[POLL] Cockpit visibility: would you prefer dirt and sun glare to be reduced?

cuervo111

[POLL] Cockpit visibility: would you prefer dirt and sun glare to be reduced?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. [POLL] Cockpit visibility: would you prefer dirt and sun glare to be reduced?

• Yes. Visibility is worse than it should. Sun glare should be similar to other DCS modules.
    • No. I am happy with the current cockpit and I think visibility is as it should be.

I understand why some may like the dirty canopy, but I believe it’s very unrealistic for those who want to use this in a Korea or Vietnam context. I find it hard to believe the canopy could reach that state in regular service while near new.

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

I understand why some may like the dirty canopy, but I believe it’s very unrealistic for those who want to use this in a Korea or Vietnam context. I find it hard to believe the canopy could reach that state in regular service while near new.

Well, if canopy grit is a sticking point for realism, then the Fishbed is, too. The MiG-21bis never saw action over Vietnam during the US involvement. The bis was acquired in '79. It didn't even reach the VVS and PVO squadrons until '77. I could be wrong on those dates, but I'm probably pretty close. At anyrate, I'm positive the bis didn't arrive in Vietnamese squadrons until '79. I believe they're all retired, as well.

And KPAF -21s are pretty haggard, by and large. But, that's what happens when funds are hard to come by.

All that said, it would be way more effective to argue that a nation like Croatia, who presently operates the MiG-21bis and isn't a reclusive hermit country under numerous sanctions would have cleaner canopies. I'm also going to bet that Bulgarian crews maintained a certain cleanliness. Along with the Serbs, too.

It's not bothered me or even really degraded my performance. I see through it just fine, get kills just fine, but a little cleaning wouldn't be hated.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Well, if canopy grit is a sticking point for realism, then the Fishbed is, too. The MiG-21bis never saw action over Vietnam during the US involvement. The bis was acquired in '79. It didn't even reach the VVS and PVO squadrons until '77. I could be wrong on those dates, but I'm probably pretty close. At anyrate, I'm positive the bis didn't arrive in Vietnamese squadrons until '79. I believe they're all retired, as well.

And KPAF -21s are pretty haggard, by and large. But, that's what happens when funds are hard to come by.

All that said, it would be way more effective to argue that a nation like Croatia, who presently operates the MiG-21bis and isn't a reclusive hermit country under numerous sanctions would have cleaner canopies. I'm also going to bet that Bulgarian crews maintained a certain cleanliness. Along with the Serbs, too.

It's not bothered me or even really degraded my performance. I see through it just fine, get kills just fine, but a little cleaning wouldn't be hated.

I'm happy to concede the -bis model was not in Vietnam based on your belief. Obviously I shouldn't have mentioned Korea either, I don't know what I was smoking when I said that but I wish I'd saved some. I'm not a student of history at the best of times.

What I should have said, and what I was really getting at, is a lot of people like to use this a/c in a historical / alternate history (eg cold war gone hot) context. Forcing something on them that reflects the state it would be in now would be anachronistic, and that's before considering the practical problems many report using the canopy in this state.

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

What I should have said, and what I was really getting at, is a lot of people like to use this a/c in a historical / alternate history (eg cold war gone hot) context. Forcing something on them that reflects the state it would be in now would be anachronistic, and that's before considering the practical problems many report using the canopy in this state.

I have to agree with this point, over all. It'd be a good option to have in DCS to designate the quality of an aircraft. After all, well funded air forces want to see their members reflect a certain esprit de corps within their work.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Still commenting? This topic is now over. M3 are adding a clean screen:

http://leatherneck-sim.com/summer-2018-update/

Last but not least is a small note on MiG-21bis canopy. We’ve noticed that changes made to it did not please all of you guys and resulted in an ongoing debate on that matter, with a number of concerns raised. To fully meet your expectations, a decision was made to provide another set of liveries for the canopy with cleaner and more combat focused state of glass. This will be delivered along with another major update to the cockpit which is planned to rectify some incorrections in shape and length of the cockpit.

Still commenting? This topic is now over. M3 are adding a clean screen:

http://leatherneck-sim.com/summer-2018-update/

Glad to see it. Thanks for posting this, if you hadn't I wouldn't have known.

• 5 weeks later...