Taxi on the deck with hook down catches wire .. ?

majapahit

That's not supposed to happen? Or is it.

Thought hook with 3 wheels on the deck floats ~1/2 foot above deck?

(Remember to have seen a drawing of that somewhere, to explain critical α )

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

The hook will indeed go to the deck while all the wheels are down. This was part of preflight checks when I was in. I believe it just doesn't have the resistance (pressure?) to not skip horribly when it's in that state. I could very well be wrong about the reasoning, but the hook will indeed touch the deck while sitting there.

Sorry, no cool signature here.

Seems pretty much touching all the way down from that perspective, though is the hook in a proper angle to get cought by the wrire as taxing as MurderOne said, dunno., but in any cases i wouldn't anyways taxi with my hook down, when i move it simply goes up.

file.php?id=15487&sid=0bd79884bf60b537c807bf773a79a3f0&mode=view

The hook is absolutely fully extended with all 3 wheels on deck. In fact, the reason you get a red hook light with the hook down on deck is because the hook doesn’t match handle position; it can’t fully extend on deck. This ensures you can snag a wire ashore during an aborted takeoff.

In flight, with the hook down, the light extinguished when the hook is fully down and matches the handle position. Unless you exceed 450kts or so in which case air loads push the hook slightly aft and turn the light on until the aircraft decelerates below 450 again.

Wonder then why anyone would put in the effort to explain 'critical alpha' by actually making a kind of a CAD drawing showing the hook off and above the plane of wheels touching point.

I'll see if I can find the image and figure out what the idea behind that was. This is stupid.

(But thanks for the info)

Edited by majapahit

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

The hook is absolutely fully extended with all 3 wheels on deck. In fact, the reason you get a red hook light with the hook down on deck is because the hook doesn’t match handle position; it can’t fully extend on deck. This ensures you can snag a wire ashore during an aborted takeoff.

In flight, with the hook down, the light extinguished when the hook is fully down and matches the handle position. Unless you exceed 450kts or so in which case air loads push the hook slightly aft and turn the light on until the aircraft decelerates below 450 again.

" .. the reason you get a red hook light with the hook down on deck is because the hook doesn’t match handle position; it can’t fully extend on deck. This ensures you can snag a wire ashore during an aborted takeoff. .. "

I have no idea what you're saying here?

It's designed around the hook to deck. As you come down the heavy duty gear retracts at the same time you hit the wire, that's why on speed AOA is so important.

Look at how the hook is pretty much level with the main gear in the full extended or uncompressed position. It's basically trying to hold down the hook and drag it along the deck. The hook can move up and or bounce, they call that a hook slap when you AOA is to high and the hook hits hard first.

2048x1463

12bb14e09494bb7607d2eb7045b2f72b.jpg

You can see the hook here being pulled back off the deck by the cable.

0630_uss_george_washington_03_16x9.jpg?mw=1200&mh=675&as=1&hash=C8613BD3C40EF96A156CF9A934489245900E98CA

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Wonder then why anyone would put in the effort to explain 'critical alpha' by actually making a kind of a CAD drawing showing the hook off and above the plane of wheels touching point.

I'll see if I can find the image and figure out what the idea behind that was. This is stupid.

(But thanks for the info)

Because when the plane touches down the nose strut will compress from the impact initially to the main gear, then the nose, meaning the rear of the jet will extend higher, raising the hook off the deck causing a hook skip bolter.

" .. the reason you get a red hook light with the hook down on deck is because the hook doesn’t match handle position; it can’t fully extend on deck. This ensures you can snag a wire ashore during an aborted takeoff. .. "

There are contacts for both fully extended and fully stowed. On deck with the hook handle down and the plane heavy, you’ll get a hook light because the hook cannot extend fully down because the plane is compressed. If the hook handle was up but the unlock failed then you will get the same light. It doesn’t have anything to do with ensuring it can snag a wire on deck or an aborted takeoff, just that it can’t get fully down because the ground is in the way.

The hook does actually hit the ground when the pilot does his checks, besides you don't taxi with the hook down on the deck or ground ops

The hook does actually hit the ground when the pilot does his checks, besides you don't taxi with the hook down on the deck or ground ops

Was checking the visuals of the no3-wire on the Stenis,

i.c. by the way is the big antenna cum radar structure ahead of the bridge island.

Edited by majapahit

Because when the plane touches down the nose strut will compress from the impact initially to the main gear, then the nose, meaning the rear of the jet will extend higher, raising the hook off the deck causing a hook skip bolter.

Ah, that's the explanation, always was under the impressing the manuals were describing a bouncing of the hook on the deck if landing on the deck with a wrong alpha. Tss.

This explains things way different by the way, for me.

As a matter of fact I was already wondering why I could catch the wire by cutting throttle, if need be, drop like a brick, and trap succesful ... :) , I just thought I had found myself a loophole, pfffff ..

There are contacts for both fully extended and fully stowed. On deck with the hook handle down and the plane heavy, you’ll get a hook light because the hook cannot extend fully down because the plane is compressed. If the hook handle was up but the unlock failed then you will get the same light. It doesn’t have anything to do with ensuring it can snag a wire on deck or an aborted takeoff, just that it can’t get fully down because the ground is in the way.

Then, when prepping to land and you have a hook light this could indicate some sort of hook failure .. (if DCS .. )

Alpha is important on landing because the “ball” shows the pilot his glideslope relative to the hook position. So in the F-18C, the pilots eye is 16.35’ above the hook, so the “centered ball” is 16.35, above the #3 wire. This is called “hook to eye” and is different for different aircraft. Hawkeyes are 15’, Rhinos 17.15’.

The takeaway is that if you are slow, your hook to eye value increases because the airplane is cocked up, so even though you’re seeing a centered ball, your hook is closer to hitting the back of the ship. Conversly, if fast, you can bolter with a centered ball, because at a higher speed (and therefore less alpha) your actual hook to eye value is less than the assumed 16.35’ and your hook goes over all the wires.

the answer is not to taxi on the deck with the hook down :)

part of your procedure should be to put the hook straight up once the cable has been retracted

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

The only time I have EVER seen a hook on the deck (outside of landing) was during pre-flight checks OR Hydraulic failure (Which use to indicate failure of braking system as well).

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Your original question has been answered a few times already, if you taxi with the hook down on the deck(which you shouldn't taxi with the hook down in any case) will obviously catch the wire since the hook when lowered touches the ground or deck.

not talking to you

your comment appreciated

That's not supposed to happen? Or is it.

Yes it is...

It's the exact reason why you never taxi on deck with the hook lowered.

Mystery over ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

Question asked and answered. After that a thread can take any direction all the participants see fit. This isn’t your house.

tsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss, you even read the thread?

Edited by majapahit

tsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss, you even read the thread?

I think what he meant is, if you ask a question about doing something non-sens and obvious, don't expect all answers to be what you expect to be. Like that guy once a while ago in an old thread, coming up with the fact he landed in a field at 400 kias or so... things turn out in, why in hell did he ever came up with the stupid idea to try this out....

I think what he meant is, if you ask a question about doing something non-sens and obvious, don't expect all answers to be what you expect to be. Like that guy once a while ago in an old thread, coming up with the fact he landed in a field at 400 kias or so... things turn out in, why in hell did he ever came up with the stupid idea to try this out....

So no one reads threads .. ? Or just some

What does critical alpha or alpha mean?

AOA