Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

Been using the S since the release date. So far so good. I don’t mind the sound, it’s been fine. I’ve started using the voice command software and it has been working better than the vive. The exterior sound doesn’t hinder the built in mic. Dogfighting has been a lot more fun now that I can use voice commands with confidence.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Received my S today and am I glad I sent back my O+ last month.

Once I had it set up and running I was immersed.

I wear glasses and have some other eye issues but I could certainly read the text and the instruments.

I will take some time tomorrow to fine-tune resolutions to the best that I can and await the DCS update.

I had only two 10 millisecond white/snow flashes during 2 hrs.

It is my first time in this medium and it will take me a bit to max out my settings OC Graphics card (1080) and OC MB.

I only had a little stuttering in Caucuses at 1.2 but runs smooth at 1.0. I have to figure out which smoothing settings work best. The ones with Oculus, Graphics card and or within DCS. I don't want to duplicate efficiencies.

This is my first and a keeper for me.

Cool brother! great to hear! :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Also from the patch notes ... worth a try

If you're using Oculus Rift S and experiencing black screen and/or cable enumeration issues, please try opting into the latest PTC (https://support.oculus.com/200468603765391/) build of the Oculus software. We've included updates that should help.

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

From what I can see from both here and the Rift forums, the main issues are (...)

While these are all valid issues reported by various people, it's not like every user out there is experiencing all of it. My unit shows this white static flicker once in a while, but not any of the other issues you listed. Batteries still show full charge after a week, with PC turned on for most of the day. No crashes, problems with powering on, tracking works without issues, etc.

BTW, Oculus clarified that the update pushed yesterday was not meant to fix the white static:

Anyway, if you're on the fence, and have a beefy system, I'd wait a couple of weeks for Reverb reviews. It's not going to be much longer.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Cheers for the answers guys, it’s good to hear that you guys arnt sttruggling with most of the issues reported and just one or two of them.

I really not sure what to do, I am rather excited about the increase in clarity which sounds like I will finally be able to use and read mfds in sim, and I do like the idea of the inside out tracking which means I won’t be restricted to stand up VR in a blooming small space behind my chair, but can walk out in the hall and do it.

The price is right compared to others and I won’t lose any of the games I’ve already purchased in the oculus store. All big plus’s. But I don’t get long to game each week, and I really don’t want a device that I. Troubleshooting all the time, just to get working, my CV1 just works anytime I want with no issues.

I’m sure Oculus will solve the issues as they obviously want a product that can compete with the other new headsets coming out. I wouldn’t be surprised if they release a upgraded strap with earphones in the future to sort out the audio complaints, with a upgrade price of course.

Aggghhhh, decisions decisions.

Be interesting to see if plugging the headset into the usb C slot solves the headset blackout issue for you all, and Oculus as we know are in the process of fixing the white static. That would solve the two main display issues.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Well, if you want something that you plug in and it just works, better read that WMR thread before you decide to go for Reverb. ;)

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Cheers for the answers guys, it’s good to hear that you guys arnt sttruggling with most of the issues reported and just one or two of them.

I really not sure what to do, I am rather excited about the increase in clarity which sounds like I will finally be able to use and read mfds in sim, and I do like the idea of the inside out tracking which means I won’t be restricted to stand up VR in a blooming small space behind my chair, but can walk out in the hall and do it.

The price is right compared to others and I won’t lose any of the games I’ve already purchased in the oculus store. All big plus’s. But I don’t get long to game each week, and I really don’t want a device that I. Troubleshooting all the time, just to get working, my CV1 just works anytime I want with no issues.

I’m sure Oculus will solve the issues as they obviously want a product that can compete with the other new headsets coming out. I wouldn’t be surprised if they release a upgraded strap with earphones in the future to sort out the audio complaints, with a upgrade price of course.

Aggghhhh, decisions decisions.

Be interesting to see if plugging the headset into the usb C slot solves the headset blackout issue for you all, and Oculus as we know are in the process of fixing the white static. That would solve the two main display issues.

I plugged my headset USB into the virtual link port on my 2080 Ti, and it did not solve the black screen for me. Still working with support to get this ironed out.

Keep in mind though there are many that have working Rift S's with no issues. Mine works just have to deal with black screen as it happens, but I can work around it. Still communicating with them on my support ticket so will see. I also am still well within my 30 day return window with Amazon, may end up just returning there for replacement.

I absolutely love the Rift S so will be sticking with it for a while.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Hey guys. Pretty happy with the Rift S, though I am experiencing the following problem most of the time:

When I look over my shoulder to the left it is more or less OK. But when I look to the right, the view always gets borked. I've tried everything and two things helped for a very short time:

A) defining the guardian (my space is small and I play seated, so I don't even have full 3x3 ft)

B) switching to different USB port. But then the problems always returned.

Anyone else experiencing this?

