What Would You Think About a Fully-developed CA Module?

rassy7

I love CA and think it's an absolutely incredible addition to the game. I think ED pitches DCS as an avsim/air combat sim and that's appropriate, but what would happen if ED or third parties started working out a CA module, like, for instance, an Abrams, or a Sherman or a Tiger or even something that isn't a tank, like any kind of artillery? We could see real, expanded ground warfare play.

I know it's been touched on several times, briefly, but what about even the most bare bones FPS soldier, something like a mobile video game quality to start? Just some way to play as a solder vs other soldiers within a city.

That would open a whole new door to this game and unlock the real power of these awesome new, highly-detailed maps, which I think are a shame only to view from the air.

Thoughts?

The State Military (MAG 13)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

SHEEP WE-01

AV-8B BuNo 164553

VMA-214

Col J. “Poe” Rasmussen

http://www.statelyfe.com

Specs: Gigabyte Z390 Pro Wifi; i9-9900K; EVGA 2080 Ti Black; 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4; Samsung 970 EVO Series M.2 SSD; WIN10; ASUS VG248QE; CV-1 and Index

Modules: A-10C; AV8B; CA; FC3; F-5; F-14; F-18; F-86; HAWK; L-39; P-51; UH1H; NTTR; Normandy; Persian Gulf

I doubt I would buy a module.

However, I think it would be an absolutely amazing experience to go in on a target knowing its human controlled. I hope you get your wish because it would certainly affect a lot of us in a positive way.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Ya, that's sort of my question. I mean there is always the hope that enough people would buy CA and modules to create an full grown-war option, but I think the real thrill would be to bring some of my favorite experiences from Arma to DCS. There's just nothing like operating on the ground, advancing on a field or forest, know intelligent humans are moving around in there, strategizing and waiting for me, while hearing the roar of jets and buzz of helos above, making passes and communicating with the ground troops to organize on a target that can think and react and adjust to air threats.

To some degree, actually, it's already possible. I guess what I'm really asking is, how can ED create a more competitive ground environment that people want to flock to in order to create some of this dynamic, air/ground warfare? High-quality, interactive modules seems to excite people and pull them in and people tend to play with the modules they spend a lot of money on. Could be some cool SEAL ops with the new water setup as well. Pilotable RHIBs and SCUBA divers, landing crafts with unloadable, human-drivable vehicles.

In Arma, sim lovers wish the flying was more realistic. In DCS, some people, like me, with the ground war was more detailed. I think whoever figures this out first is going to open some eyes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

SHEEP WE-01

AV-8B BuNo 164553

VMA-214

Col J. “Poe” Rasmussen

Specs: Gigabyte Z390 Pro Wifi; i9-9900K; EVGA 2080 Ti Black; 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4; Samsung 970 EVO Series M.2 SSD; WIN10; ASUS VG248QE; CV-1 and Index

Modules: A-10C; AV8B; CA; FC3; F-5; F-14; F-18; F-86; HAWK; L-39; P-51; UH1H; NTTR; Normandy; Persian Gulf

I'm sure your right. How to do it though, no idea. I know a guy or two in my group would love to drive some Abrams around but it seems to me (and I don't know the stats) that full fidelity tank simmers seems to be an even smaller subset than full fidelity aircraft simmers.

I would think that FC3 level tanks would be the best way to get people in. I might buy an easy to drive tank but its more work than I'm willing to put in to go to a full fidelity.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

I’d be quite happy if the existing CA module was revolved such that we could use the already embedded vehicles and the new WW2 units. I did think that we were told we’d get that.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I purchased the CA module just yesterday having been plane sim only for a while, but after driving a tank the weekend I thought I would have a go within DCS.

I have to say its a whole new experience snooping around on the ground and definitely something I'd like to spend more time with. The main thing letting it down in it's current state is the disapointing low resolution graphics of the vehicles and lack of head tracking in VR... Somethings broken there.

The mission editor in DCS is already excellent, so this for me would be definitely something I'd invest more in.

PS.. I'm new to tanks, but I was driving an Abrams in DCS already yesterday.

Intel Core i3 8350K 4GHz, MSI RTX 2080 Super, AS Rock Z370 Pro4 Motherboard, Samsung SSD, 32G DDR4 RAM, Windows 10 PRO 64 Bit

Rift-S, Tripple Samsung 27" C27F Display, Hotas Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals, EDtracker, Track IR.

I would think that FC3 level tanks would be the best way to get people in.

Ya, I would be Ok with this. I have few issues with the current F-15. I'm looking forward to the F-15E, but the C model has been fun for a long time and I think FC3 level vehicles modules would be great.

There is a whole world of DCS I think has been underutilized—ground ops.s It's actually possible to play an all-RTS-style mission. I've gone at the AI with a ground war, just moving unit around as a tactical cmdr and that was fun, hopping into a vehicle every now and then, I think a community that cares about operating on the ground and some mission-building centered around ground ops with air support would add to both the pilots and ground crews.

I sure hope they make some attempt to spice that up a little. I think we're so very close right now and just maybe one more inch could really bring about some new ideas and missions.

