Should I go for it?

Rhino182

Its really simple... the experience you will have is worth a few hundred buck$.

Check your local Best Buy or similar for a Demo. There are other apps to experience besides DCS.

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

As has been stated there are downsides with regard to visual quality and FPS. Before you decide, you need to make sure your system can run it. My specs are in my sig but I've upgraded my vid card to a 1080ti. I started with a 1060 Asus Strix and could run on above medium settings just fine through all missions and MP. That being said though, as has been stated previously, once you've flown in VR it is VERY DIFFICULT to go back to 2D. I still fly BMS and have for 18 years but after the 1080ti upgrade I just don't have the interest in it now and I have a KILLER BMS setup with 50 4KUHD, 27" touch panel with maxed settings. It's just not the same. The vertigo l got when I first flew with VR had me yelling HELL YES!!

I'm not a patient person and I have other hobby items I can sell to upgrade where needed so it was a no brainer for me.

If you're a flight sim freak and have the system or money to upgrade, why wait?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

I have the three monitors and trackir5 and love my rife so much I’m selling the stuff I will not use like the three monitors a propit setup bunch of saitek panels both trackir setups I’m only keeping the axis controllers I’m even going to sell my saitek pedals because I love the vr experience I just received my jetseat I’m trying to order a speedmaster flight because it seems to be the best solution to work with my pft puma helo controls I’ll be adding the vkb. Gf2pro w. Mcgpro & ext and a tecs once they are released I’m keeping my saitek yoke and throttle quadrant until I find a better solution for those I’m get rid of the entry level controls as soon as possible.saitek then tm replaced by vkb and whatever yoke and throttle quadrant I can find and like. I’ll upgrade to the next gen oculus when it comes out because it’s the best setup I’ve seen and I usually stick to a brand unless it fails me.

I love to fly in from the only time i don’t is testing something out and I’m not there to fly but to test the equipment or software. I’ve been consistently flying the Huey in dcs but I’m going to try out the f-15c next while I’m waiting on my speedmaster flight.

Afa price I got my rift for $300 or $400 which seems to be the going price as I’ve seen I got mine back before the holidays I thought the price was so good I bought it without having a PC to run it as I normally a mac users.

Edited by BlacleyCole

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Yeah the bad thing about VR is that it does somewhat limit your options. 2D you can dip into or indeed play at 30 fps and theres no problem. VR such drops would be gamebreaking, so in a massive flight sim like DCS it does mean there are going to be more missions and aspects of the game off limits to you. Some missions play like pants on the highest of gaming rigs. That can be a bit annoying if you want to play through a campaign, but there is always the mission editor. Very few people can switch to VR and switch back again though, once you try it, it's like going back to cofee after methamphetamine (or so I imagine!)
The problem is that with monitor you can run 15-18 fps without big problem, only spotting a low framerate choppiness in edges of screen like trees and buildings going by.

But in VR your brain can totally work out with 24 fps but the smoothing features start to warp edges like wing and missile tips, canopy edges and HUD lines etc. And that makes very annoying experience.

I think ED should implement a motion blur feature we can adjust for fast moving objects to make things more realistic and easier for GPU.

As now very sharp objects with low frame rate makes it obvious.

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

If your budget allows it? I would wait for second gen of VR That should be out fairly soon,If not the first gen stuff will be hitting ebay soon and you should be able to save at least 40% of original gen1 price.

You should try before you buy,VR isn't for everyone,Personally I can not be without it.If you're anywhere near Chicago IL Drop me a line and I'd gladly let you try mine.

Patrick

mini.gif

I don't personally believe in waiting for the next generation of anything. Why? Because I would always be waiting. My Harleys are older, but I get to ride them now, I don't need to wait for the next model year. GPUs are the same...wait for the next gen. Then the next gen gets pushed back. There are, as everyone has mentioned, downsides. But the immersion, the "being there", it's worth it, in my opinion. Will bad guys in mp get the jump on you? Yeah, probably. I guess it's all in what you want to get from the situation.

