Why we get the B-Model first?

DonJosh

Hello Guys,

maybe my questions is already answered somewhere, but i can't find it.

Why we get the B-Model first?

Normally it would be make more sense, when we get the A-Model first.

Maybe the Devs or someone can answer my question. Thank you :)

regards

Josh

Logical guess, there were more guys with B model experience involved with it's creation, and more deeper research is required for the A, it's been longer since it's been operational.
Make sense. Thanks

Gesendet von meinem BLA-L29 mit Tapatalk

tf-30 with its issues is more difficult to model than the reliable f-110

computers dont work like real life

unlike the real world, physics have to be coded in and the more primitive something is the harder it is to code for

this is also why cloth and wire ww1 aircraft are actually more complicated to model correctly than jets, and why analogue is harder to model than digital

you need to realize that complex physical interactions with the environment also constitute systems just as much as electronic boxes

"simple" systems irl are only simple because they offload more of their mechanisms into the existing environment

Also, it's far and away a better jet, and IMO works better with the other modules.

It's a shame we won't get a -D though. That would be a tour de force in DCS.

Quite frankly, I don't even want the -D. It's just crammed with digital displays, an extra HUD and has DFCS. Way less fun than the analogues beasts that are the -A and -B.

Quite frankly, I don't even want the -D. It's just crammed with digital displays, an extra HUD and has DFCS. Way less fun than the analogues beasts that are the -A and -B.

And there you just counted the reasons why I'd prefer the D. Not saying I don't like the B, though :D

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

While it may not be your cup of tea, no reason to try to shit on those who want newer, cooler toys.

Might be less fun, I agree, but it's a super capable aircraft. To the point where the Navy probably still doesn't have anything as capable as it was.

It could've got AMRAAM. And JDAM. There was room to go with it. Alas... :(

Before trying the B, I was sure I would have loved the -D but agree with above. I love the current model :)

Logical guess, there were more guys with B model experience involved with it's creation, and more deeper research is required for the A, it's been longer since it's been operational.

That is actually highly inaccurate, most squadrons never got the B, and some went from the A to the D. Majority of squadrons stayed with the A.

"Chops"

While it may not be your cup of tea, no reason to try to shit on those who want newer, cooler toys.

Not shitting on anything here, just stating an opinion. I would definitely "love" the -D if Heatblur decided to do one from a capability standpoint but i'd rather have them spend time and resources on say the A-6 or any other aircraft. You need to also remember that the -D had a different RADAR, IRST (if I recll correctly), lots of new systems in terms of the LCD displays and so on. While the -A and -B only mostly differ in the engines, the -D is a whole different beast.

Might be less fun, I agree, but it's a super capable aircraft. To the point where the Navy probably still doesn't have anything as capable as it was.

It could've got AMRAAM. And JDAM. There was room to go with it. Alas... :(

It did get JDAM...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

As accurately as they modeled the Tomcat, I cannot imagine the amount of screaming over how difficult the A would be to fly with those horrid TF30 engines flaming out and compressor stalling from being flown too hard.

I'm glad we got the B first. It's my favorite variant. Sure, only 9 fleet squadrons ever flew it, but 3 of those squadrons are in my top 5 favorites.

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

So did the B.
...but not our B. The late upgraded ones with GPS integration, etc.

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

;3856104']That is actually highly inaccurate' date=' most squadrons never got the B, and some went from the A to the D. Majority of squadrons stayed with the A.[/quote']He was not inaccurate. He said "Involved in the development"... ;)

Shagrat

Another F-14 sim 25 years ago simply ditched the A. lulz

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleet_Defender

Quote from the article:

"The game features exclusively the F-14B version of the aircraft, even in scenarios where it constitutes an anachronism, because the developers found that flying the original underpowered F-14A was very unforgiving and "not much fun" for a commercial flight simulator." :megalol:

Another F-14 sim 25 years ago simply ditched the A. lulz

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleet_Defender

Quote from the article:

"The game features exclusively the F-14B version of the aircraft, even in scenarios where it constitutes an anachronism, because the developers found that flying the original underpowered F-14A was very unforgiving and "not much fun" for a commercial flight simulator." :megalol:

Yep interesting detail - and they said it "without pimples", but one must also see their reasons.

25 years ago, the market for this genre of sims was somewhat different.

The costumer/enthusiast was not so knowledgeable (as today), about the aircrafts characteristics.

And as such, I imagine a big part of them would not understand or find much amusing an engine stalling frequently, or not providing the energy for the average guy to win a turning fight.

(Besides "some" realism, I believe the costumers of that time were also very focused in the "mission/objective acomplishment" when they bought flight sims.)

Which means, today there are probably much more people wanting a realistic F-14 (no matter how difficult to fly and employ), than there were 25 years ago.

So at that time, the companies couldn't push the realism / difficulty bar too high, otherwise they might be throwing away a big part of the costumer$$$.

Edited by Top Jockey

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

My personal guess would be, that people flying their sooooo beloved aircraft for the first time in their life in a realistic way with the underpowered and problematical A Version, they would probably be disappointed.

So we have now a real musscle car with plenty of power and everyone is happy.

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

My personal guess would be, that people flying their sooooo beloved aircraft for the first time in their life in a realistic way with the underpowered and problematical A Version, they would probably be disappointed.

So we have now a real musscle car with plenty of power and everyone is happy.

For many people (uninformed), yes certainly.

I see you also have the F-14, what's your impressions so far ?

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB