Setting up a common Joystick/Throttle File

WeakLink

Hi guys, I sure some of you computer nerds can help me out. When I started in DCS, as all newbies I read just enough of the manual to be dangerous. But recently I have notice that my joystick and Throttle layouts are all over the place. Is there a way to bring them all together into one file? Or even into a aircraft file for each aircraft?

If I was to built a joystick and throttle file say for the F86, just downloaded, and I wanted it to come up when the model was selected on the top under System (F-86) /controller menu / Then click load profile, listed as F86 joystick, Throttle, and Rudder programs, which I now have to load one by one how do you do this.?

Right now If I want to load the Harrier keybinds It comes up in the F/A 18c listing. (after Load Profile clicked)

E>DCS World>Mods>AircraftFA18C>Missions FA18C>Controllers Programs this is where the Harrier files are saved for some reason.

It works fine but I would love to straighten this out. Any clues to what I have done wrong or how to correct this problem now or in the future would be very helpful, as stated I am not a computer expert and need some help here.

WeakLink

I think not as I think the config files are stored by module. I did see in one module recently that its possible to predefine a default for specific hardware. I agree it would be nice if there was a universal config for common items like Pitch role rudder etc that superseded module configs if there was nothing defined. The big issue I have is that DCS assigns an axis to every device which can then clash so things like the Cougar MFD's are all seen as having 3 axis and the Saitek rudder pedals for some reason aren't seen as a rudder so pitch and roll assigns to to throw brakes etc. I spent a good hour a couple days ago going through and cleaning out the axis assignments for everything I might want to fly and setting some usable defaults.

Honestly I think ED could stop developing features and spend 6 months on this kind of house keeping task at this point and it would be time well spent, but I would honestly rather have module features than a polished product,.

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

The profiles you found might have been saved there by accident - like you saved them some day and did not know where. You can use Cleanup and Repair to make it tidy:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/repair/#2463807

but if it works fine there's nothing to fix. DCS is not super tidy install anyway, so don't OCD it.

Working profiles are stored under \saved games\dcs\config\input. Every module has it's own files there if anything was changed from default binding. These are diff files, meaning only the differences are saved there. Every device has it's own file. When you go to controls and save the profile it saves only the highlighted column of binding, meaning you saved the binding for this one device for this one module (and one type if there are more than one for a module, like "easy", "real", "Pilot", "RIO", etc.). If you load a profile you highlight the right column in the right module and then have to load the right file for it - hence it's best to use proper naming if saved in other place to avoid confusions, ie. AV-8B T16000M my profile.diff.lua.

It's advised to keep the control list clean to avoid crossbindings esp. in axis category - make sure your joy is controlling the pitch and roll axis and not one other device uses these axes. Same for throttle - make sure stick is not binded to it, only the throttle handle. That has to be done as DCS has some default profiles and adds some bindings on it's own whenever you connect the device.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Ive just found every time I add a module free or paid and go in the first thing I have to do is strip the axis from my TM Cougars and fix my rudder pedals. I gated DCS assigns an X to Pitch a Y to roll etc. The pedals may actually grab throttle on one tow as I recall theres not an X axis for them and I have had the problem of toe brake applying throttle if the bindings reset, but the MFDs dont have an axis so that as always perplexed me.

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

cw1.png

Hey draconus thanks for the info, just one question, can I cut and paste so that the proper controller inputs appear under the Aircraft name outside the DCS game game itself. That is go to my C drive access the controller input for the A/C then transfer them to the DCS game under the correct A/C in the input folder.

The repair info was very helpful thanks, I'll give that a try.

Hey draconus thanks for the info, just one question, can I cut and paste so that the proper controller inputs appear under the Aircraft name outside the DCS game game itself. That is go to my C drive access the controller input for the A/C then transfer them to the DCS game under the correct A/C in the input folder.

It is best to use the ingame profile load/save method. You can copy the files around the folders or even edit the files yourself but you have to be sure of what you're doing - always have a backup of your saved games\dcs\config\input. Remember the bindings are not universal for all the modules so one device profile will not work for all. There are bindings named ex. "Trigger" in one module and "Fire" in the other doing the same thing but will not work if you just paste the file.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Interesting. If I may ask ... is it possible to copy OB f18 profile and cut and copy in the stable F18 profile?

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

Interesting. If I may ask ... is it possible to copy OB f18 profile and cut and copy in the stable F18 profile?

Yes, but due to some potential changes in bindings between versions it may or may not work flawlessly.

SC release added bindings I suspect the laser version change messed with bindings too

cw1.png

Yes, but due to some potential changes in bindings between versions it may or may not work flawlessly.

rgrt draconus. Thx !!!

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020