Leatherneck new facebook image/picture

NORTHMAN

Morbid curiosity - I am not challenging, because I have no indepth knowledge to even pretend to challenge with... How did this happen with the A-10C and the Ka-50.. both are still operating; F-14D is done and gone yet still classified? How can that be? Are ground pounding aircraft less classified than fighters or something?

Well, I presume that the F-14, even when being out of service, shares quite a few systems with other fighters still in the active fleet.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what that sunrise flag is meaning. but if they want to develop A6M that...

I means A6M will fight with pony, dora, lighting or K4 in DCS, these warbird have more powerful engine and gun, also have the armored seat, that's the most important equipment for the warbird, but A6M does't have it. LOL

Do you remember The Great Marianas Turkey Shoot?

Maybe it's just a background, in order to tell us next one is the bird which beat the jap in the past. In that way, it must be F4U or F6F.

And least that red sun let me think the revival of militarism and fascist.

Well, I presume that the F-14, even when being out of service, shares quite a few systems with other fighters still in the active fleet.

Right, but that alone is flawed reasoning. The A-10C has a lot in common with itself and it's still in service. I also thought a lot was known about certain blocks of F-16's as well. If the Navy is more protective than the airforce or fighter tech is more protected than ground smashing tech it'd be rational. It seems like something else is relevant besides just systems being still in use. But I was in the miltary and I know rational thinking is a rare breed, so maybe it's just what it is.

Right, but that alone is flawed reasoning. The A-10C has a lot in common with itself and it's still in service. I also thought a lot was known about certain blocks of F-16's as well. If the Navy is more protective than the airforce or fighter tech is more protected than ground smashing tech. It seems like something else is relevant besides just systems being still in use.

You cant generalize like that. These things work on a case by case basis. Just because ED created the DCS: A10C (which by the way is missing some classified systems) this fact in and of itself is not relevant to any other module currently in production (or on the drawing board).

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

hopping for a D model is not realistic , its too complex

Why? Who are you to say what is too hard or too easy for another company to design?

What makes it any more harder than the glass cockpit system of the F/A-18C Hornet being built? Or the F/A-18E Super Hornet? Or even the A-10C Warthog with it's glass cockpit and systems?

I am pretty sure modeling the old MiG-21 Radar system is no "easier" than doing it for an F-14.

You cant generalize like that. These things work on a case by case basis. Just because ED created the DCS: A10C (which by the way is missing some classified systems) this fact in and of itself is not relevant to any other module currently in production (or on the drawing board).

Here we go. Patently _not_ generalizing, I asked what is so special about any of the systems in an F-14D that's out of service compared to say an A-10C that is in service. If you don't know just say, "I don't know". If it's the radar say, "radar". Otherwise YOU are the one generalizing by saying it uses some systems in service and can't be reasonably simulated.

I wonder what is behind that Japanese flag...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

I'd Say that Behind the kamikaze flag is a Mitsubishi Zero... And on the other side, of course, the F4U....

And I really hope that those two come out... I need something that fits my taste, as I see no point on buying the Tomcat (if it gets released)...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Your eyes only see what your mind is ready to comprehend"

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Intel I7-6700K - 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz HyperX Savage - Strix GTX 960 DC II 2GB OC Edition - Seagate 1TB

I'd Say that Behind the kamikaze flag is a Mitsubishi Zero... And on the other side, of course, the F4U....

And I really hope that those two come out... I need something that fits my taste, as I see no point on buying the Tomcat (if it gets released)...

I wholeheartedly agree with the Corsair and Zero... That would make my day for sure!

But I part ways with you my friend when you say you have no interest in the Tomcat... :thumbup:

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

I think he would prefer the B over the A. One other thing to consider, the D would have avionics which would have a great deal in common with the latest naval fighters still in use and as such would be classified. No one is going to waste time making planes with too many incomplete systems, so the F14 will most probably be the A or B variant.

On the mark. Of course I would prefer the D as a penultimate Tomcat, but disclosure or not, it definitely sounds too complex to start with, so it obviously won't be the chosen variant. So, between A and B, I'd choose B. Preferably with the Bombcat update :)

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

So, between A and B, I'd choose B. Preferably with the Bombcat update :)

+1. The bombcat avionics are key for making it multi-role, and also giving it some nice work with the F/A-18C. The flip side is that as awesome as the Tomcat is, it doesn't have AMRAAM capability (it's ARH missile is the Phoenix), so unless it has strike capability it's strength is in intercepting bombers.

