Modular Panel WIP

Blue73

Under the hood shots of the lighting panel. The caddy I made for the Arduino slides in and out through a port hole in the lower face plate so the wiring is kept low profile.

k26InLW.jpg

ltfKn3x.jpg

This circuit now has a tantalum cap, not shown here. I run 5V everywhere rather than supply.

QI8MKj7.jpg

cheers

John

Thanks Ross, the inner workings have evolved to this state, my first one was a birds nest which made troubleshooting difficult and prone to wiring issues. I've tried different connector types until I found a system that was reliable and easy to build. I've settled onto this wiring design, the last four boxes have worked first time with no faults.

I'm printing the right hand boxes now while I design the forward angle sections.

cheers

John

Nice to see the inner workings. Man your work is neat.

I seriously have to start looking into running the Arduinos in master slave to try and get something like this stared.

Thanks Nicka117, I'll see how well I can stream line the operation to make that viable but I'm guessing showing others how to make their own would be better. All you need is a 3D printer and some basic electronics skills. The largest component is time.

cheers

John

This thing is turning into a masterpiece. Would be cool if you sold them some day.

Edited by Blue73

Thanks Nicka117, I'll see how well I can stream line the operation to make that viable but I'm guessing showing others how to make their own would better. All you need is a 3D printer and some basic electronics skills. The largest component is time.

cheers

John

Did I miss you sharing the .STL's or CAD files or is that something that is upcoming? I'd love to be able to modify this system for my own pit, and I wouldn't want to reinvent the wheel unnecessarily.

Hi Aniron, This is still WIP, once I'm happy everything works at a larger scale I'll release the STL files.

cheers

John

Did I miss you sharing the .STL's or CAD files or is that something that is upcoming? I'd love to be able to modify this system for my own pit, and I wouldn't want to reinvent the wheel unnecessarily.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I've designed and printed the forward throttle upright section. It is made to accommodate 6 units of the standard panels, so it can cater to any combination. For the Hornet I'll be running it in the following config. The top left will house the gear lever. For the top right I'll be installing 2x 40mm fans with louvers controlled by the temperature dial on the right hand console. I'm also thinking if I can get a signal that indicates I've ejected I'll run both air units at full power to simulate an ejection. Should work well in VR. :)

The top section is printed as one unit, so there were some minor warping with the overhang. The bottom is made from separate pieces that all links together with dove tail joints, no glue used just the 4 top bolts to connect the upper and lower sections together. If you want just a 3 unit upright then you can skip the top unit.

I haven't removed all the support material yet, I'll also be printing cover plates to hide the frame.

ojbDIHI.jpg

Here's my parking brake unit. I've used magnets with hall effect sensors to sense the rotating and the pulling actions of the handle. I've also used the magnets to give that positive mechanical lock feel on the rotation and extension of the shaft. The white plugs show where the magnets are installed.

hmJep7T.jpg

The brake hydraulic pressure gauge has also been created. A micro servo-motor with some gearing drives the needle. I need to print the face plate nut that is attached to the parking brake.

9bBVMkB.jpg

When I get the distance right I'll build the unit that bridges the upright to the throttle.

MlE79Wr.jpg

cheers

John

Edited by Blue73

Hi Ross, I think it was around 3 days. While I'm designing the printer is printing so the long print times don't really hold me up. My printer has a total print timer, it's done over 1500 hours now, still no issues with it. :)

Just jumped out of DCS trying out the F/A-18 sound overhaul mod, it's pretty good. I had a closer look at the parking brake handle, mine is not quite accurate, I'll need to fix it.

cheers

John

cheers Gos, yes I will definitely be uploading the stl files.

I just got my 1st 3D printer and a CNC router. I'm looking forward to printing/cutting some panels for the A-10C. Your stuff is certainly an inspiration and I hope you share some of your files for us to use when you get the chance.

-=gos=-

Hi Ross, I think it was around 3 days. While I'm designing the printer is printing so the long print times don't really hold me up. My printer has a total print timer, it's done over 1500 hours now, still no issues with it. :)

Just jumped out of DCS trying out the F/A-18 sound overhaul mod, it's pretty good. I had a closer look at the parking brake handle, mine is not quite accurate, I'll need to fix it.

cheers

John

3 days is a big print. 1500 with no issues, what printer is it?

Did you get your CNC yet, that is also going to be so awesome.

Whats wrong with the brake handle?

it was roughly 3 days to print all parts, longest was 24 hours. I have the Zortrax M200. I've received and assembled the CNC router. The laser they supplied has a 3pin plug when the control board only has a 2 pin. I'll get back to laser engraving after I've made more progress with the panels, don't want to kill the momentum.

My handle is shaped wrong, the emergency side is sloped. Easy to fix though.

Edited by Blue73

Gear Lever

Hi,

Here some pics of the gear lever. Strong magnets were used with hall effect sensors and to give a firm mechanical thud at the lever stops.

The CAD model.

qkuvtFj.png

Printed parts with magnets installed. The knob is printed in clear, that is it goes in clear but after extrusion it turns a milky colour. This effect works well to diffuse the LED.

o5C1k8A.jpg

Completed build, the electronics convert the HE sensor analog signal to digital. I only had analog HE sensors in my stash, so I had to build this little circuit. The knob has been painted in clear red with a red led within.

QerzDG3.jpghttp:

WXyfGwV.jpg

This was hard to photograph as the red is very strong and the camera has difficulty exposing for it. To the naked eye it's a bright rich red.

xhaE7Wa.jpg

9uHRqmz.jpg

cheers

John

Edited by Blue73

Hi All , The landing gear panel is now complete.

NgGWehm.jpg

WZG2JUd.jpg

XnlHp3q.jpg

I've temporarily installed this module on the left hand console while I'm building up the vertical unit.

4bMJHap.jpg

Fb2hMrl.jpg

cheers

John

Edited by Blue73