Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

Guys, just picked up mine yesterday and as Wags says - it is AWESOME. Honestly I didn't expect such a difference in DCS. The only downside is lack of included earphones (so the sound plays directly over your ears, which may be a bummer for those with small kids etc). but you can easily plug in any earphones directly to you PC and that solves the problem. I strongly recommend it!

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are KILLING me ...

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

Nice review. Just one thing, not sure if you know or not

There isn’t the big gap around your nose that I used to peek down through on the OG Rift to view the keyboard when playing sims. I’ve had to lift the headset a few times to find a key.

There is an option to get an external view (ie see through the display to the real world) using the cameras in the headset. I believe you currently have to use a button on the controller to enable it, I can't wait for someone to work out how to bind that function to a HOTAS button ...

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

Guys, just picked up mine yesterday and as Wags says - it is AWESOME. Honestly I didn't expect such a difference in DCS. The only downside is lack of included earphones (so the sound plays directly over your ears, which may be a bummer for those with small kids etc). but you can easily plug in any earphones directly to you PC and that solves the problem. I strongly recommend it!

Hey dragon, is it possible to wear a full-size headset and disable the integrated sound with this Rift? With the CV1 I removed the earphones and use my own headset. If this is not possible with the Rift S, I will have to pass.

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

There is an option to get an external view (ie see through the display to the real world) using the cameras in the headset. I believe you currently have to use a button on the controller to enable it, I can't wait for someone to work out how to bind that function to a HOTAS button ...

Please please please, THIS! :thumbup:

From what I heard in a test, it was a double tap on the Dash feature button.

I too would love to have the ability to use a button, or keycombo for these features, I could for example use Voice attack to toggle up a desktop\world view.

Hey dragon, is it possible to wear a full-size headset and disable the integrated sound with this Rift? With the CV1 I removed the earphones and use my own headset. If this is not possible with the Rift S, I will have to pass.

There is a 3.5mm jack on the S itself, so if you got a 4" cable it would be perfect the audio solution is built into the headstrap, and there isn't much point in trying to remove it.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

My experience of the pass through so far, is its not really good for DCS. There's a nose gap in the headset, but its much smaller. Plus you can press the button and move the screen in and out, making the gap bigger and smaller.

This is more convenient than using the pass through, as currently, it's blurry, a bit trippy, it doesn't augment DCS, so you're taken out of the game completely, and still can't see the keyboard clearly. It's good for seeing around the room, and augmenting Oculus home, might get a bit better with updates though.

My experience of the pass through so far, is its not really good for DCS. There's a nose gap in the headset, but its much smaller. Plus you can press the button and move the screen in and out, making the gap bigger and smaller.

This is more convenient than using the pass through, as currently, it's blurry, a bit trippy, it doesn't augment DCS, so you're taken out of the game completely, and still can't see the keyboard clearly. It's good for seeing around the room, and augmenting Oculus home, might get a bit better with updates though.

Yeah It's not meant to be used to read a kneenboard sadly, but it could be useful to find that slice of pizza or a piddle pack if you need one.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

Thanks for the feedback, that's good to know.

Of course is possible

1) the hmd has a plug for external headsets

2) in the Windows sound settings dialog you can always select a different audio output.

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

You can even take the whole halo ring off, I wouldn't be surprised if some better headstraps with better audio options are coming rather sooner than later.

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

You can even take the whole halo ring off, I wouldn't be surprised if some better headstraps with better audio options are coming rather sooner than later.

I like the head strap, but as I've recently found out, when doing more active things like beat saber, it's very absorbent, so can get a little juicy when being active. Not great when your friend wants a go after. So the option of different straps for different occasions would be good.

Is there a way to make a "Nose Gap" on it ?

I really like having quickguides, very usefull when you change a plane

Apparently the rubber nose thing is removable. Depending how your Rift fits your face, there is a small nose gap anyway. Which can be made larger or smaller by using the button on the set, and moving the display housing in and out.

You can get noise cancelling earbuds from Klipsch. They have other great earbuds without noise cancelling and I can tell you that they sound great - great bass.

