

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Rudel's avatar should be the designer of A6M zero: Jiro Horikoshi from animation The Wind Rises

So it should be A6M zero's gear with high probability :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=116497&stc=1&d=1429231901

1.jpg.3be699fa322ec87c7407b959b0f7cb04.jpg

Edited by uboats

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities and Scripts

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 3TB SSD |

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

It's a landing gear of standard configuration from the 1930's to present day. Should be able to eliminate some of the speculated options though.

Edit: Definitely not an F4U, F4F, F6F, F-4 Phantom, MiG-23, MiG-25, Su-17, Su-24 or F-111.

Edited by King_Hrothgar

From a model kit, but best shot I could find so far of a Japanese WWII Raiden landing gear:

t86fsx.jpg

The oleo design is interesting, it's pretty asymmetric which seems unusual.

The J2M Raiden is the closest match I've seen, here is a picture (not a close-up, but best I could find):

281e914e2b1a5c84c3bc26907658b644.jpg

Also, the mounting pattern of the oleo to the mainmount matches Rudel's image.

Quite an interesting aircraft, fast, powerful, and a match for late war US aircraft...like the Corsair :) .

-Nick

Personally, I really hope it's not the Raiden.

It's one of the least aesthetically pleasing Japanese World War 2 aircraft I have ever seen.

It looks like a P-47 Thunderbolt that got squished in half, length wise.

Have to agree with that, I don't hope it's a Raiden either.

I'm hoping for a A6M¨Zero or a N1K2J Shiden :)

PS: I really hope it's a Shiden ^^ :

Kawanishi_N1K2-J_at_NMNA_museum_(2).jpg

Edited by Hummingbird

Upon closer inspection it can't be any of these Japanese aircraft, the dimensions are off :-/

The torque stick dimensions are pretty weird to be honest, can't make them work in my head as I squeeze that oleo strut together :huh:

Is he trolling us?? :P

Edited by Hummingbird

The only thing that really sticks out in Rudel's pic is that the lower bar perpendicular to the main strut is a little over half the length of the mostly parallel upper bar. The N1K2 pictured above doesn't match that pattern, the two bars are about the same length on it. The J2M looks like a closer match, but even that doesn't seem to line up right.

Edit: I have to agree with Hummingbird, the dimensions don't look workable for a physical object. That strut couldn't compress much before the two bars bind on the strut itself and the bend for the wheel.

Edited by King_Hrothgar

Upon closer inspection it can't be any of these Japanese aircraft, the dimensions are off :-/

The torque stick dimensions are pretty weird to be honest, can't make them work in my head as I squeeze that oleo strut together :huh:

Is he trolling us?? :P

I see what you mean, the asymmetry makes it mechanically awkward, the lower portion of the oleo strut needs to pivot downward towards the ground, but then it might contact the wheel cradle... Plus the upper oleo's pivot doesn't seem to have much motion either.

Nothing like a mid-week riddle.

Though we need something to think about, it's been quiet around here recently...need some news!

-Nick

Edited by BlackLion213