F-14 will have Pre-purchase option?

TIGER

Why would you want to pre-purchase a piece of software? It is beyond me.

You pre-purchase to make sure that your copy is in stock at the time of release, which doesn't make sense for software as there is essentially infinite downloads.

Just buy it when it goes into public beta so you haven't just paid to wait?

You pre-purchase to make sure that your copy is in stock at the time of release, which doesn't make sense for software as there is essentially infinite downloads.

There's usually a 10-20% discount for pre-orders

Check my F-15C guide

You can get it out of the way and download it as soon as it is released

It's more of a way to say to the developer, "Here is how much I am interested in your product. I want it so much, that I will give you my money NOW so that you can use it right away or start saving it."

Basically, it's just feedback to the devs.

Frisco1522

That was someone at VEAO, it struck me as a BS statistic though as it's far too big without labor and not nearly enough with. It's even more dubious given that they have yet to release a single finished module. In any case, pre-orders help new developers get a bit of cash on the final stretch, but I'm not so sure it helps established ones. This is especially true since pre-orders tend to have a discount, so they end up making less money overall but get part of it a little sooner. But I would be surprised if LNS didn't offer a pre-order option, since it is fairly standard in both DCS and the gaming industry as a whole.

That was someone at VEAO, it struck me as a BS statistic though as it's far too big without labor and not nearly enough with.

I think that figure is all labor since there are effectively minimal "material costs". But numbers in that range for total cost of development have been mentioned in a few places. ED stated that their investment in the Bf109's flight model alone was $120K.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=126824

ED’s official stance on the Kickstarter funds was that they were spent on all aspects of the project, but as listed above, none were very close to being done whatsoever, the closest being the Me 109, which ED had sunk 120,000 USD of its own funds into the flight model. This did not include the model, cockpit model, cockpit systems, etc. It’s safe to assume that a DCS Module can reach well above 150,000 USD to complete.

Leatherneck mentioned on their facebook (last summer) that a full fidelity DCS module runs in the multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars in terms of total development cost.

It's nearly all the cost of labor (if I were to guess - with some costs for the right computer hardware, software, office space, etc). But the cost of expertise and time is the real driver of expense here.

-Nick

Given that the development costs of a module run to the $100,000 dollar mark, early purchase gives developers an injection of very needed cash. Unless of course you consider not being paid for 2 - 3 years despite pouring hours and hours of your time into a project is OK?

Leatherneck have released one very good module so far, and given that they are working very hard in their spare time, working towards going fully professional, I'd say that the comments about there being no point to pre-purchase rather misses the point.

No one is telling anyone they have to participate, but to say there is nothing in it to benefit the investors is extremely short sighted!

As far as track records go, I'd suggest that Leatherneck's reputation has been utterly proven - despite delays, and difficulties, the MiG-21Bis is a shining example of the quality software they produce. Given more resources, they will be able to recruit more staff, and possibly make the transition to full time development work. What's not to like about that?

I agree with NeilWillis. I might be hesitating to pre-purchase a plane from some other developers again, but concerning Leatherneck I am - despite their problems with the MiG-21 - pretty confident that once they tell us something they will do their very best to make it reality, and that's why I would pre-purchase a product of theirs any without hesitating (provided I am interested in the module of course).

I know by hard facts due to experience with LNS that they will deliver no matter what, an excellent and ground breaking product. That's why I would pre purchase LNS.

Gotta catch them all bandits! :joystick:

I always wondered how big is our DCS community and how many do spend money on modules.

High profile aircraft like the Typhoon, F-14 and F/A-18 will draw in bigger crowds I imagine - which is good for the future of DCS and hopefully encourages more third party creations to appear (to the DCS standard).

High profile aircraft like the Typhoon, F-14 and F/A-18 will draw in bigger crowds I imagine - which is good for the future of DCS and hopefully encourages more third party creations to appear (to the DCS standard).

And no more trainers ! I own all DCS modules except the 2 third party trainers. I don't want to encourage more of them.

I'm still curious if it's thousands of purchases, tens of thousands or even more...

There's 51000 members on the forums, say 20% own a module, it's still 10000. I think the community is much larger than what we think.

I do agree that trainers are rather unnecessary. In RL they serve the purpose to avoid crashing expensive fighters and attackers, but in DCS, hell it doesn't cost us anything to crash.

It should be a good year though, few trainers (tucano) and many fighters and attackers. (F14F14F14F14F14F14F14F14F14F14). 2017 is going to be a social life free year with DCS becoming so good.

Gotta catch them all bandits! :joystick:

• 1 month later...