Takeoff problems

Mirtma

My primary occupation these days was takeoff training. For me it's real hard (and I'm not new with flightsims) . I've read quick start, manual, training "with instructor" ... I've set rudder sensitivity on stick. Problem was when gaining speed and slowly and gently adding throttle, plane begin to turn to right (or left - depends on my rudder trim: 4-6° right). Then, when trying to correct with rudder it was too much. No matter how gently I input rudder. :joystick:

Then I give up and set autorudder and take off help. Much, much easier. But still ... that's not it. Reading again. And I found out that I didn't pull stick back to lock tailwheel. With that I could take of (but it was not pretty). :pilotfly:

Still I wonder - is it really so hard or is it just me?

Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X | i5 10600K@4700 | 32 Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | Gigabyte Aorus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G |

MONITOR IIYAMA 24,5" LED LCD @ 1920 x 1080 | Windows 11

| Saitek X-55 Rhino | TrackIR 5 Pro

No, it's not that hard :)

Do this:

Spawn onto runway. Leave Rudder Trim at Default, especially in a cross-wind condition: Nothing gets you killed faster (Trim is still a WIP). Lock tailwheel with stick back and then return to neutral, ensure wheel-brakes are off (via control indicator) and slowly advance MP to 42 inHg (no more). Keep her aligned with small amounts of rudder input and she'll fly herself off the runway.

pt54i1_dlys

Edited by 159th_Viper

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Yes it is (sort off) ! practice, practice... Take-off if is more a muscle training than a logical procedure.

When you already see that something goes wrong - it's already too late.

You have to counteract gradually while it is happening - not after it.

Do this:

Spawn onto runway. Leave rudder trim at default (Trim is still a WIP). Lock tailwheel with stick back and then return to neutral, ensure wheel-brakes are off (via control indicator) and slowly advance MP to 42 inHg (no more). Keep her aligned with small amounts of rudder input and she'll fly herself off the runway.

pt54i1_dlys

What RPM on takeoff, 31 (MIL)? or 27?

What RPM on takeoff, 31 (MIL)? or 27?

RPM is governed by MP. At 42 inHg all you are getting is *27* (edit - just checked, actually 29) with propeller control handle full forward.

Edited by 159th_Viper
Error rectified

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

When you already see that something goes wrong - it's already too late.

Indeed.

Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X | i5 10600K@4700 | 32 Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | Gigabyte Aorus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G |

In that case it both you and me :cry:

Done 53.7 million takeoffs in IL-2 Ben Dover where in particular the Blenheim is a monster you need to fight, furiously, all the way up to 4000ft but after this - the blenny is something you just fly away with popping a beer while at it.

Hopefully the beta is not properly modelled for takeoff or any coop mission will be at danger (for me who sucs that is).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Do this:

Spawn onto runway. Leave Rudder Trim at Default, especially in a cross-wind condition: Nothing gets you killed faster (Trim is still a WIP). Lock tailwheel with stick back and then return to neutral, ensure wheel-brakes are off (via control indicator) and slowly advance MP to 42 inHg (no more). Keep her aligned with small amounts of rudder input and she'll fly herself off the runway.

Tnx Viper. Will try. Good video, nice flying. :smilewink:

According to manual

Stick slightly aft, to lock tail.

Rudder trim +5

Prop level max. 31hg

As rolling starts when you get rudder control - relax stick to neutral.

At 50 IAS, advance power to 51hg.

At 100 IAS, move stick slightly for (to get tail off ground) and slightly right.

Aircraft takes off by itself. No issues.

Here's a track. Quick takeoff and landing.

takeoff.trk

Edited by SimFreak
  • Like 1

In that case it both you and me :cry:

Done 53.7 million takeoffs in IL-2 Ben Dover where in particular the Blenheim is a monster you need to fight, furiously, all the way up to 4000ft but after this - the blenny is something you just fly away with popping a beer while at it.

Hopefully the beta is not properly modelled for takeoff or any coop mission will be at danger (for me who sucs that is).

