Bug? Real ATC audio during mission

vctpil

Hi,

I have recorded some real ATC audio to include as radio transmission in missions (with a frequency and a trigger). It works great.

however, on some missions where the airplane start in the air, I cannot hear the radio transmission (I am within the range). I have also included some audio recorded by me (use of trigger sound to all).

Is the radio transmission does not work because the aircraft start in the air or because there is another audio coming, or both ?

Thanks,

Vincent

Edit : When I use the play button on the ME, I cannot hear the radio transmission. If I reload the file and press play, I can hear the transmission. During the mission, it does not work.

Edit 2 : sometimes, even by reloading the file, I cannot hear the transmission! To hear it in the ME, I have to select another audio file, then select the correct one. But still no sound during the mission.

Edit 3 : I have removed all audio recorded by myself. Radio transmission are working, sometimes need a few seconds to start. Look like there is a conflict between radio transmission and sound to all when play in the same time.

Hope this help.

Edited by vctpil
new infos

IAMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12x 3.7 to 4.8Ghz - 32Go DDR4 3600Mhz - GeForce RTX 3080 - Samsung Odyssey G7 QLED - AIMXY

Getting sounds to play is fairly easy.

You can have it play once or switched condition. You can have everyone hear it or have it set to a coalition or to a radio frequency.

Basic sound play could be as this example:

TRIGGER>>>SWITCHED CONDITION

CONDITIONS>>> UNIT DEAD (UNIT NAME1) OR UNIT DEAD (UNIT NAME2)

ACTION>>> SOUND TO ALL(AG_KILL_BOOM1.OGG)

So, what this particular trigger does is switches the sound file on to play for everyone if either of those units get killed. Its best to use ogg sound file format.

When using RADIO TRANSMISSION, make sure you have AM or FM set depending on which you want; that is the most common error made by folks. Also, I do find some sound will not play online or offline. For example, I have triggers set so that when our wing members join their jet an audio file announces they are in their jet: "BoneDust has entered his F18". It is a simple trigger using UNIT ALIVE. I have noticed that this does not work for me offline, but works well online.

Also, when you say transmit message do you mean sound? Transmitting a message in the sim means a test message; for example "Mission success, RTB"

I hope this helps?

See video example. You'll here BOOMwhen the artillery piece is hit; plays to all blue coalition. You can also here chatter in the background that is set to a specific frequency.

Edited by BoneDust
spelling errors etc

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I am agree that using sound or transmit is quite easy, but it simply does not work.

See my triggers in attached.

If I push play on the mission editor, there is no sound at all. If I listen the sound with VLC or playing the sound in missions where I start on the ground with engine running, I can hear the sound.

In my opinion, the problem is coming when I start the mission in the air.

I have tried also via Advanced Waypoint action, but no sound at all.

If you want to try the mission, I can give google drive link.

Image1.thumb.png.13eb1f1614cb6fa55ecee9ccb9cd2499.png

Image1a.thumb.png.45576f6317947cc03e2b14683af62085.png

IAMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12x 3.7 to 4.8Ghz - 32Go DDR4 3600Mhz - GeForce RTX 3080 - Samsung Odyssey G7 QLED - AIMXY

This may not be related, then again, it may be as well.

When I was making my Red Flag mission, I was having problems with some transmissions on frequencies not working, and 317.525 was one of them. For some reason, it just didn't seem to work 100% of the time. Try switching the frequency to 317.5 and try again. It was almost as if there were problems with the 25khz channel spacing.

In my case, the cockpit parameters of 317.525 would show as 317.5199996 (or something like that). That precluded my aircraft from receiving the transmission.

My thinking is that although your aircraft radio says it's tuned to 317.525, it is in fact tuned to something like 317.5199996.

I can check it out a bit if you send me your mission.

I can't load the mission right now because I don't have the mods you have installed. I'm willing to be the reason is the frequency you're transmitting on. Change the frequency that the transmission is happening on to one that has only one decimal place and give it a go. (make 317.525 into 317.5 and see what happens).

