GS: EA Look at the P-47D + New Map

Eldur

So you've been hammering your MiG28 key to see when the forum section pops up to throw in some RL footage ASAP? rdlaugh.png

Even BN was late in there dealwithit.png

But I wouldn't mind him moving this thread over there salute.png

To be fair, you dropped it a bit earlier in the discussion thread, but I thought it would get buried in there too quickly rainbowdashwink.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

So what does everyone think about the map's size & position?

It is far too small. According to Spudnockers video it is about a quarter of the size of the current Normandy Map. In fact, it is the top right corner of the Normandy Map, what are they thinking? If the map was a add on to Normandy it would be great because those airfields would make a lot of sense for the Normandy invasion - part of the problem with Normandy is the lack of ramp space. To put the size in perspective, the Caucuses map is nearly 900 nm x 500 nm and the detailed area of Georgia and Russia is ~415 nm x 300 nm about twice the size of the Normandy Map.

It makes no sense. Two of the airfields in England, RAF Manston and RAF High Halden are Late war. Manston has a crash runway that was not operational until spring of 1944 I think and RAF High Halden was only active from 13 April 1944 to September 1944. So the earliest setting for the map would be April 1944. RAF Hawkinge was in use throughout the war from 1939 to the end of 1944 and RAF Lympne was in use pretty much from 1939 to November 1944. So with the earliest date April 1944 and the latest Dec 1944 none of the Airfields in France were active in 1944.

Merville-Calonne abandoned in 1943

Dunkerque-Mardyck abandoned in May 1941

St-Omer – Longuenesse Looks like it was last used in 1943 and was prepared for destruction in Apr 1944, the runway destroyed and it was abandoned on 4 Jun 1944

Abbeville-Drucat I can't find any reference to a unit stationed there after Aug 43 when II/JG26 left.

In general the quality looks far better than the Normandy map, the grass fields in particular but would it have killed them to make a Belfast Truss a Type C and Type T and B1 Hangar model instead of using the more modern hangers? The RAF used these pretty extensively so one model would be used again and again. RAF Hawkinge had 8 Belfast and two Type C if I remember correctly.

Call me a Jug....er I mean mug, but I'm all in for both the Channel Map and the P47D.

I was on the fence about the P47D to start with but this video has me hooked I'm afraid, love that engine sound, they got it just right. Channel map was going to be a first day buy for me anyway.

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Yeah pretty much what rob said. Visually the map looks very nice IMO, especially the airfields. But it doesnt really make sense for the aircraft we have really.

Feels like it was made more with some BOB nostalgia in mind, or with the hopes that ED will make Spit Is IIs and 109 Es at some point.

Looks like DCS WWII will continue to be alternate history for a while.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

Can't say I'm bothered about the P47, but the map looks lovely.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Feels like it was made more with some BOB nostalgia in mind, or with the hopes that ED will make Spit Is IIs and 109 Es at some point.
Which BTW was said by Nick Grey that will happen eventually.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Yes in 10 years when dcs is that far it will have been a great decision. Then they can redo the map for a 1941 period and it will all work great.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

Am i the only one that finds the looks of the new Channel map underwhelming?

I thought this one will look much better than Normandy, but in this video it looks very similar: the same polygonal fields and forests, dead straight tree lines...

The planes in DCS are wonderful but in my opinion the ground graphics are way behind, so in the end this pushed me away. I was really hoping this map will bring me back to DCS...

I swear some

People are blind and have no attention to detail. Go to google earth and look at the region and see how mundane it is. Haven’t even seen all the details of the channel map and it’s already leaps ahead of detail in Normandy map.

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

I swear some

People are blind and have no attention to detail. Go to google earth and look at the region and see how mundane it is. Haven’t even seen all the details of the channel map and it’s already leaps ahead of detail in Normandy map.

I tested the Normandy map and I found a very ugly and poorly made map. The Channel at least in the Wags teases I found fantastic. I will wait for new videos on the map.

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

Am i the only one that finds the looks of the new Channel map underwhelming?

I thought this one will look much better than Normandy, but in this video it looks very similar: the same polygonal fields and forests, dead straight tree lines...

The planes in DCS are wonderful but in my opinion the ground graphics are way behind, so in the end this pushed me away. I was really hoping this map will bring me back to DCS...

Do you know the RL area the least? It just mimics what there's in that zone, which is, you wonder what? Polygonal fields and dead straight tree lines… :music_whistling:

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

Do you know the RL area the least? It just mimics what there's in that zone, which is, you wonder what? Polygonal fields and dead straight tree lines… :music_whistling: [...]

You're making it a little bit too easy though. I agree, that the topography of the that area is depicted "realistically", however i also think that it simply does not look very impressive. It looks as if it misses those satelite-derived textures that make PG look so nice from altitude.

In Spudknockers video i found the Area around Dunkirk to look just a little bit bland. England looks exceptionally well, so maybe the french part is still getting tweaked?!

Do you know the RL area the least? It just mimics what there's in that zone, which is, you wonder what? Polygonal fields and dead straight tree lines… :music_whistling:

S!

Yes, i spent 2 months in northern France some years ago, but this doesn't mean much since i didn't see it from above.

Now i've seen more videos and the towns near the coast line seem to be really nice. Airfields seem to be a good step forward as well.

I'm just concerned about what it looks like more inland. From the video posted at the start of the thread, the landscape seemed to be exclusively made of polygonal grass fields and perfectly straight tree lines, while in real life there are many things breaking this pattern if you look at a reasonable size area.

I also noticed that 90% of the fields seems to be the same shade of green; this may be related to the seasons, but if you look on google maps you can see a lot more color variations.

Don't get me wrong, i'll be very happy if this map turns out to be really good.

You're making it a little bit too easy though. I agree, that the topography of the that area is depicted "realistically", however i also think that it simply does not look very impressive. It looks as if it misses those satelite-derived textures that make PG look so nice from altitude.

In Spudknockers video i found the Area around Dunkirk to look just a little bit bland. England looks exceptionally well, so maybe the french part is still getting tweaked?!

Not really. I either hope it's not far away from EA as well as believe it's hardly finished yet. Just that :thumbup:.

Yes, i spent 2 months in northern France some years ago, but this doesn't mean much since i didn't see it from above
For me it's exactly the opposite, only visited France a couple times and not those areas for sure, but I've flown to Britain several times watching France from above all the way to there. It's really amazing how seen from above those fields peppered in tiny colourful squares are just and exactly how sims since a really long time do depict them.

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar