2 fuel tank one on wing on centre configuration?

oscar19681

I seen Some pictures and footage of f-18,s that are configured with one tank on the wing pylon and one in the centre. Why? Weightwise this doesnt make sense at all l, esspecially since most of the Time all the other pylons are empty exept for sidewinders Sometimes. here, see for yourselfs (excellent footage btw)

Edited by oscar19681

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is called "Double Ugly"... If you look on the left fuselage mount, they have the ATFLIR pod mounted, that's generally why they go with this config, otherwise the external tank would get in the way of the ATFLIR pod.

VFA-113 | Stinger 307 | "Hank"

USN OEF OIF Veteran

i7-8700K OC'd 4800ghz | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC'd | 32gb RAM | 2.5TB SSD | Odyssey + | TM Warthog HOTAS |

This is called "Double Ugly"... If you look on the left fuselage mount, they have the ATFLIR pod mounted, that's generally why they go with this config, otherwise the external tank would get in the way of the ATFLIR pod.

Yeah i suspected the FLIR pod was quilty on this myself. But i reckoned the pod itself wouldnt be heavy enough to justify an unorthodox configutation like this one. Never thought it would be becuase external tank would Block the ATFLIR,s pod view. Makes Total sense now. Thanks for the quick awnser.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

But why not just use the centre pylon for the FLIR Pod and just have a double bubble? I know the centre pylon can be used for the ATFLIR. Ive seen USMC Hornet have one in the centre. I must confess though, i do like the double ugly configuration myself. Cant wait to give it a try in DCS when we get the ATFLIR

Edited by oscar19681

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't think the ATFLIR pod can be mounted in the center station... keep in mind the Marines use the LITENINGPod, not the ATFLIR pod..

VFA-113 | Stinger 307 | "Hank"

USN OEF OIF Veteran

i7-8700K OC'd 4800ghz | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC'd | 32gb RAM | 2.5TB SSD | Odyssey + | TM Warthog HOTAS |

Most configurations are asymmetrical because of ATFLIR it’s very heavy and you’ll definitely have to trim for it.

It's not that much heavier (420 lb) than an AMRAAM (335 lb) and quite close to the centreline though (according to wikipedia).

The effect of an emptying fuel tank on one wing seems like it would be much more of a trimming issue.

It's not that much heavier (420 lb) than an AMRAAM (335 lb) and quite close to the centreline though (according to wikipedia).

The effect of an emptying fuel tank on one wing seems like it would be much more of a trimming issue.

Its a big trimming issue. If you Read 11.1.8.2 in NATOPS under "High Speed Asymmetric FLIR Pod Handling Qualities." in section 11 flight characteristics. It talks about the roll off tendency created by the Pod.

The Asymmetrical placement of the Fuel Tanks on station 7 and 5 with the Pod on 4 Helps balance the overall Load assuming you've got stores on stations 3 and or 2. Then as you expend stores and Fuel it keeps it more or less balanced.

They also play around with only 1 Aim-9 on station 9 to help. However I misspoke Trv5150 is right, its more of a drag problem and less of a weight issue, My mistake. :)

Edited by Wizard_03

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

• 2 weeks later...
Is there a preference / reason for the ATFLIR to be mounted on the left fuselage rather than the right fuselage? e.g. wiring, etc.

Thanks.

So Necro post, I’m sorry :)

If your asking why the designers choose the left side I have no idea, but ATFLIR incorporates nav flir in the mounting support pylon for the pod itself and that pylon can’t be reversed. So it can only be mounted on 4 The wiring is the same on either side for the jet though.

But having a dedicated spot for it helps pilots remember where it is at all times for masking and maintaining LOS on your target. If it could switch sides that might throw some people.

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

So Necro post, I’m sorry :)

If your asking why the designers choose the left side I have no idea, but ATFLIR incorporates nav flir in the mounting support pylon for the pod itself and that pylon can’t be reversed. So it can only be mounted on 4 The wiring is the same on either side for the jet though.

But having a dedicated spot for it helps pilots remember where it is at all times for masking and maintaining LOS on your target. If it could switch sides that might throw some people.

Thank you.

What if we just stick the TGP inside the fuel tank? (actually it's an IRST pod)

Someone had a good and practical idea there. Reminds me of those rocket pod / drop tank things the French had for their M III even though that might bring some issues.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

In the RCAF, it's call ugly duck config. Yes the wiring is on the left side. There is connection on the right side, but that was for when the lasing system was a diffrent pod originaly. On the C model , i'm not sure.

Someone had a good and practical idea there. Reminds me of those rocket pod / drop tank things the French had for their M III even though that might bring some issues.

Only drawback of this approach is that now the fuel tank isn't considered an easily expendable item.

As ChuckJager said its so that the ATFLIR's view is not blocked by a fuel tank on that side. Also if you think about it if you put the pod on the center line and put a fuel tank on each wing you would loose a wing pylon (you would only have the outboard wing pylons), however by going "Double Ugly" as i believe they call it you can carry the same amount of fuel and have 3 available wing pylons rather than just 2.

Matt "Ship" Shipley

Virtual Carrier Air Wing 1 (VCVW-1)

VF-211 Checkmates