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

That looks like either there is a strong light/IR source in your vicinity which confuses the tracking, or a faulty unit/cable.

Turn on the passthrough and look around for anything that could blind the cameras.

Oh, and disable the Trackir software if it's running in the background.

Hey guys. Pretty happy with the Rift S, though I am experiencing the following problem most of the time:

When I look over my shoulder to the left it is more or less OK. But when I look to the right, the view always gets borked. I've tried everything and two things helped for a very short time:

A) defining the guardian (my space is small and I play seated, so I don't even have full 3x3 ft)

B) switching to different USB port. But then the problems always returned.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I do not own a rift S. I experience same issue with my O+ and my space is limited too. But in my case, my right shoulder is close to the wall and this causes it to screw up in that direction and I loose boundaries. Looking Left shoulder is okay as there is no obstruction.

Might want to check if any close obstruction.

Edited by Eaglewings

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Does anyone else have an issue with popping/crackling through the built in speakers?

Although it seems to have been "fixed" with the latest firmware update in that I now get no audio at all through the inbuilt speakers!

Apart from that, I am loving it. Did some circuits in the hornet today and the depth perception makes such a difference. Tried some Case 1 recoveries on the carrier and only stuffed up due to my own ineptitude. Spotting the carrier is so much easier that I even turned off labels ;)

One thing I did notice was that the field of view and clarity both increased considerably after I moved the headset "lower" ie hard down against my nose.

Did some quick Huey flights around Normandy and once again depth perception makes hovering etc so much easier.

I am running High settings for everything except shadows (flat), 16xAA and 2xMSAA and a PD of 1.5 and I am getting a great experience with no lag or stutters at all. Very impressed.

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

One thing I did notice was that the field of view and clarity both increased considerably after I moved the headset "lower" ie hard down against my nose.

Interesting observation; it's the same for me.

Overall very happy after the upgrade from CV1

Some thoughts that might help:

- I had blackouts on my CV1, turned out to be due to a lack of USB power. I added an external powered USB hub which solved it. The Rift S is now plugged in to the USB hub and I’ve had no issues.

- I had the white static flash, but haven’t seen it in the last 2 days, which is when I believe I updated my vid card drivers

- I thought the Rift S inbuilt audio was crap. Bought a pair of Koss KSC75 over ear headphones. They slow down being able to put the S on and off, but do sound hugely better (ie OK) and were just £18

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

OMG just did a 1v3 guns only dogfight. THIS THING IS AMAZING!

No labels and I was able to spot and kill all 3 enemies, then landed at a random airbase. Best fun I have had in DCS since I bought the A10C all those years ago.

My only complaint in the hornet is that I have to lean in to really be able to read the MFDs, at normal sitting position they are a tiny bit blurry. Unfortunately the VR zoom effectively smashes your face right up against them, it would be nice if you could set that to half the zoom amount.

I'm getting the hang of the look at a button/switch then click the mouse to push/flip, but I am wondering if there is a way to bind the left/right mouse click actions to hotas buttons, that would be a game changer.

edit: also haven't had the white flash since upgrading Nvidia drivers and headset firmware today.

Still getting the black display if I leave it idle for a while, and requires a random number of oculus software restarts to get an image back.

I'm getting the hang of the look at a button/switch then click the mouse to push/flip, but I am wondering if there is a way to bind the left/right mouse click actions to hotas buttons, that would be a game changer.

There is. It's in the UI Layer section of the controls.

i7 6700k @ 4.6, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1070, Rift S | MS Sidewinder FFB2 w/ TM F-22 Pro Grip, TM TWCS Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV

@AndrewW, I have not got around to it yet but I mean to set up some snap views for left / right screens and other things that are hard to look at in VR.

I prefer to have a closer view that snapview can do rather than the VR zoom that you have to wait for it to come in and then out but also the awful feeling and distortion when it is zoomed in.

@AndrewW, I have not got around to it yet but I mean to set up some snap views for left / right screens and other things that are hard to look at in VR.

I prefer to have a closer view that snapview can do rather than the VR zoom that you have to wait for it to come in and then out but also the awful feeling and distortion when it is zoomed in.

It is my understanding that snap views do not function in VR.

It is my understanding that snap views do not function in VR.

That is incorrect. They still work as I use them all the time in VR.

Edited by Madmatt_BFC

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

Some thoughts that might help:

- I had blackouts on my CV1, turned out to be due to a lack of USB power. I added an external powered USB hub which solved it. The Rift S is now plugged in to the USB hub and I’ve had no issues.