We'll see I guess.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

SHEEP WE-01

AV-8B BuNo 164553

VMA-214

Col J. “Poe” Rasmussen

Absolutely! I hope that's at least on their radar, because it's kind of unacceptable. Has anyone mentioned any progress on that or is it likely just a lost cause?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

SHEEP WE-01

AV-8B BuNo 164553

VMA-214

Col J. “Poe” Rasmussen

Actually, you know what would maybe move the needle a little is some form of organized CA unit like all the squadrons the pilots have. Call it whatever, design all the stuff, start a website, design some co-op missions and invite various air units to provide cover and air support. I bet that would get some traction. If there isn't one already, someone should start one. Someone who actually knows about those tactics and strategies.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

SHEEP WE-01

AV-8B BuNo 164553

VMA-214

Col J. “Poe” Rasmussen

I just don't get why a game named Digital Combat Simulator would find something like the introduction a Yak 52 is more important than sorting out basics like the VR isn't working in ground combat simulation? The CA module has so much potential.:doh:

Intel Core i3 8350K 4GHz, MSI RTX 2080 Super, AS Rock Z370 Pro4 Motherboard, Samsung SSD, 32G DDR4 RAM, Windows 10 PRO 64 Bit

Rift-S, Tripple Samsung 27" C27F Display, Hotas Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals, EDtracker, Track IR.

I'd happily pay again if it meant more control on ground units.

- JTAC model with proper binoculars and laser marker. A mortar team or arty for marking vs current easy marking.

- Fixed infantry movement and tactics - so they for example don't shoot each other up when one in front of another.

- First person view for infantry - even with current graphics - would be cool. Esecially as JTAC - would help a lot.

- Artillery with selectable type & number of rounds to be fired + more parameters.

- Proper splash damage

- infantry boarding vehicles and helicopters

- Infantry entering the buildings (just like boarding vehicles)

- ejected pilot model synchronised with other players , so possible SAR pickups.

- More sophisticated damage models and animations for the vehicles - I believe currently all vehicles have the same. They just start to smoke and blow up.

- And AI killing building in line of sight to the enemy bug - fixed

- Civilians models, to make the JTAC missions more challanging and realistic

- Ability to evacuate wounded infantry.

Edited by Skitter

Ya, that's sort of my question. I mean there is always the hope that enough people would buy CA and modules to create an full grown-war option, but I think the real thrill would be to bring some of my favorite experiences from Arma to DCS. There's just nothing like operating on the ground, advancing on a field or forest, know intelligent humans are moving around in there, strategizing and waiting for me, while hearing the roar of jets and buzz of helos above, making passes and communicating with the ground troops to organize on a target that can think and react and adjust to air threats.

To some degree, actually, it's already possible. I guess what I'm really asking is, how can ED create a more competitive ground environment that people want to flock to in order to create some of this dynamic, air/ground warfare? High-quality, interactive modules seems to excite people and pull them in and people tend to play with the modules they spend a lot of money on. Could be some cool SEAL ops with the new water setup as well. Pilotable RHIBs and SCUBA divers, landing crafts with unloadable, human-drivable vehicles.

In Arma, sim lovers wish the flying was more realistic. In DCS, some people, like me, with the ground war was more detailed. I think whoever figures this out first is going to open some eyes.

Absolutely agree with your sentiments. I know that some people would not want to drive vehicles and there are some who don’t want to fly aircraft and either choice is fine. What both groups seem to agree on is the increased challenge and satisfaction of competing and killing human opponents! I have played a bit of Arma and quite a bit more aircraft DCS..I would definitely go for an improved CA module.

Edited by TheKardinal
Grammar

There is so much to update in the current CA module to make it a great addition to DCS instead of a mediocre addition.

Given the work ED is going to do on the module, giving us the options as discussed in previous threads without making every tank a seperate module with high-fidelity views and controls will go a long way in keeping CA owners satisfied.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

At some point ED actually considered implementing a full fidelity tank module (specifically the M1 Abrams), but that didn't work out for unkown reasons (see here for some infos about it). I'm pretty confident though that at some point in the future we will actually get such a module in DCS.

Would I buy such a module? A tank module, most definitely! A ship module, for sure! An infantry module, not so much, even though I love infantry, but I can't see it play out within DCS.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Actually, you know what would maybe move the needle a little is some form of organized CA unit like all the squadrons the pilots have. Call it whatever, design all the stuff, start a website, design some co-op missions and invite various air units to provide cover and air support. I bet that would get some traction. If there isn't one already, someone should start one. Someone who actually knows about those tactics and strategies.

I have a group that is looking for dedicated CA members. UK Navalops

www.uknavalops.co.uk . We use a real person acting as JTAC. We are recruiting well for pilots, but have had no interest in the CA side of DCS.

The CA unit is focussed on Royal Marines mainly for RECCE but theres no reason why we couldnt have a tank unit or two.

I have a group that is looking for dedicated CA members. UK Navalops

www.uknavalops.co.uk . We use a real person acting as JTAC. We are recruiting well for pilots, but have had no interest in the CA side of DCS.

The CA unit is focussed on Royal Marines mainly for RECCE but theres no reason why we couldnt have a tank unit or two.

This is great. Need more of this. I assume you're posted in the Squadron Directory in the Multiplayer forum already?

How much fun would it be to run a Red vs Blue, king of the hill, or attack/defend scenario with two CA teams with air support working against each other? Even if it was only around 10v10 or so, that would be fun.

And I'll check out the Navalops group.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

SHEEP WE-01

AV-8B BuNo 164553

VMA-214

Col J. “Poe” Rasmussen

• 2 weeks later...

I'd buy modules for Combined Arms. I just recently got into it, after owning it for a long time. Decimating an airbase with an M1A2 Abrams is fun! And I haven't tried the other stuff yet. If you have it and haven't tried it yet, maybe you bought it on sale and forgot you had it, like me, give it a try!

I saw a post with beautiful screens of a new ship recently as well. And if ED should decide to make a ship player controllable with weapons systems and navigation, I'd spend money on that, too. Just thought I'd mention it.