:smilewink: Well, if nothing else it helps to know, that I'm not alone. :music_whistling:

According to manual

Rudder trim +5

Prop level max. 31hg

At 50 KIAS, advance power to 51hg.

At 100 KIAS, move stick slightly for (to get tail off ground) and slightly right.

Thanks! I have been running with prop max and have done good takeoffs but this lines it all out nicly ;)

(HJ)

Tail in unlocked forward of neutral, ergo still locked at neutral as well as aft of neutral. Leaving stick centred more ergonomic and just one less thing to worry about.

Rudder trim +5

Trim is not implemented.

What you are doing when dialling in 5 degree trim is moving the entire rudder 5 degrees off-centre as opposed to the trim-tab. Neither good nor advisable for people with no previous prop experience in learning to take-off with the Mustang.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

At 100 KIAS, move stick slightly for (to get tail off ground) and slightly right.

I've read the manual but I must have missed that last part.

IT ACTUALLY WORKS!

God I love you SimFreak, how can I rep you 56 times in a batch? :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

No problems!

I guess somebody replicates my post in one thousand copies... :)

Use rudder trim if there is no sidewind, do not use trim - it's all up to you. :)

You can set 40-46-50-55-61" MP as you wish. The key thing is to ANTICIPATE her. When you push the stick to raise the tail you must push right pedal. As you stop rotation you must apply opposite rudder because extra right rudder input was necessary only during rotation.

As the plane is in 2-point attitude the necessary amount of right rudder is less than you are running in three-point attitude. Stick forward and right rudder - hold attitude and left rudder... life is fine!

Actually the average rudder input is about 4-6 deg right.

Try to rotate at 46" then slowly add to 55-61" as you are at two wheels - it's a valued technic too.

UPD

Having about 33% of fuel in ME you can begin to rotate even at 60-80 mph and 100 mph in two-point attitude. Then the plane take off itself.

If the GW (not fuel!) is 100% of maximal GW (payloads and full fuel load) begin to rotate at higher IAS.

Edited by Yo-Yo

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Tail in unlocked forward of neutral, ergo still locked at neutral as well as aft of neutral. Leaving stick centred more ergonomic and just one less thing to worry about.

Trim is not implemented.

What you are doing when dialling in 5 degree trim is moving the entire rudder 5 degrees off-centre as opposed to the trim-tab. Neither good nor advisable for people with no previous prop experience in learning to take-off with the Mustang.

I assume once rudder tab is implemented, it would matter. So far it works. Regarding tail lock, is there indicator that tells when its released?

I've read the manual but I must have missed that last part.

IT ACTUALLY WORKS!

God I love you SimFreak, how can I rep you 56 times in a batch? :thumbup:

That little bit is mighty important :D

Edit: Finally reached 500 posts after 9 years on this forum.

Edited by SimFreak

• ED Team
According to manual

Rudder trim +5

Prop level max. 31hg

At 50 KIAS, advance power to 51hg.

Here's a track. Quick takeoff and landing.

Do you mean mph IAS?

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

I assume once rudder tab is implemented, it would matter

Well, yes of course, otherwise it would not be necessary to implement. At present I personally find it it more of a hindrance when learning the finer nuances of rudder control needed, especially when you are learning to take-off. Then again, there are more than one way to skin cats.

Regarding tail lock, is there indicator that tells when its released?

No. Well, the doughnuts shortly after commencing your take-off roll is usually a good indicator but that's not strictly relevant.

Edited by 159th_Viper
Clarification

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

Trim is not implemented.

I would disagree... the trim is impemented it's functional but there are some issues that do not affect trim functions. If you use trim you will apply right and left rudder at TO but the average value is about 4-6 deg.

If you do not use trim you will apply generally various amount right rudder (may be a little bit of left for damping).

Do you mean mph IAS?

"KIAS is "knots indicated airspeed", the speed shown on an aircraft's pitot-static airspeed indicator."