Right now, I use a 5.1 speaker system that suits my requirements.

Yep I am using Klipsch R6 II earbuds, sound is great.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Apparently the rubber nose thing is removable. Depending how your Rift fits your face, there is a small nose gap anyway. Which can be made larger or smaller by using the button on the set, and moving the display housing in and out.

Moving the housing in and out doesn't afect FOV and clarity ?

I was eather thinking on cutting/removing a piece of rubber if that's posible.

Edit: I get it, you push it out just for a moment for reading ... interesting

Edited by cercata

I find it helps a little on clarity, not so much FOV.

What I do is put headset on and adjust for sweet spot, then snug it up pretty good with the adjustment wheel on back of headset. So far I am finding it very comfortable and it stays where I put it nicely.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Edit: I get it, you push it out just for a moment for reading ... interesting

Moving it in and out of course messes with the FOV and clarity. But I just quickly move mine a few mm, do what i need to do, then place it back, takes a second. You could always cut the nose piece to suit if you want a permanent solution.

I like the head strap, but as I've recently found out, when doing more active things like beat saber, it's very absorbent, so can get a little juicy when being active. Not great when your friend wants a go after. So the option of different straps for different occasions would be good.

You can get different headstraps, but VR Cover will start to offer replacement pads for the halo ring as well.

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

The one thing I absolutely love about my new Rift S is the ability to run my games pretty much at same settings as I was with CV1, including PD, and still get good performance - about the same as I was getting in my Rift CV1.

With much better image clarity.

While the Rift S did not offer the leap in tech I had been hoping for, it has exceeded my expectations for what it does offer.

I will take smaller resolution bump - and much better image clarity with higher game settings, than bigger leap in the device but having to run at much lower graphics settings.

IMHO the Rift S is a big win.

Granted where I was running say 80-90 fps with the Rift CV1, I am now running say 70-80 fps with the Rift S ( ASW off). I really can not tell a difference in performance. Or even 40 fps rather than 45 fps.

Don B

The one thing I absolutely love about my new Rift S is the ability to run my games pretty much at same settings as I was with CV1, including PD, and still get good performance - about the same as I was getting in my Rift CV1.

With much better image clarity.

While the Rift S did not offer the leap in tech I had been hoping for, it has exceeded my expectations for what it does offer.

I will take smaller resolution bump - and much better image clarity with higher game settings, than bigger leap in the device but having to run at much lower graphics settings.

IMHO the Rift S is a big win.

Granted where I was running say 80-90 fps with the Rift CV1, I am now running say 70-80 fps with the Rift S ( ASW off). I really can not tell a difference in performance. Or even 40 fps rather than 45 fps.

Completely agree with everything here. However, I think its not all roses. Are you finding the FOV to be smaller?

Maybe I don't directly mean FOV but it certainly feels like I'm staring through a set of scuba googles more so than it ever did (certainly notice it when in the main menu)

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

Completely agree with everything here. However, I think its not all roses. Are you finding the FOV to be smaller?

Maybe I don't directly mean FOV but it certainly feels like I'm staring through a set of scuba googles more so than it ever did (certainly notice it when in the main menu)

Seems to be about the same to me. I do snug it up on my face pretty good.

Don B

The first day with Rift S behind me. Mixed feelings. Setting the PD to 1.5 gives a really big difference compared to its predecessor. Readable DDI is not a fiction with this setting. FPS'? As for the plus. F-18, which always after landing at the airports "cut" mercilessly now holds the frames without problems. Sound, here we have a significant step backwards and not forward. Sweet Spot is small. As you look at the object standing straight ahead and move your head, stopping your sight at the object, the object begins to bend over! The bigger the movement of the head and the object is on the edge of our field of view, the more leaned it becomes. What is the inclination? a few millimeters, but it makes a lot of difference when looking around during a maneuvering fight. That in the "old" CV1 was not like that ...

Just my first impressions...

HP Reverb, Intel I7 9700K, Zotac GTX 2080Ti, 32GB Ram @4000Mhz Corsair, SDD M.2 500GB Samsung 970 PRO