Exactly!

i9-9900K @5.1Ghz w/ 32GB RAM, RTX2080 Super w/ 8G, Samsung Odyssey VR HMD, 1 TB SSD, VKB Gladiator MKII, TM TWCS throttle, Saitek Pro Yoke, Saitek Throttle Quadrant x2, CH Pro Pedals, Obutto Ozone

FWIW, I, too, had a three-screen simpit, and since getting my Odyssey, I haven't flown or driven in three-screen 2D one single time; not once.

Yeah, when I play a game on the main screen that doesn't have a VR mode I notice the increased sharpness and image quality, but I also MISS the immersion I get in VR. For me, I haven't purchased a game in months that is 2D only.

I'm a professional photographer, and REALLY appreciate high quality video and still images, but I still prefer flying and racing in VR, and it's only going to get better. When the hardware and software get better, I'll have a ton of experience using VR, and will be able to instantly transition to the higher quality experience...but for now, I'm having a blast!

i9-9900K @5.1Ghz w/ 32GB RAM, RTX2080 Super w/ 8G, Samsung Odyssey VR HMD, 1 TB SSD, VKB Gladiator MKII, TM TWCS throttle, Saitek Pro Yoke, Saitek Throttle Quadrant x2, CH Pro Pedals, Obutto Ozone

If you have a 1080TI and a decent cpu/ram go for it.

I my self with just an overclockt 1070 7700k sadly have to say it´s poor performance or look uggly as hell. I love the immersion but the game looks so beautifull when maxed out on a big tv screen and VR with my card doesn´t come closely so i always go back to the TV and headtracking (i didn´t get the rift for DCS thought).

I just took the rift to dcs today again for the night airrefueling A10C mission from the ATT Campaign and it was really helpfull because of the perspective and i loved it. But when i kept it on for the next day mission i just thought uuuugh and back to tv for me till the new Nvidias come out.

Good topic Neuse. AA refueling and formation flying ability went through the roof for me once I got the rift. Its absolutely unbelievable the difference it makes.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Been flying DCS since Oculus Dk2, now CV1. Thats my cockpit. Before that multi monitor setup. As others have said, never going back to 2D, despite som quirks with VR - As I hope will just become better as time goes by.

Intel i7-8700K 4.8Ghz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1080ti, Windblows 10, 512 SSD

Virpil MongoosT-50 base with TM Warthog Stick

TM Warthog Throttle

MFG Crosswind

HP Reverb G1

Whilst I don't fly planes a lot they are awesome to fly in VR but I see you have the Huey as I spend most (99.9%) of my Virtual stick time in helicopters all I can say is forget the neigh sayers accept that VR isn't perfect and just get immersed in flying.

:pilotfly:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

It is a very cool experience. But I usually go back to my monitor after a couple of days. The penalty is to high atm. Spotting is close to impossible. It eats fps like nothing else (especially at a higher PD), the new graphics engine with deferred shading introduce other issues like shimmering and aliasing. Colors are bland, runways tend to "melt" into the landscape. Ghosting, and sights that warble on the Spitfire, F15C radar dispay twitchy etc. Did I mention it can be a bit warm and sometimes a bit straining on the eyes aswell?

Don't get me wrong. VR is getting better and a helluva experience. If you got the rig and want to adopt early, it is still very immersive to use. But a bit impractical atm...

I would try to get it for cheap or wait for the next gen headsets :)

You need an eye test.

You need an eye test.
Why he needs it?

If in a flight club having a four top class PC for VR gives results that 8-9 of 10 will prefer a larger 4K display for various reasons, but yet knowledge the immersion of flying itself and being in cockpit but not being enough at all to compensate for negatives... Why it would make VR better, so other needs "to check his eyes"?

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I love to fly in from the only time i don’t is testing something out and I’m not there to fly but to test the equipment or software. I’ve been consistently flying the Huey in dcs but I’m going to try out the f-15c next while I’m waiting on my speedmaster flight.

Get the Gazelle man thank me later!

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

I have all the helos in dcs but I prefer the Huey myself

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.