Unless Pony doesn't use knots and uses mph.... (quick look at manual) which it does

Airspeed Indicator

The Type F-2 Airspeed Indicator is a sensitive differential pressure gauge that measures the difference between pitot tube impact air pressure and static air pressure. The indicator displays Indicated Airspeed (IAS) and is graduated from 0 to 700 mph. The scale is to 10 mph from 50 to 300 mph and to 50 mph thereafter. The Red Line indicates the maximum permissible IAS of 505 mph at an altitude of 5,000 ft and less.

ops.

My primary occupation these days was takeoff training. For me it's real hard (and I'm not new with flightsims) . I've read quick start, manual, training "with instructor" ... I've set rudder sensitivity on stick. Problem was when gaining speed and slowly and gently adding throttle, plane begin to turn to right (or left - depends on my rudder trim: 4-6° right). Then, when trying to correct with rudder it was too much. No matter how gently I input rudder. :joystick:

Then I give up and set autorudder and take off help. Much, much easier. But still ... that's not it. Reading again. And I found out that I didn't pull stick back to lock tailwheel. With that I could take of (but it was not pretty). :pilotfly:

Hello Mirtma,

I started flying P-51D today, and I used the second tutorial for takeoff. I couldn't agree more. After 5 attempts of takeoff, a mix of control changes on the T flight hotas X that I have, and 4 grass flips, 1 torque flip on the runway, I got frustrated. I'm not using t/o assistance (0%) nor autorudder. But I tell you this, for the first time since A-10C, takeoff was never that challenging. Luckily, upon going through the manual for like the 4th time, reading about takeoffs, the way she takes off is pretty easier compared to the A-10C.

Here are my remarks (ehem:smartass:)

• You set rudder trim 4-5 degrees starboard (EHEM! right :)
  • Set flaps down to 10 degrees
  • You hold the wheelbrake down.
  • Throttle gradual to M.P. 30'' inHg
  • Pull the stick back halfway the axis (use RCtrl+Enter to get a look)
  • Keep holding the stick
  • Release the wheel brake and let the aircraft move a bit to the runway
  • She'll start fishtailing, correct rudder and increase MP to 46'' inHg
  • Keep your eye on one instrument - the Airspeed indicator.
  • As soon as you're 90 mph, let go the stick to the neutral position. Twist it or rudder correct to use the RUDDERS and not the tail wheel.

Your objective is to break lock of tail wheel as the tail begins to rise first around 93 mph. Once that is done, you've practically turned to an A-10C.

Now all you gots to do, is to keep the throttle locked in place and not advance it further. Airspeed will build up, and at 110 kts, pull the stick back slightly. She'll go off. Once off ground trim reset the rudder/aileron/elevators, and use neutral stick scheme to control.

I've attached my success track. Landing will take sometime to master as you'll see.

http://www.mediafire.com/?5alum2vbq7biqu8

• Like 1

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Tnx noc_orthodontist. Will try.

• ED Team

Very short tutorial video.

Holy Smokes! I spoke too soon (http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=87569).

That'll learn me for making a stupid assumption about the state of ground handling/take-off fidelity ... (Note to self: Assumption ... making an ass out of myself. Try not to do it again).

Anyways, thanks to those of you who shared their tips and procedures.

"A true 'sandbox flight sim' requires hi-fidelity flyable non-combat utility/support aircraft."

Wishlist Terrains - Bigger maps

Wishlist Modules - A variety of utility aircraft to better reflect the support role. E.g. Flying the Hornet ... big yawn ... flying a Caribou on a beer run to Singapore? Count me in. Extracting a Recon Patrol from a hastily prepared landing strip at a random 6 figure grid reference? Now yer talking!

Holy Smokes! I spoke too soon (http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=87569).

That'll learn me for making a stupid assumption about the state of ground handling/take-off fidelity ... (Note to self: Assumption ... making an ass out of myself. Try not to do it again).

Anyways, thanks to those of you who shared their tips and procedures.

:smilewink: You turn autorudder and takeoff help off?