Flight model and other early impressions - Page 8 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-09-2018, 10:14 AM   #71
Sirius

Guys... it's early access... please...

Of course the Yak-52 is going to have problems within the first few days to months. It isn't finished and requires a public environment to test it. Private testing can only get you so far when you have a massive community with the open beta branch who can rather report everything to you, and you check.

Spoiler:

PC Specs: AMD Ryzen 5, AMD Radeon RX 580, 24 GB DDR4, 128 SSD, 2 TB HDD
Modules: All but Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-21, and Normandy.
Discord: Sirius#0002
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:00 PM   #72
AcroGimp

Quick note on ailerons and spin behavior in the real Yak.

The Yak features a lot of very clever design elements - the ailerons are very powerful and remain energized and very effective deep into the stall given their slotted design and very slight offset hinge points.

They will NOT however take the plane out of a spin.

In-Spin aileron as I recall causes a slight flattening, Out-Spin aileron significantly accelerates the rate of rotation and flattens the spin as well. This is called an Aggravated Spin and I demonstrate one in a video I linked on my Advanced Spins thread.

And to clarify, I for one am not just complaining here, I want this module to be successful and in order for that to happen it needs to be right - especially if it is being portrayed as the result of a professional training tool development.

I am satisfied that the developers have more/better elements of the flight model in their internal build and am happy to wait for that to be released - but some things were so far out of sync with the real plane I felt compelled to comment on them. It seems that by and large ED is listening and taking the critique in the spirit intended (to help make it better).

'Gimp
AcroGimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:52 AM   #73
David OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadepiece View Post
It sadly true there is no real way to replicate it in the sim. You'd have to be feeling the real thing to get a good overall sense of what was happening. I think it's counterproductive to limit what you can do with the controls in the game in a way. I get that you would not physically be able to move the control surfices in certain situations, but artificially limiting the player with no way to communicate the forces acting on the stick is not a very good solution either.

I think DCS nails the flight modeling, but in my opinion the biggest downfall of sims is the inability to really feel the forces acting on the plane and the control surfices. Aircraft move around in the air a lot more than it seems to in the sim. Whether that results from a lack of modelling in the engine, or just not easily communicated when sat perfectly still in a computer chair is an entirely different question.

In the end though, DCS mimics the feeling of flight much better than any other sim in my opinion, based on my limited real life stock time. X-Plane 11 is getting pretty good too though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dali View Post
forgot to add - full size handle and properly modeled command rod/wires movement would help. But there is this gray area, where only feeling the forces and the movement of the commands and general feeling of the energy state of the airplane and its behaivour would come near to real flying. Its that "flight sim realism" debate.... cheers!
You could spend money on the brunner FFB joystick when the software is ready? I have spoken to these guy's and they are implementing DCS at some point, no timeline given. You can still adjust the force for now in DCS. I wish we had more options for FFB and one day we might? VKB have hinted....?

Brunner cls-e joystick $1.249 Euro!!
Peak Force 5Nm (5Kg at 10cm Stick length)
Travel +/- 25°

I'm will be considering it when the software is ready, if you think about the cost of flying IRL as a Hobby, this is a very small cost in comparison. Would be good to grab the rudder pedals too (Peak Force 200 N / 45 lbs), except there $1.749,00 Euro..!! Both for €2.868,00 and use a WH stick. mmm

"In DCS our control loading units work as USB devices with its normal functionality but no dynamic FFB. You can set a static force profile, but for now there is no FFB."

https://www.brunner-innovation.swiss...ls-e-joystick/
https://www.brunner-innovation.swiss...th-toe-brakes/

Some more gusty turbulent elements to the weather system would be nice too.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB
| ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides
to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

David OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:41 AM   #74
bbrz

If I can afford a Brunner or similar expensive joystick, I'd really rent an aerobatic airplane for a few flights instead!
This super-realistic experience will last forever
bbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:14 AM   #75
David OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrz View Post
If I can afford a Brunner or similar expensive joystick, I'd really rent an aerobatic airplane for a few flights instead!
This super-realistic experience will last forever
Well on that front, I'm looking into hang gliding and jumping off a cliff instead.
Looks like heaps of fun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG7IyE1hoRA

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB
| ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides
to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

David OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:40 AM   #76
bbrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by David OC View Post
Well on that front, I'm looking into hang gliding and jumping off a cliff instead.
In both cases it's falling, not flying.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:42 AM   #77
Nealius
Veteran

Hey, falling with style.

ASUS Z170 | i5-7600 | RTX2070 | 32GB DDR4 | Windows 10
Nealius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:42 AM   #78
Bourrinopathe

Thumbs up

Thanks a million to AcroGimp for sharing his experience and impressions with us!

I'm having a blast with the Yak and I really wasn't excited about it before release. I'm now in the process of learning what I can.

I really hope ED will fix the few discrepancies and EA hiccups along the way. The next patch certainly makes it look like it.

I thought I'd share this video from AcroGimp as it's really interesting and I didn't see it on the Yak forum. Maybe I just missed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acr_PQGdO2k

Last edited by Bourrinopathe; 08-14-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Bourrinopathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:55 AM   #79
bbrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourrinopathe View Post
I thought I'd share this video from AcroGimp as it's really interesting and I didn't see it on the Yak forum. Maybe I just missed it.
Yep, you missed it….https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=217781

Last edited by bbrz; 08-14-2018 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:27 PM   #80
Bourrinopathe

Indeed! Thanks for linking the correct thread