When I was active, we would have Tomcats (B model) buddy lase for Hornets. It worked well because the Tomcat pilot could work on piloting and scanning for threats, the RIO could keep the laser on target, and the single seat hornets could drop GBUs and get out of the threat envelope without much fuss. Duplicating this in DCS would be awesome.

EDIT: one more thing. I know a Tomcat RIO who flew the A, B and D models. He actually preferred the B over the D because the D avionics added weight which made the performance suffer a bit. Not quite like the Su-25T, but the concept is not unfamiliar.

Edited by Home Fries

+1. The bombcat avionics are key for making it multi-role, and also giving it some nice work with the F/A-18C. The flip side is that as awesome as the Tomcat is, it doesn't have AMRAAM capability (it's ARH missile is the Phoenix), so unless it has strike capability it's strength is in intercepting bombers.

When I was active, we would have Tomcats (B model) buddy lase for Hornets. It worked well because the Tomcat pilot could work on piloting and scanning for threats, the RIO could keep the laser on target, and the single seat hornets could drop GBUs and get out of the threat envelope without much fuss. Duplicating this in DCS would be awesome.

EDIT: one more thing. I know a Tomcat RIO who flew the A, B and D models. He actually preferred the B over the D because the D avionics added weight which made the performance suffer a bit. Not quite like the Su-25T, but the concept is not unfamiliar.

+1

:thumbup:

This would offer something truly unique....

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

i would more than welcome a delta version

i don't know why so many people are so down - almost to the point of protest - on the prospect of a good modern fighter

if the devs have the documentation to do it, and they think they can.. more power to'em!

but let THEM decide that - we end-users shouldn't proactively be indicating we want "less" of an end-product

push the limits! exceed and excel!

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

And I would presume the F-18C that we are getting would share some commonality with fighters still in the active fleet too... mainly cause it is in active service with several countries including the U.S. and some commonality with the active E/F/G Hornets.

My Specs

Asus Maximus Hero IX Z270

i7 7700k @ 4.7GHz

32GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3700MHz DDR4

EVGA RTX 2080Ti

Samsung 960 Evo 1TB M.2 NVME SSD

EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2

Acer XB270HU 144Hz @ 1440p (IPS)

Valve Index

OOOOhhh, I wish I had the Alpha of a Hornet!

Am I the only one who thinks an F-14a would be equally good as a B or D.

You would have to fly the aeroplane and the throttles with finesse, and watch your yaw rate. Simulated compressor stalls and flat spins could be incorporated and it would add a further complexity to carrier landings. I'd love a B or a D for it's own reasons but I would still be jumping for joy for an F-14a.

You are not alone, I would prefer the A as well. Mostly for historical reasons, because the F-14A was the backbone of the USN fleet defence. I don't care about the latest and greatest stuff, I'd rather fly aircraft which were historically the most significant. And of course the F-14A is the type for these fantastic old high-viz colors :)

I have a feeling that we are going to be the lucky ones...

Am I the only one who thinks an F-14a would be equally good as a B or D.

You would have to fly the aeroplane and the throttles with finesse, and watch your yaw rate. Simulated compressor stalls and flat spins could be incorporated and it would add a further complexity to carrier landings. I'd love a B or a D for it's own reasons but I would still be jumping for joy for an F-14a.

In my opinion, multi-role capability outweighs any compressor stalls and flat spins. If I want a plane with those kinds of problems, I can go fly the Su-27. :lol:

The F-14a had the ability to carry LTS and drop LGB's as well as carry TARPS.

I would call that multi-role.

Edited by westr

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

The F-14a had the ability to carry LTS and drop LGB's as well as carry TARPS.

I would call that multi-role.

That was only with the Bombcat update in the early 90s. So it's not an 'F-14A' per se.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

That was only with the Bombcat update in the early 90s. So it's not an 'F-14A' per se.

Yeah the basis of my point was if LN develop an F-14a it does not eliminate the possibility of conducting ground

attack. :)

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

Bombcat is F-14B, no? I think part of the confusion is the F-14B was originally designated F-14A+, and renamed F-14B later. So my take is F-14A < F-14A+ and F-14A+ == F-14B. Or maybe I'm confused. I've just been reading up on the variants recently since everyone is guessing at which we might get so I could easily be confused. It also sounds like many units never saw the F-14D because of politics. And differences in F-14B and D do not seem as extreme as A to B (and particulalry bombcat which sounds like it may have been an upgrade to the B even after the B designation..., but maybe not, not finding very clear info...)

Edited by xaoslaad