[REPORTED]GCAS fires when nose is not pointing down

prof_laser

OpenBeta 2.5.5.31917

When flying

- in a bank of more than 50 degrees,

- low-level,

- nose pointing above the horizon,

- and then going wings level,

the GCAS fires at around 35 to 40 degree bank for a split-second. Betty tells the pilot to "pull up" and the GCAS cross appears in the HUD. The TVV is always above the horizon.

bug A-10C GCAS.trk

fetch?filedataid=261737&type=full

I can definitely confirm this. If my quick testing yesterday is anything to go off, the root cause is the radar altimeter. If you bank the A-10 more than 45° in relation to the horizon, the radar altimeter does not work any more, without any regard for the angle of the actual ground.

Say you are flying through a valley and are banked more than 45° in relation to the horizon, but only like 10° in relation to the ground below your plane, the radar altimeter does not function. As soon as you bank back to less than 45°, the radar altimeter reads somewhere between -2000ft and -1000ft and quickly rises back up through 0 to the actual value. when rising through 0 to 500ft, the GCAS fires, as it should.

I think the radar altimeter is at fault.

Everybody said: "That's impossible!" Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Flying the A-10C for the 107th Joint Aviation Squadron

Developing and creating missions for Through The Inferno

Join the TTI Discord

• 2 weeks later...

Still happening in DCS 2.5.5.32533

This is still happening in 2.5.5.32533. 2 patches later. I don't exactly feel like we're taken seriously.

Everybody said: "That's impossible!" Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Join the TTI Discord

I don't think ED has the manpower to fix every reported bug for every module during the next one or two updates. We've got bugs known for months and years, that are still not fixed.

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

confirmed, I was about to open a thread because of this but found yours. Another trk attached in case it's needed.

GCAS bug .trk

Edited by Snakedoc

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 F-GAMING | i7-10700K | RTX3090 TUF OC | 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz | Windows 10 64bit | Acer Predator X34P | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog | TM T.Flight Rudder Pedals

A-10C | A-10C II | F/A-18C | F-16C | FC3 | PG | Syria | SC

Home made F-16C simulator
Forum Thread: DCS World forum - The Viper Project - Home Cockpits Instagram: 1583142 copia.jpg The Viper Project YouTube youtube-icon-512x512-874lspju.png The Viper Project - Youtube channel

Are we sure it is an actual bug?

I have no idea how it works in the real thing but i'd expect it to work as it is right now in the sim.

Once you bank over X degress the R-ALT goes to 0, which is below the GCAS threshold. Once you go back to a more wing level state it resumes reading the altitude and raises from 0 to whatever you R-ALT is and triggers the warning because it does actually read that you're below the GCAS threshold.

Anyone that has "their feet deeper" in the real thing can give an input here?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming, Corsair HX850

I have no idea how it works in the real thing but i'd expect it to work as it is right now in the sim.

Once you bank over X degress the R-ALT goes to 0, which is below the GCAS threshold. Once you go back to a more wing level state it resumes reading the altitude and raises from 0 to whatever you R-ALT is and triggers the warning because it does actually read that you're below the GCAS threshold.

Yes we are sure, actually. Because as previously stated, a) the radar altimeter does not function at 45°+ bank in relation to the horizon, not in relation to the ground (which does not make any sense whatsoever). Also as previously stated, when you bank back to less than 45°, it starts at -2000 or -1000, not at 0.

Join the TTI Discord

bug still present in Open Beta 2.5.5.33057

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 F-GAMING | i7-10700K | RTX3090 TUF OC | 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz | Windows 10 64bit | Acer Predator X34P | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog | TM T.Flight Rudder Pedals

Forum Thread: DCS World forum - The Viper Project - Home Cockpits Instagram: 1583142 copia.jpg The Viper Project YouTube youtube-icon-512x512-874lspju.png The Viper Project - Youtube channel

Reporting this bug in the same thread.