Don't worry about cockpit parameters, it's just a way to see, via the console, what the aircraft you're flying is actually doing. (it will list things like what frequency the radios are tuned to, etc...)

Hi,

Sorry, the mod installed is the 476th objects.

I have tried 317.5 but I still can't hear the radio transmission. The other frequency use 254.4 does not work either.

I am still convinced that the problem comes from in-flight start.

I have another mission starting on ground, and I will have a try.

I've found a couple of things....

First things first, your audio files are way too large. The 90mb audio file you have for the FSS Lee or Sally are way too big for the program to load properly. I'm pretty sure that's why you aren't hearing it in the mission editor or game.

Secondly, even if you replace the audio file with something smaller in size, it won't always work because of line of sight issues. Your transmission zone is 60ish miles from your aircraft and line of sight rules are in effect. Put your transmission zone closer to your aircraft and try to make it at the peak of a hill to help with line of sight.

I replaced the audio in your mission with a smaller .ogg file and moved the zone closer to the player aircraft, and it works as it should. I recommend choosing smaller snippets of audio, making them mono only, saving at the lowest quality/smallest size that you can. If you do that, and the file does not play in the mission editor, it's still too big.

Ok, very good, thanks for advices.

I will have a look at the audio file to reduce the size, but it will take some times (working!).

Concerning the line of sight, do you mean that the trigger translmitting the audio take account of the altitude (peak of hill) ?

Thanks once again, i will keep you informed.

I have had some times to try to convert som audio and insert them in a mission.

So,I have converted a .ogg of +/-80Mo to a .ogg of 22Mo to simulate the ATC. Ihave also the three messages recorded by myself.

When the mission start on the ground, no problem.

When the mission start in-flight :

1. No ATC can be heard

2. I flew to the center of the trigger that transmit the ATC, but still not sound

3. Sometimes, one of the 3 messages I have recorded cannot be heard. It is not the same message each time, that is why I think about a conflict somwhere

4. I have left the three messages I have recorded to be heard first, then I switch to the ATC frequency, but still no sound

Weird, isn't it ?

Edited by vctpil

22mb is still pretty large.... I think the largest size I work with is about 500kb large, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

The other thing you might try is to delay the start of the audio.. As it is now, your audio is set to start right away. Maybe put as a condition that it starts with "time more than" 10 seconds or so. Just to make sure the sounds have a bit of time to load.

Good luck.

IIRC the largest .ogg I've seen in DCS is a ~66MB .ogg file (123Kbps, 1h 16min) for a 'Vietnam' themed radio station in DCS 1.5.

"New-06-Helicopters_Tranning-The_UH-1H.miz" still works in 2.5.5.39384, it uses script triggers and a zone to transmit.

ONCE Radio Check NOEVENT > FLAG TRUE (airborne), FLAG EQUALS (mission menu item selected) [OR] etc. >

RADIO TRANSMISSION (radio1.ogg, Radio (Zone), true (i.e. AM), On (Loop), 135.4 (MHz), 200 (W), 0 (Delay))

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Hi,

I have tried the 10 seconds delay, and it works, but it take few minutes for the audio to start due to its size probably.

Maybe something prevent (unintentionnaly) large audio to start if the mission is demanding in term of PC ressource. I din't know why, probably a bug, ceating a 1vs1 mission in TTR requires a lot of ressource!

So, I reduces the size of the audio file, from 88mo to 20mo without reducing the quality, and I will try as soon as I get back to home.

Yeah, the 476th range items plus the large audio file size really bogged down my computer. Perhaps you might consider really reducing the quality size, change to mono and maybe break it up into chunks of 5-10 minutes or so.

Flag 1 > Play Audio 0-5 minutes

Time since Flag 1 5 minutes > Play Audio 5-10 minutes

Time since Flag 1 10 minutes > Play Audio 10-15 minutes

Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Reducing the audio size from 80mo to 22mo without lose of quality solve the problem.

No need of the 10 seconds delay anymore.

Thanks all for your suggestions.