Looking to build my first PC for DCS with VR

Looks like a solid build. Only thing I would suggest changing is the air cooler to a Noctua. The DH-D15 is widely considered the standard by which air coolers are rated. Even better would be a Corsair AIO. You'd get more OC headroom for your CPU. Pushing that 9600K up to 5.0 GHz will closely match a 9700K/9900K in DCS.

Things to consider if you can afford it. Get a 1 TB NVMe or SATA SSD and wait on the platter hard drive if you need it for storage. Easy to add later. And a better power supply. It might be better to drop to 650w and get higher quality/efficiency for about the same price. EVGA is a reputable brand so good choice there.

Cannot reccomend VR enough - it totally changes the game and their is literally no going back. I have a really nice 4k monitor and never use it these days.

You didn't mention what headset and this may depend on what you do with your rig setup? Would recommend re price point and visuals / software integration the Rift S. However if you had set aside a larger budget for a headset (no visual difference with Vive Pro as far as i can see to be honest and not the price gap perspective) then i would look to put another £140 spend into the CPU for the i7 9700k (overclocks nicely across to all cores to 5Ghz but gives you more performance without OC).

If you want to overclock CPU i would go all in one liquid cooler, decent one another £35/40 but worth it.

Good choice with Ram. £2Gb vital for multiplayer VR these days, if your SP you can get away with 16Gb.

Good choice with m2 i was amazed when i first got one how much better they make the performance - super fast. Also set up a pagefile on the m2 with a decent size (16gb).

Now for the bad news, i wouldn't like to run VR in DCS at the moment on anything below a 2080. I say this as for me running MSAAx2 and a IPD of 1.5 is important to me for visual clarity. Big difference if i take this off in terms of visuals. This is the one thing i cannot stress enough VR needs monster graphics cards in DCS especially 2.5.6 since the night lighting (and memory leaks) came into the OB. Granted this will set you back another £250 however i cannot stress enough that you will get alot more performance with the 2080 Super (EVGA 2080 super XC £720).

It depends how much of a primary hobby gaming will be to be honest. IF its something you spend alot of time in then it may be worth spending a little more in the short term.

Edited by Hawkeye_UK

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

Looks like a solid build. Only thing I would suggest changing is the air cooler to a Noctua. The DH-D15 is widely considered the standard by which air coolers are rated. Even better would be a Corsair AIO. You'd get more OC headroom for your CPU. Pushing that 9600K up to 5.0 GHz will closely match a 9700K/9900K in DCS.

Things to consider if you can afford it. Get a 1 TB NVMe or SATA SSD and wait on the platter hard drive if you need it for storage. Easy to add later. And a better power supply. It might be better to drop to 650w and get higher quality/efficiency for about the same price. EVGA is a reputable brand so good choice there.

Thanks for the feedback i saw the Noctua NH-D15S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler or a corsair h60 ... for the price those are ok?

1tb m.2 or split m.2 and sata say 500 each ?

with the psu what do you look for in quality / efficiency?

thanks again !

Cannot reccomend VR enough - it totally changes the game and their is literally no going back. I have a really nice 4k monitor and never use it these days.

You didn't mention what headset and this may depend on what you do with your rig setup? Would recommend re price point and visuals / software integration the Rift S. However if you had set aside a larger budget for a headset (no visual difference with Vive Pro as far as i can see to be honest and not the price gap perspective) then i would look to put another £140 spend into the CPU for the i7 9700k (overclocks nicely across to all cores to 5Ghz but gives you more performance without OC).

If you want to overclock CPU i would go all in one liquid cooler, decent one another £35/40 but worth it.

Good choice with Ram. £2Gb vital for multiplayer VR these days, if your SP you can get away with 16Gb.

Good choice with m2 i was amazed when i first got one how much better they make the performance - super fast. Also set up a pagefile on the m2 with a decent size (16gb).

Now for the bad news, i wouldn't like to run VR in DCS at the moment on anything below a 2080. I say this as for me running MSAAx2 and a IPD of 1.5 is important to me for visual clarity. Big difference if i take this off in terms of visuals. This is the one thing i cannot stress enough VR needs monster graphics cards in DCS especially 2.5.6 since the night lighting (and memory leaks) came into the OB. Granted this will set you back another £250 however i cannot stress enough that you will get alot more performance with the 2080 Super (EVGA 2080 super XC £720).

