Mirrors

Gianky

So, after watching Jabbers video... am I the only one who thinks that, no matter how cool they are, mirrors aren't there to watch yourself reflected, but to show you what's on your six?

Don't you think HB should change that?

Did you actually see the video? Maybe you should take a look again...

I hope they are either adjustable, or will be reset later :)

Yes...? You can see behind. Like Victory205 mentioned, they are entirely for other purposes.

In DCS, mirrors are there to be stowed away, simply put.

This is a neat option to improve your FPS. Having said that I thought the mirrors in the vid looked outstanding

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

In DCS, mirrors are there to be stowed away, simply put.

Unfortunately in VR, where the mirrors should function as intended, they have to be in the folded up position due to the hit on fps. Let`s hope it gets tackled in the optimization pass.

In all fairness I may have moved my view back for those shots, I have an ultrawide and the record some things in 16:9 I have to get creative with the camera.

Thanks Jabbers, the view really seemed to much centered on the pilot, especially in the top mirror. Do you fly in VR, too, by any chance? If so, how's the mirror view in there?

Mirrors are for looking at your wingman and checking your wing position in certain maneuvers. Seeing bogey's in a mirror or looking at yourself is a waste of time.

Well, it looks like we're 50% in agreement! :D

Unfortunately in VR, where the mirrors should function as intended, they have to be in the folded up position due to the hit on fps. Let`s hope it gets tackled in the optimization pass.

I'm curious, what machine do you have? With the Rift, I don't notice any impact on fps, but I do have a new machine (except for the video card, which is still my old 1070).

P.S. Btw, Jabbers, thanks for the video, it was really awesome! The fever is constantly rising....

Edited by Gianky

I'm curious, what machine do you have? With the Rift, I don't notice any impact on fps, but I do have a new machine (except for the video card, which is still my old 1070).

P.S. Btw, Jabbers, thanks for the video, it was really awesome! The fever is constantly rising....

i7 4790k@4.6ghz, 24 gigs ram, SSD & RTX 2080. Mirrors do have an effect on fps and any drop in VR for the sake of mirrors is an unacceptable trade-off imo. Check your fps in VR the next time you toggle mirrors, with ASW off.

So, after watching Jabbers video... am I the only one who thinks that, no matter how cool they are, mirrors aren't there to watch yourself reflected, but to show you what's on your six?

Don't you think HB should change that?

if you see an enemy in your mirror, you are dead anyway

Regarding the mirrors. Any chance HB has pulled off a 1st and actually have the forward/back movement of the pilot correct in the mirror as well or will it be reversed like it currently is for all other modules? Anyone know? This really is more for VR users as I am not sure how much TiR users actually move forward. But us VR users often lean forward some and was curious if that is shown in mirrors correctly.

Edited by Torso

• 2 months later...

I get the impression that the reflected pilot is moving fore & aft when I move myself irl.

I'm still not sure why the mirrors seem to be angled to show just the pilot and nothing much else in the default view. Maybe navy pilots liked to do their lipstick on long flights?

I'm still not sure why the mirrors seem to be angled to show just the pilot and nothing much else in the default view. Maybe navy pilots liked to do their lipstick on long flights?

IIRC, they're positioned so that the pilot can see hand signals from the RIO in case of ICS comms failure.

Is something weird about them, as you move closer toward them the image of your pilot and pit gets smaller. It's opposite in the F-5.

+1

When I get closer to the mirror, my reflection goes further.. feels strange in VR...

Spanish Ala12rv Pilot 

Nevada TTR // Persian Gulf // Syria // South Atlantic

T.35C Tamiz // C-101 Mirlo // F-5E Tiger // FA-18C Hornet // Mirage F1 // EF2K!!! // F-14B Tomcat // F-16C Viper

MSI.Z690 // i9-12900F 5.1GHz // RTX3090 24GB // DDR5 5600Mhz 64GB

QuestPro // Hotas.Warthog // MFG.Crosswind // WW.Panels // TK.ICP // MFD.Cougar // Jetseat

the F-14 mirrors must be wrong as you cant even see RIO hand signals from any of them.

and mirrors are to look back, to hard reach direction. Just like in a car, you dont set mirrors so you see yourself or backseat but you sed directly back and then rear from the sides. otherwise you turn head to see wings and sides.

the problem we have is a mirror shape and resolution. a good mirror is curved so you can see wider area, in compromise of the magnification. not so that you see very narrow field of view for long range.

I so love not that in F-14 I can admire is my tie knot good....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Did quick checking, and found that L-39 has maybe the best mirror, second maybe to the Su-25T and Mig-21Bis mirrors. It is wide angle, it moves realistically following the head movement and it has all the ground details as well, so not just the terrain, but all trees, buildings, units, effects. You can easily observe your rear with it and spot a missile launch from a couple kilometer distance.

But the Mig-21Bis mirror has its flaw, as it is a flat on the up, instead it being a glass through to the mirror, unless there is a prism. Anyways it is just great mirror, and L-39 mirror is such that you can easily spot your wingman from kilometer distance all around you in VR, and use it to position yourself correctly etc!

F/A-18C has good ones by the curvature, but really the mirrors in the F-14 are for admiring the 3D modeling of the pilot.

The mirrors are IMHO a critical feature in the cockpit, not a visual FX, but actual purpose to be able dog fight, to fly in formations, to observe what did happen to ground troops that you bombed/attacked, to spot the incoming missile launched at you from rear etc etc etc.

I use the mirrors a lot, and in CAS they are super valuable as no need to turn head like a owl to see a six or turn quickly or roll to see it. It is so nice with mirrors to perform the correct turn away and then observe from mirrors what is happening, instead doing overfly.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.