Flight model and other early impressions - Page 7 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-06-2018, 06:07 PM   #61
dali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo-Yo View Post
No cuvature can do it. Even FFB stick can not do it properly because of low forces.
By the way, if you have kilograms of force per 1g for the real stick the additional force due to flaps down downwash can be, say, 200-300 g abruptly applied to the stick and causing it to move. The proportional amount for the FFB joystick with 100-150 g PER 1G will be 20-30 g that is comparable with dry friction and the amount of travel causing by this force is comparable to the free play. So, quite innoticable...
I know that, I flew jet from the 60's in my air force days. What we need are long joystick rods.
dali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:34 PM   #62
aaron886
Veteran

I have a joystick extended from the floor, it doesn't fix the problem. For what it's worth, I naturally adapted to the flap pitch moment with forward pressure the way I would in a real airplane. Most small airplanes have an appreciable change in pitch moment with flaps that must be anticipated and compensated for, so I really didn't find this "wrong" in any way.

Yo-Yo, am I correct in understanding that all calculations in the Yak are stick-fixed? Would using hinge moments help with damping at higher speeds?

Last edited by aaron886; 08-06-2018 at 10:39 PM.
aaron886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:32 PM   #63
zhukov032186

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcomm View Post
we would all be satisfied
Wanna bet?

As far as I can see, it seems this thread has degenerated into complaining that the game is a game and doesn't have the 'real' feeling of a 'real' plane. I can only say that people can get a taste of the real thing for about $25-40/hr renting gliders, or $100ish /hr renting powered aircraft. Quite affordable even if only a few hours a month
Old 08-07-2018, 07:26 PM   #64
jcdenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhukov032186 View Post
this thread has degenerated into complaining that the game doesn't have the 'real' feeling of... the real thing for about $25-40/hr... or $100ish /hr renting powered aircraft.
It's $210/hr to rent an 8KCAB with an instructor. If you don't mind listening to old people talking about clouds and/or bathtubs, then the local soaring club is the most economical and fun way to fly, but there are only a handful of places where you can do glider aerobatics.

For a fully authentic psychosomatic experience, a gym membership and a swivel chair are necessary, to aggravate the hemorrhoids and induce motion sickness respectively. (Don't forget to hydrate.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroGimp View Post
The snap/snatch is very well modeled, this is a unique characteristic of the Yak that catches new Yak pilots by surprise and it is exactly as I experience in my Yak when I ask too much.

The post stall/ballistic behavior is also very well modeled and matches my experience.
That's exciting. It will be a useful supplement to aerobatic training, once the energy retention and p-factor/torque/lateral trim issues are addressed. (High AoA modeling in Northrop-Grumman's FS2004 Special Edition™ is lacking, and nobody has 350 hours of rotary-engine Camel time to validate Rise of Flight's.)

Of course, I'll be refreshing the page every five minutes until you post about spins. This is the first consumer software to accurately model (aerobatic) inverted spins.
jcdenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:39 PM   #65
bbrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdenton View Post
This is the first consumer software to accurately model (aerobatic) inverted spins.
Talking about spins; Are the ailerons really so powerful that opposite aileron completely stops the spin like in the DCS Yak-52?

On most planes I flew, in spin aileron accelerates the spin and opposite aileron flattens the spin.
bbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:12 PM   #66
swagchimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrz View Post
Talking about spins; Are the ailerons really so powerful that opposite aileron completely stops the spin like in the DCS Yak-52?

On most planes I flew, in spin aileron accelerates the spin and opposite aileron flattens the spin.
I'm not sure how applicable this is to the Yak, but I regularly fly a K-21 and anti-spin aileron will usually lead to recovery in that thing, even if it takes longer than the normal recovery procedure. At first the aircraft will bank away from the spin but then it will pitch down soon after, which leads to an increase in airspeed and therefore recovery, although often at moderate-high sideslip angles. Pro-spin aileron on the other hand will have next to no effect, maybe increasing the yaw rate slightly. I've also flown a Pilatus B4 which needs pro-spin aileron all the way through the spin, or it will recover instantly.
swagchimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:15 PM   #67
Yo-Yo
ED Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrz View Post

No, they are not.
The point is that this early access build does not include last changes regarding the post-stall behaviour. Rather, I should say, it's a model of early days of the Yak... So, be patient and wait for the next build.

Opposite ailerons flatten spin.
Yo-Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:27 PM   #68
bbrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo-Yo View Post
So, be patient and wait for the next build.
Opposite ailerons flatten spin.
Sounds absolutely great! Looking forward to every tiny improvement, thanx

@swagchimp. Gliders are completely different animals, especially when it's about spins etc...apart from the Lo100 maybe...
bbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:30 PM   #69
swagchimp

Yeah I wasn't sure. I've never done aerobatics in a powered airplane if that makes it any better. Sorry for the confusion anyway.
swagchimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:00 AM   #70
dali

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron886 View Post
I have a joystick extended from the floor, it doesn't fix the problem. For what it's worth, I naturally adapted to the flap pitch moment with forward pressure the way I would in a real airplane. Most small airplanes have an appreciable change in pitch moment with flaps that must be anticipated and compensated for, so I really didn't find this "wrong" in any way.

Yo-Yo, am I correct in understanding that all calculations in the Yak are stick-fixed? Would using hinge moments help with damping at higher speeds?
forgot to add - full size handle and properly modeled command rod/wires movement would help. But there is this gray area, where only feeling the forces and the movement of the commands and general feeling of the energy state of the airplane and its behaivour would come near to real flying. Its that "flight sim realism" debate.... cheers!
dali is offline   Reply With Quote