Show me your mad dogfighting skills!

Wags

Remember, if you have an enemy on your 6, feed in some rudder, so you are skidding/sliding. It may not fool an AI enemy, but in multiplayer, it will probably fool a human,

Thank you for the tip. You mean in a turn with enemy behind me, right and what does it accomplish? I seriously don't know.

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

Thank you for the tip. You mean in a turn with enemy behind me, right and what does it accomplish? I seriously don't know.

A human opponent may perceive you to be turning tighter than you actually are, thus feeding too much deflection in his aiming. But I don't think that would fool a K14 gunsight, though.

Edited by ATAG_Snapper

Ahh. Thank you. I don't know, but it might as you might be inclined to pull more G than you need to in order to get the shot, and a number of things can happen from there. I'm just guessing.

• ED Team
A human opponent may perceive you to be turning tighter than you actually are, thus feeding too much deflection in his aiming. But I don't think that would fool a K14 gunsight, though.

Yes - I agree, the K14 gunsight improves the probability of a hit. But remember, what is important is not where the aircraft will be when you fire the guns, but where it will actually be when the bullets arrive.

To Leafer, in a turn, or flying straight and level, an aircraft is predictable as to its flightpath.

If you feed in a bit of excessive rudder, your true course is not predictable, particularly if you are changing the amount of rudder the whole time. In the UK, we have many documentaries about the Battle of Britain. A regular commentator is a survivor, Bob Doe. He often says that he survived because the whole time he was feeding in different rudder inputs, so his course was not predictable. Of course, when attacking, he would clean up, keep ball central, so he could accurately point his aircraft in the right direction.

As a general point. looking at the videos, you need to get closer before opening fire. I know it is not easy!

If you have Tacview - fly with accurate inputs (ie ball central) then fly with changing rudder inputs and I think you will see what I mean.

Edited by JimMack
More info

Having problems? Visit http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Main_Page

Dell Laptop M1730 -Vista- Intel Core 2 Duo T7500@2.2GHz, 4GB, Nvidia 8700MGT 767MB

Intel i7 975 Extreme 3.2GHZ CPU, NVidia GTX 570 1.28Gb Pcie Graphics.

Youtube-video of my first kill

I´m so deeply proud ;-) ...really!!!

But i have to admit, that i havent been able to shoot him down for the second time... ;-(((

Have fun:

Edited by -Mop-

I´m so deeply proud ;-) ...really!!!

But i have to admit, that i havent been able to shoot him down for the second time... ;-(((

Yep nice one indeed.

Try hard to get on his six though. Jousting as I call it (or head on attacks) are dangerous, he's a better shot than us and it's only a matter of time before you clip each other.

when you're about to pass each other, turn hard into him as early as pos (before you pass can work), put him on the lift line, aim the lift line slightly behind his AC and don't let him off! All of that has to be balanced with keeping your speed up obviously.

Don't think I'm going to get into trouble for recommending SIMHQ's site - they have an excellent reference page including amongst other jems, some ACM stuff.

Keep practising and read some ACM ref stuff.

I haven't been posting these lately because they're all pretty similar...

But I wanted to show Leafer how crepe my shooting really is... down to my inner guns 3/4 of the way through!!:music_whistling: I know the sights not setup, this scrap was couple of weeks ago. I do set that up now.

I've been trying to get some more separation on the second pass so I've been pushing out slightly, just before pulling him onto the line - seems to help reduce the vertical scissor Gmare:) Still need to work this out more as you can see - gonna try horizontal separation only as Leafer suggested and see if that helps more.

Interesting stall and recovery in the middle of, I haven't looked at that from outside yet?

Leafer dude, am still working on a couple of other vids but I'm trying to edit stuff together so it's slow, (and there's footie tonight, I'm in the UK) so it might take a wee while more.

Anyone know how the AI will be affected when engine performance limitations are implemented?

Nah, you're not a bad shot and I see at the end you took the time to aim before firing. NICE! And I know that feeling when you don't want to lose a kill you've worked so hard at because you're down to two guns. :D And hey, you do it in half the time it takes me. :thumbup:

I guess we can't just gun the throttle and leave it there once full engine management is implemented.

