Autopilot not working?

danny875

WIP, not yet implemented

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

Is the autopilot finished? I ask as I can only get the Altitude Hold to work, I can’t get Heading Select or Attitude Hold to work at all...

Thanks

I'm pretty sure attitude hold works as well, the roll and stp don't. At least I am pretty confident I have used attitude hold on a previous flight.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

Attitude hold works. Pitch up to 15 degrees. Let go of the stick. Note the pitch movement because of being trimmed to 1G, activate attitude hold, all pitch motion stops.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Attitude hold certainlly doesn't work for me.

Pretty sure ED stated in another post that only alt hold was working atm.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Pitch and Attitude trim are in now and heading and steerpoint AP will come a bit later.

Thanks

Thanks Wags. Do you mean altitude and attitude pitch? If so, then how does the pitch attitude work?

If I pull a pitch up attitude and hold it steady, the pitch angle decreases as speed drops, obviously. If I switch on attitude hold, nothing changes.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

This is very confusing.

The manual says that 'the pitch switch can be set to.......the ATT HOLD setting sets the aircraft to maintain the current pitch/roll attitude'.

It also says that 'the roll switch.....ATT HOLD maintains the current roll/pitch attitude'.

From what I can see that is not the case, setting pitch ATT HOLD only maintains roll attitude. It does not maintain pitch at all.

Attitude hold works fine for me. <shrug>

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Attitude hold works fine for me. <shrug>

Pitch attitude?

Pitch attitude?

Yep.. I use it on climbs quite often. holds the nose position perfectly. I am making sure not to get too slow though.

Proud owner of:

Yep.. I use it on climbs quite often. holds the nose position perfectly. I am making sure not to get too slow though.

OK, please tell me where am I gong wrong on this track. I know I am misunderstanding somewhere! Pitch up, switching on ATT HOLD does nothing to stop the angle going down as we slow.

I'm not near my computer atm to check your track. But just out of interest if you pitch up the same amount but don't activate ATT HOLD does that aircraft behave the same or differently? Mine pitches up slowly as it tries to maintain 1G.

Proud owner of:

ATT HOLD has no effect at all on pitch angle for me.

Edited by imacken

Pitch in ATT HOLD has a noticeable, and at first glance, correct effect. Use of the AP paddle switch highlights the behavior of the autopilot well as pressing and releasing the AP paddle will show a distinct and expected behavior.

The pitch channel of the autopilot will only hold pitch so much. At high AOA (>15 AOA I think) the pitch will not be held and this is normal.

The only thing I wonder is if ALT position of pitch channel attempts to gain a certain captured altitude or simply attempts to zero out vertical rate. For example if engaged during a dive instantaneously though 10,000' will the autopilot maneuver the airplane level at any altitude or will it attempt a climb from the bottom of the pull out back to 10kft.

This is just not working for me.

Here is a nice simlpe track. It's IA mission Free Flight, go to a 10 degree climb, invoke pitch ATT HOLD, and.... nothing. The pitch angle just keeps dropping. And that's at 100% throttle!

I really don't get what you guys mean when you say pitch ATT HOLD is working.

I am clearly misunderstanding something here.

Looked fine to me. The gun cross stayed at ~14 degrees the whole time. Remember it is pitch hold, not flight path angle.

↑ This

Proud owner of:

Looked fine to me. The gun cross stayed at ~14 degrees the whole time. Remember it is pitch hold, not flight path angle.

Right, got it. Thanks a lot. I can see now how it works. Thanks for your patience!

So when I’m in a slight bank the pitch attitude hold only holds the bank angle...

This can be checked by pulling the paddle briefly and watching the bank angle change back toward centre, release the paddle and it will revert to the last held bank angle. All this whilst the pitch of the nose is slowly declining.

Am in not understanding something here?

Thanks