BUG Report: C-101CC Damage Model and Effects On Flight

Xoho

Earlier in Rudel's damage model thread I mentioned an example where I lost all control surfaces and maintained perfect control in the pitch axis as though nothing had been lost (except ailerons/rudder). While testing the damaging effects of the BIN-200 fire bombs, I

ran into it again, this time with a track, and perfect control in all axes. I had full pitch, roll, and yaw control despite having none of the required control surfaces remaining. Flight remained normal despite missing significant portions of the wings as well. If the engine had not died in this instance, normal flight would have been entirely possible. See attached track and screenshots:

C-101CC Damage Model_BIN-200 Damage Effect #001.trk

Screen_191114_190519.thumb.png.626f4cf387b434581abb14acc5409a30.png

Screen_191114_190637.thumb.png.a53c47725ca7e1eb3d9ed91ae14cf429.png

Screen_191114_190508.thumb.png.243a3d298cbee2000aacae7f3bf3babe.png

That trk doesn't play back correctly. I would need a very short trk starting in the air, with latest open beta version.

Also, of course I can't reproduce, since damage model is done in our module, so what you describe would be nearly impossible to happen (not to say impossible), because when you lose parts of the lifting surfaces or control surfaces, it affects the flight model, affecting lift, drag and control of the airplane, or aircraft systems like engine, etc.

What version are you using?

Roberto "Vibora" Seoane

Alas Rojas

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

sigpic97175_2_small.pngAERGES-LOGO-sin_fondo_small.png

Latest open beta, though it also occurred in the past. This happens most of the time when I take blast damage but survive. I'll try and make an even simpler track, though if that track didn't work then I'm not sure one can be made accurate enough. As can be seen in the screenshots I got from being on fire and missing control surfaces to landing with gear extended, with no change in flight characteristics from normal even with all the damage that was sustained.

From a few days ago, when I took a hit from an AIM-9P-5 and retained full pitch control with my yaw and roll axis essentially locked in place. (Aircraft did not roll or yaw at all, and maintained the bank angle perfectly, while I had full pitch control) The engine was still functional so I was able to sustain flight without issue, aside from not being able to do anything except fly in circles.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4108078&postcount=26

Edited by Xoho

C-101 trks recorded with the a/c on ground do not play back correctly. Record it starting in the air. The shorter the trk the better.

It should be simple for you to record such a short trk, you can for example set an enemy C-101 loaded with cannon behind your airplane.

Roberto "Vibora" Seoane

Alas Rojas

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is turning out to be one of those things that I can only seem to fully recreate when I'm not trying to, but here is a track demonstrating how despite a significant difference in lifting area after having most of one wing but only a portion of the other destroyed. Flight characteristics remain unchanged in the sense that while losing pitch control, the roll characteristics remained perfectly normal and no uncommanded roll was present. Had pitch control and trim been available, hands off level flight would have been entirely possible.

Screen_191115_131555.thumb.png.002f42290cf53e08fe9d9926b2311ab7.png

C-101CC Damage Model_BIN-200 Damage Effect #002.trk

Edited by Xoho

Hmm, the track may have corrupted as well then. I was able to maintain roll control, and when controls were released it behaved as though it were undamaged when it comes to roll, despite missing significant portions of the right wing and right horizontal stabilizer, but only a small portion of the left wing and left horizontal stabilizer.

In that same test the pitch behavior was a total loss of pitch control as expected, but the roll behavior was acting up.

Most of the time this occurs it's one or two glitchy behaviors occurring seemingly at random, but there are times when all of them glitch out and the aircraft handles perfectly fine, despite visually sustaining massive amounts of damage and not having the required control surfaces.

Edited by Xoho

I ran one with the last update (as well as the update before that), but perhaps uninstalling and reinstalling the module would work? Is there anything in the savedgames directory I should make sure to uninstall as well?

This is what I see in the trk you uploaded: you release the BIN-200 at low altitude and therefore the a/c gets affected by the bombs blast. It loses all tail control surfaces, a large part of right wing and a not so large part of left wing, it therefore enters a roll to the right that can't be counteracted with the remaining left aileron, and crashes into the see.

Roberto "Vibora" Seoane

Alas Rojas

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The track should be showing the damage, but also no change in roll characteristics, with full control still possible due to the remaining aileron. After a repair I haven't encountered it yet, but I also haven't had too much time to test it. I'll keep an eye out for it reappearing, which I think it will as I've run several repairs in the recent past and this still occurred. Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...