GCAS is oversensetive now, or false positives are triggering it, also tends to fire either too soon, or when doing heavy jerking while like +3000 up, and also fires after recovering from dive.as well.

It could be detecting some newly added map objects/models detecting or other static obstacles on ground (trees) and thinking it's closer than it is, and here's another clue after I played the campagin a bit, it did a brief BREAK X when I dropped the GBU-12, so it thinks the nearby bomb is terrain?

Might also be the same for other aircraft, I noticed sporadic random triggers, it could be my wingman flying below me when we evaded fire, it could be sensing other flares, who knows.

Maybe this was meant for F-18 heh, I find F/A-18 to be a bit less reliable still when it comes to "pull up" detection/prediction.

EDIT: happened again , is this part of the bug or normal?:

1. 5500 feet

2. slight dive (10-20)

3. CCRP GBU-12

4. GCAS PULL UP PULL UP exactly when bomb released

Maybe I never did this cirumstance and it could be normal? I haven't been diving with CCRP intentionally much.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

yep, it's a bug and still there in the latest build Open Beta Hotfix 2.5.5.33184

can ED acknowledge this please?

But it's not that gamebreaking tho, as much as it is dramatic, I'm doing training for when the new cockpit update lands, it'll surely be fixed in time for primetime!

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

But it's not that gamebreaking tho, as much as it is dramatic, I'm doing training for when the new cockpit update lands, it'll surely be fixed in time for primetime!

Sure, it doesn't produce CTDs, but it is annoying af and really makes me not trust the GCAS anymore.

Join the TTI Discord

reported

Thank you! :D

• 1 month later...

The rad alt goes to an out-of-range condition when the aircraft is rolled, it doesn't go to 0 feet. When you roll back to a bank angle where the rad alt can see the ground again, and the rad alt indication goes valid again, that is when the GCAS gets triggered. If you were below the 90 foot AGL minimum that triggers the GCAS, this behavior would be correct. However, this happens at all kinds of different altitudes. I've been at 2000 AGL and had it trigger in level flight, when I roll out of a turn. That behavior isn't correct. The bug is still present in the latest OB. Sure wish they would fix it, because its probably the most annoying of the bugs.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

• 1 month later...

Alright, I realize ED couldn't care less about the A-10C considering it's clearly not their main selling module anymore, but this bug has been in for 4 months now and nothing is happening. Any updates?

Join the TTI Discord

Well, you need to consider time it took for us to even notice this. It's a sneaky one, it's not THAT obvious. It was probably happening for like 2 weeks (for me about ~10 play sessions) before I even took to the forums to see if anyone's talking about GCAS as I only had like a minor hunch at the time. Then time it takes for messages to get to the devs, queues, priorities, scheduling, time fixing, testing, put into the next release timeframe, and time for that release to come, and etc, the general idea, but that's enough, trying to brainstorm deeper wouldn't be much of help for anyone, this isn't open source duck hunt, can't expect that, it's best to just hang in there while providing the necessary diagnostic information, the usual sob stories why the bug is so important to you, you're all raising that diplomacy with the opinion from the initial posts so no need to get angry, and let them prioritize it and sort it out themselfs.

It's not like I don't share the slight nuisance but I'm understanding the situation, able to tolerate it.

Due to technology-code sharing benefits and other factors it was focused on F-16C. That's how they, Russia, built the bridge to Crimea and the whole tavrida highway and railway, a Moscow expert said that they weren't happy about Putin's diversion of federal funds to Crimea away from other road maintenance projects, but being understanding of the immense national and historical situation, while with mixed feelings they were not hostile and did not take any action to oppose or put any legal obstructions, and the idea was that "we'll hang in for 2 more years over here but we'll have a cool new bridge as well".

Edited by Worrazen

• 4 weeks later...

any updates on this? Bug was acknowledge as "reported" in July...

btw this happens on the F16C also, you can see the brake-X on both MFDs flashing at times

@BIGNEWY

@NineLine

can you give us an update on this? Is the team looking at this particular issue?

Thanks