- I had the white static flash, but haven’t seen it in the last 2 days, which is when I believe I updated my vid card drivers

- I thought the Rift S inbuilt audio was crap. Bought a pair of Koss KSC75 over ear headphones. They slow down being able to put the S on and off, but do sound hugely better (ie OK) and were just £18

you're using 430.86? (just to confirm)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

My Rift S came yesterday and I am fairly disappointed. It seems the FOV is slightly smaller compared to the CV1 and most importantly the chromatic aberration and distortions towards the edges is absolutely horrible. There is only a very small sweet spot in the dead center of the lense which is sharp enough, but a virtual inch (about 2 cm) to the left, right, up or down of that spot the image gets distorted. So I basically cannot read text without staring just at this sweet spot and turning my head all the time. Neither can I read all the HUD symbology in the A-!0C without moving the head nor can I read the left engine RPM gauge when directly pointing my head at the right engine RPM gauge. At the edge of the FOV there is just a blurry mess. Mostly blue. Someone else having also a Rift S does not seem to have this issue.

A pretty common issue, which I experienced with the Rift S as well, is the occasional white noise frame. This is quite annoying as well and I never had this with the CV1.

I'm not sure if my Rift S is faulty or if this is normal. I will give it back and try another one. If that one has the same problem, I stick with the CV1.

Edit: More issues I had: The foam isolation seems to be thinner than with the CV1. There is a rubber at the edge towards the nose gap. This shields better against light from outside, but it prevents peeking through to use keyboard when wearing the Rift S. Also this rubber seems to get heated up by the Rift displays quite quickly. The rubber pinches against my nose (might be that my nose is too big for the Rift S) - it is annoying and more so when the rubber is heated up. Also the lack of a good headset forces me to put on an additional headset and I am unable store away the cable of this headset so that it does not annoy me. Putting the headset on and of with additional headset is tedious as well.

Yes, the display (in the sweet spot) is sharper compared to the CV1 and I can read better there. However, I had to change MSAA from 2x to NONE and reduce PD from 1.5 to 1.2 in order to run the 40 Hz with the Rift S compared to the 45 Hz with the CV1. I have an i7 at 4GHz and a GTX 1080TI.

Edited by dcs76

My Rift S came yesterday and I am fairly disappointed. It seems the FOV is slightly smaller compared to the CV1 and most importantly the chromatic aberration and distortions towards the edges is absolutely horrible. There is only a very small sweet spot in the dead center of the lense which is sharp enough, but a virtual inch (about 2 cm) to the left, right, up or down of that spot the image gets distorted. So I basically cannot read text without staring just at this sweet spot and turning my head all the time. Neither can I read all the HUD symbology in the A-!0C without moving the head nor can I read the left engine RPM gauge when directly pointing my head at the right engine RPM gauge. At the edge of the FOV there is just a blurry mess. Mostly blue. Someone else having also a Rift S does not seem to have this issue.

A pretty common issue, which I experienced with the Rift S as well, is the occasional white noise frame. This is quite annoying as well and I never had this with the CV1.

I'm not sure if my Rift S is faulty or if this is normal. I will give it back and try another one. If that one has the same problem, I stick with the CV1.

Edit: More issues I had: The foam isolation seems to be thinner than with the CV1. There is a rubber at the edge towards the nose gap. This shields better against light from outside, but it prevents peeking through to use keyboard when wearing the Rift S. Also this rubber seems to get heated up by the Rift displays quite quickly. The rubber pinches against my nose (might be that my nose is too big for the Rift S) - it is annoying and more so when the rubber is heated up. Also the lack of a good headset forces me to put on an additional headset and I am unable store away the cable of this headset so that it does not annoy me. Putting the headset on and of with additional headset is tedious as well.

Yes, the display (in the sweet spot) is sharper compared to the CV1 and I can read better there. However, I had to change MSAA from 2x to NONE and reduce PD from 1.5 to 1.2 in order to run the 40 Hz with the Rift S compared to the 45 Hz with the CV1. I have an i7 at 4GHz and a GTX 1080TI.

You don't mention your ipd the one common theme in the posts above is that the sweet spot is ipd dependant the closer you are to 63.5 mm the better it is.

What's your ipd

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

And the nosepiece is easily removable .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

While these are all valid issues reported by various people, it's not like every user out there is experiencing all of it. My unit shows this white static flicker once in a while, but not any of the other issues you listed. Batteries still show full charge after a week, with PC turned on for most of the day. No crashes, problems with powering on, tracking works without issues, etc.

BTW, Oculus clarified that the update pushed yesterday was not meant to fix the white static:

Anyway, if you're on the fence, and have a beefy system, I'd wait a couple of weeks for Reverb reviews. It's not going to be much longer.

I have none of these issues.

I'll report back when Reverb is available for purchase and compare it with S.

You don't mention your ipd the one common theme in the posts above is that the sweet spot is ipd dependant the closer you are to 63.5 mm the better it is.

What's your ipd

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

I sincerely doubt that the IPD has anything to do with this chromatic aberration. I have those distortions on each lense/eye separately. I tested this with closing each eye and trying to find the optimal position and angle for each eye and it was still horrible.