BK90 - Can it only be used over flat terrain?

Hoggorm

Hi,

I have a lot of problems getting the BK90 Mjölner to work on targets in valleys.

I have no problem using it over flat terrain, but once there are some hills I never hit. Even if the gliding dispenser flies straight over the target.

Can it only be used successfully against targets at flat terrain?

I'm sure my position is correct using terrain navigation (50 is the last two digits before deploying the weapon).

If you have Tacview you can see a couple of examples here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16066714/Tacview-20170219-210438-DCS.txt.acmi

The BK90 flies straight over the target and crashes in the mountain on the other side. One infantry is killed...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16066714/Tacview-20170220-213440-DCS.txt.acmi

1st attack. The BK90 flies straight into a mountain before reaching the target. For some reason the 2nd BK90 is not launched. Instead a Sidewinder is fired...

2nd attack. The BK90s are unfortunately launched a bit too early, but they appear to crash into each other before hitting terrain.

3rd attack. I gave up and loaded some M/71 with chute instead.

Any help would be appreciated!

I have no answer to the specific question but I would like to confirm the problem when Sidewinder has been launched instead BK90. That happens to me once. The second run went ok. I think I've done everything like the first time.

Also, I had success only with mixed type of munition. The other two types didn't destroyed anything regardless direct hit.

[B]*NOB* Lucky[/B] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Tko vrijedi leti, tko leti vrijedi, tko ne leti ne vrijedi

I have no answer to the specific question but I would like to confirm the problem when Sidewinder has been launched instead BK90. That happens to me once. The second run went ok. I think I've done everything like the first time.

Also, I had success only with mixed type of munition. The other two types didn't destroyed anything regardless direct hit.

I see. Thank you for confirming the Sidewinder issue!

The BK90 works well over hilly terrain. You may want to increase the cruise altitude of the BK90 to 150 meters if there are sharp climbs.

What is the code to enter after 91. The manual is not too specific.

VALB (selectable) – The weapon’s altitude is set by the value in address 91 in mode TAKT/

IN. Possible intervals is set to 30 – 500 m. After clearing TAKT or entering value 0, the default

altitude of 60 m is set.

STD (Standard) – The default value of 60 m is set.

Attack altitude

The attack altitude is always 60 metres AGL.

Cheers

David

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

The BK90 works well over hilly terrain. You may want to increase the cruise altitude of the BK90 to 150 meters if there are sharp climbs.

Thank you.

I just tried that on two attempts.

The first attempt I approached perpendicular to the valley. Both missiles flew over the target but impacted the mountain on the other side. No enemy units were killed.

On the next attempt, I flew down in the valley. This gave the best result so far with some enemy casualties. Very nice! I assume that had I asked for a long attack instead of a standard I could have taken out much more.

But what happened on the first attempt? Why did the missiles fail? Can it be a bug since the missiles crashed so soon after the target. In the real world, I guess the ammunition would have been released the moment the missiles flew over the target. So, if it crashes a moment later that would not matter. Can it be that the missile and ammunition is considered one until the actual explosion occurs?

My next thought is regarding the release altitude over the target. The checklist calls for an AGL altitude between 50-500 meters. I was indeed just over 400 meters AGL. But I was about 1000 meters over the target (QFE). Can this be an issue?

Here is a Tacview track:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16066714/Tacview-20170221-115012-DCS.txt.acmi

Edited by Hoggorm
Added Tackview track

dispersal of the bomblets seems to be best if BK90 is set a little bit higher... of course the dispersal parameters can be entered into the computer..

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

I enter, in TAKT: 91150 -> LS for 150 meters. 91500 for 500 etc.

Thanks.

Its a powerful weapon indeed.

Reminds me a bit of the JP233, certainly in its ferocity, but of course we can't knock out runways with the Viggens bk90 cluster bomblets?

Cheers:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

One sidebar question regarding the BK-90 - when observing them via externals, I've never seen the submunitions disperse (although later I see the explosions over the target). Just wondering if this is still a WIP and we will see the animations, or it was decided to not show it to save FPS.

Has anyone else seen the submunitions disperse (like we get with the CBU-97 for example)?

Sorry for a bit OT, BTW is BK90 working in MP now?

After the second patch it was reported that the BK90 only works for the host in MP.

LN should have a solution, but since there's been no patch since, it is still not working.

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

• 2 months later...