Cheers for your kind words Leafer Dude, but my shooting generally is poor - needs work - but it's funny the fewer rounds remaining the more careful and controlled I got:D

I guess we can't just gun the throttle and leave it there once full engine management is implemented.

Yeah the enemy wont need to shoot us down if we blow ourselves up after 10 mins:doh: - some scraps I've had have gone beyond 20mins with pretty much everything pushed fully forward at the end!

Hope and trust the AI's performance will be suitably levelled!

I dont get it... f****** game... dogfight help needed

by video, by text... i take everything just to approve my skill....

it cant be that the ai always has more velocity, always rises and i cant follow, then i can do what i want i dont get on his 6 ....

in every fight i lose speed, i lose height and in the end my plane.... what am i doing wrong?

and btw: everyone is playing on servers... i cant find a server, where can i practise... when i update my serverlist... there are about 5 servers... 3 with no one on it... one for freeflights and the other one for a-10s...

please help me... or i have to get back to bs2 ;-))):pilotfly:

it cant be that the ai always has more velocity, always rises and i cant follow, then i can do what i want i dont get on his 6 ....

in every fight i lose speed, i lose height and in the end my plane.... what am i doing wrong?

and btw: everyone is playing on servers... i cant find a server, where can i practise... when i update my serverlist... there are about 5 servers... 3 with no one on it... one for freeflights and the other one for a-10s...

We are usually on and no password its mostly used for training like take offs and landings...but soon to add " Dogfights " and other missions I am working on..

Edited by Double_D

[/Table]

Recruiting for Aerobatic Team/Fighter Group...

Hi Mop - Do you know about the weight error correction that's needed? The AI is missing the weight of his ammo - that'll make a difference if you didn't know already. (Details earlier in this thread somewhere).

Otherwise all I can say is I know the feeling - I wanted to throw my stick through my monitor on several occasions - seriously. I must have run my practise mission about a hundred plus times before I briefly found myself on his 6 - did I say briefly already. I saved the track whenever I made some progress and tried to work out what I did that worked and visa versa.

My stats said i'd been killed 82 times and beat him 15 times at one point - by 'beat him' it meant he'd had a flying accident (sometimes involving me:music_whistling: ).

Then I started to work things out a bit, and put some holes in him (occasionally), but it took lots & lots & lots of practise.

You've got him once already!

Thank you for your friendly words

... you both put me back on my feet...

In deed i read about thing about the weight-Problem... this doesn´t work with the instant action dogfight, but in a generated misson in the editor... is that true?

what exactly do have to do?

Does anybody know of a short explanation of "Arial dogfighting" with tactics an manoeuvers... best, with many pictures ;-)

Also i have questions aboput the Stall-thing... i think that i realised, that in different missions the planes behaves in different ways... in the instant action dogfight-mission my plane lies relatively stable in the air... in a generated mission it stalls when i only grab the stick... is this just imagination, or did anyone realize the same (of course there should be no difference in payload)

Mop - I don't know anything about instant action, but if you generate your own mission in ME you can make sure it's a balanced fight - I use the parameters to practise - 10k ft, 300mph, head to head about 5miles away from each other... (Apparently 'AI skill' really means detection range - i have it on 'high' I think, but it in theory makes little difference once engaged).

Go to Mission editor (ME) and select / highlight the enemy aircraft, then select the weapons loadout (pic of a bomb in front elevation), change his fuel load AND YOURS so the dif is 628lbs, i.e. he's got a gross weight (GW) of 10066lbs and you've got a GW of 9438lb.

Does anybody know of a short explanation of "Arial dogfighting" with tactics an manoeuvers... best, with many pictures ;-)

For the above you need to practise, watch others and research stuff:)

Also i have questions aboput the Stall-thing... i think that i realised, that in different missions the planes behaves in different ways... in the instant action dogfight-mission my plane lies relatively stable in the air... in a generated mission it stalls when i only grab the stick... is this just imagination, or did anyone realize the same (of course there should be no difference in payload)

For this above I suspect the altitudes are different between the two missions - the air is thin up high - you must keep the angle of attack lower or you will tumble. Oh, and don't 'grab' the stick anyway:)

Wags's mission is up at 20k - it's much harder to control at medium and high alt - I practised at 10K and then 'moved upstairs'.

Hope this helps V

Here is one from Hornet Korea:

dajjO8RELMs

And this guy has created excellent set of tutorial, if not the best, covering a wide range of combat maneuvering with well though out narration.

zZzBJOvABWk

Getting the hang of keeping up with the AI but still no gun kills :(

Here is a typical example of a successful kill - maybe I am making the AI so bored it is deciding to take a voluntary dirt nap!

Also the same in-cockpit view:

In my defense I was away from home until this last week so I had to make do with G940 rather than Warthog + saitek combat pro + trackir I have here. In particular the rudder is a bit annoying on G940, it has a strong centre notch so it makes precise rudder control difficult. At least that's my excuse :D

Any comments welcome. It would be nice to make him blow up and roast in the flames like a chicken for once! It doesn't help I can usually get rounds on target now, but even after several bursts he seems unharmed, whereas his first bullet seems to tear my wing off about 50% of the time.

Also in case it interests anyone after this kill I flew home and did a proper circuit to land:

Edited by BudgieSmuggler

In my defense I was away from home until this last week so I had to make do with G940 rather than Warthog + saitek combat pro + trackir I have here.

I would love to have that problem. :D As for your skills, I'm definitely not an expert, but I think you could be a tad more aggressive.

I would love to have that problem. :D

I can recommend it :)

Though you get some odd looks sitting in a hotel room with a full hotas + pedals playing flight sims!

As for your skills, I'm definitely not an expert, but I think you could be a tad more aggressive.

I try! Pull much harder and I stall out and end up a swiss cheese omelette. If I'm lucky I get a free skydiving lesson..

Maybe I just need some softer meat. At least it's good practice to fly at the edge of stall, and reminder to fly coordinated.

25VFS have made an close air to air combat guide for the A10 .. i dont know if all is relevant for the P51 but this can give some basic.

25VFS_OI_A-10_A-10C_Air_To_Air_Combat.pdf

- I7 2600K @5.2ghz ( EK full Nickel waterblock )

- Gigabyte P67A-UD7 B3

- 8GB Predator 2133mhz

- 2x HD7970 - EK Nickel EN H2o block

- 2x Crucial realSSD C300 Raid0

- Black Widow Ultimate - X52 -TrackIR 5

- XIfi Titanium HD

- Win 7 x64Pro

If all else fails, I always head for the treetops. I have killed many A.I. (it) by it underestimating arc of recovery in a dive towards the ground. It is like playing chicken to fake it out.

I like to get him on my tail and lead him into a tower or hill. You gotta' keep moving in unpredictable turns and dives and try to stay ahead of the A.I.'s algorithms, not giving it time to do the math.

And then, I like to create it to do an overshoot past me. The 1st notch of flaps will drop at 400mph. Add a crab, but don't get yourself too slow and not be able to recover.

The A.I. cheat in my observation, off-line in Single player.

Except when the P-51 1st came out, I do not find online dogfighting opportunities in DCS World. I hope this changes. A lot of guys play FC2 still.

Thats brilliant... thx...

the only thiing i couldnt figure out is why the opposing p-51 always has speed reserves to climb me out...

i´ll try on and on... ;.)

what is working well is the scissor, I was surprised to see the AI really follow the movement. ( The AI in Dogfight really surprise me a lot.. )

Edited by Lane

- I7 2600K @5.2ghz ( EK full Nickel waterblock )

- Gigabyte P67A-UD7 B3

- 8GB Predator 2133mhz

- 2x HD7970 - EK Nickel EN H2o block

- 2x Crucial realSSD C300 Raid0

- Black Widow Ultimate - X52 -TrackIR 5

- XIfi Titanium HD

- Win 7 x64Pro

25VFS have made an close air to air combat guide for the A10 .. i dont know if all is relevant for the P51 but this can give some basic.

No better guide to air to air combat than Robert Shaw's book. I just bought it, and it's really a must read to real and sim pilots alike, specially on DCS level.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.