Auto Rudder Control

FlyBoyd

So I noticed this the other day when i was defensive against SAMs but has anyone else noticed that when you are in a High G turn then roll out to pull up your rudders also move?

When I do this I get quite a bit of side to side movement at slower air-speeds after rolling out. Granted my rudder control is on my flight stick as I do not have rudder pedals at my current location, but I made sure there was enough of a dead zone so that I was not inadvertently moving the rudders during high G defensive maneuvers.

Can anyone provide some help on this? Does the Hornet have auto control of the flaps with the ailerons at slower air-speeds?

Anyone else seen this?

Intel I9-9900k, Gigabyte AORUS Ultra, 64GB G.SKILL Trident Z Royal 3200, EVGA 2080Ti, Samsung M.2 960 Pro 512, Samsung M.2 960 Pro 1TB, MCG, Vipril, TM Controls, SLAW device rudders, Obutto Revolution, Valve Index

That is part of what CAS does, it coordinates the turns. Yes, it is designed to input rudder commands depending on the situation.

When you start getting technical, you start talking aileron/rudder interconnect, etc.

Is this a function of airspeed? I have a hard time believing that coordination is needed at higher airspeeds, but this is where I am not familiar with the flight model of the Hornet.

Intel I9-9900k, Gigabyte AORUS Ultra, 64GB G.SKILL Trident Z Royal 3200, EVGA 2080Ti, Samsung M.2 960 Pro 512, Samsung M.2 960 Pro 1TB, MCG, Vipril, TM Controls, SLAW device rudders, Obutto Revolution, Valve Index

It's a fly-by-wire aircraft, so you don't have direct control over ANY of the control surfaces.

Especially at low speed and high AOA it will be moving lots of things at once to try and give you what you command with the stick/rudders.

It's a fly-by-wire aircraft, so you don't have direct control over ANY of the control surfaces.

Especially at low speed and high AOA it will be moving lots of things at once to try and give you what you command with the stick/rudders.

Not entirely true. They are not true fly-by-wire, there are still cables in the system. So while the primary system is CAS, there is still the ability to move surfaces as long as there is hydraulic pressure.

Is this a function of airspeed? I have a hard time believing that coordination is needed at higher airspeeds, but this is where I am not familiar with the flight model of the Hornet.

Coordination is always needed...just not directly input by the pilot.

Function of a few different things. Pilot puts the stick where he wants it, the computer does the math to figure out what control surfaces to move. In the case of roll and rudder inputs, some of that is hydro/mechanical.

Coordination is always needed...just not directly input by the pilot.

Function of a few different things. Pilot puts the stick where he wants it, the computer does the math to figure out what control surfaces to move. In the case of roll and rudder inputs, some of that is hydro/mechanical.

I guess my next question would be then is there a way to know when the system wont require rudder? I've never flown in a hornet but assuming you keep your feet off the pedals and you roll there has to be a point where that roll is going to be strictly aileron and no rudder. I wonder if it is maybe also caused by releasing back stick pressure in a high g turn and then inducing roll input before the elevators have a chance to get back to true zero?

I appreciate all the input gents!

I'm going to hit up Lex and see if he has an answer as a former hornet driver.