It depends how much of a primary hobby gaming will be to be honest. IF its something you spend alot of time in then it may be worth spending a little more in the short term.

Cheers for the advice, i did state it would be the OC rift s, my budget for just the pc was 1000 but pushed that up to 1300. i dont have to have vr right away but it was the thing i really wanted in a flight sim since....i dont know , i was 13 playing falcon on the Amiga hahaa !

just watching a youtube clip with someone running a R 2600x and a 2070s and fair enough they're averaging 25-30fps but it looks decent.... the i5 9600k is a faster chip and i think everyones waiting for ED to optimise dcs VR ...

lol god knows how i missed the bottom line of your post was too busy looking at the specs.

All i will say is DCS in VR is amazing it totally transforms the experience. I remember the 1200 well lol think we are similar ages, no doubt you where enjoying later, Janes F15, F18 and then the mecca that was Falcon 4. Crazy to think that campaign ran on the system specs it did, 16mb graphics cards, 266mhz Pentium, credit to how well the ai code was written at the time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

Never had the 64, i had the 16 still remember the Novaload boot up for games, from the tape player. Crazy thing is i still have it at my parents house in the antic all boxed up - not quite an apple 1 lol but certainly now retro.....

DCS & BMS

Are you new to DCS and getting back into flight sims again after an absence, if so your in for a treat!!

DCS & BMS

Never had the 64, i had the 16 still remember the Novaload boot up for games, from the tape player. Crazy thing is i still have it at my parents house in the antic all boxed up - not quite an apple 1 lol but certainly now retro.....

ok i DID have a c16 actually !! yep loading games .... fire ant, novaload ... i forget the names now.. hahaha

now we're talking about £1000 cpu .... :D

Are you new to DCS and getting back into flight sims again after an absence, if so your in for a treat!!

Yeah it's been a while I've only been gaming on consoles really. i remember there was an afterburner type arcade game that used VR a while ago ... :megalol:

Never really wanted to get Ace combat as i prefer more Sim less shoot em up but a few months ago i was tempted to get ps VR and ace combat just to have the experience and to let my dad try it out (he always wanted to be a pilot too funnily enough)

i saw the Noctua NH-D15S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler or a corsair h60 ... for the price those are ok?

If you're tempted towards overclocking the CPU I'd advise either the dual-fan NH-D15 or, if clearance is an issue, a top-mounted 240mm AIO like the Corsair H100i Pro. Mine copes okay with the 9900K @5GHz even when folding@Home, keeping temps <85C. The ML fans aren't too loud either... the GPU fans going full-chat easily drown them out! :lol:

1tb m.2 or split m.2 and sata say 500 each ?

I'd advocate a discrete SSD for DCS. I use a 500GB M.2 as my system volume (as this is a multi-purpose system) and a 500GB SATA for DCS. If you're building for DCS-only then perhaps the reverse would be of benefit.

Don't omit the spinning rust. Platter drives are slow, but great for storage and they're cheap. Don't waste those SSD write cycles. ;)

with the psu what do you look for in quality / efficiency?

Most importantly, power output... what do you need? 750W is more than sufficient for your proposed build, but the efficiency rating (80+ Bronze/Silver/Gold etc) also plays a part. For a similar cost you may be able to spec a good 650W 80+ Gold PSU that will provide better power delivery and a longer warranty.

i9-9900K @5GHz, Z390 Aorus Pro, 32GB DDR4-3200MHz, EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Seasonic Focus+ Platinum 850W PSU, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pro pedals, 2x MFD's, MT deskmounts, Asus 32" 1440p display, EDTracker Pro Wireless, HP Reverb

i was thinking to go with just a 500gb m.2 and pick up another 500gb ssd when needed...but now maybe adding the 2tb 3.5"

My advice, fwiw, would be to downsize the HDD to 1TB and add a second 500GB SSD. If it's purely for DCS then install that on the M.2, put Windows on the SATA SSD, and use the spinning rust for everything else. It'll cost a bit more but the performance improvement will be worth it vs everything on a single larger volume.

i9-9900K @5GHz, Z390 Aorus Pro, 32GB DDR4-3200MHz, EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Seasonic Focus+ Platinum 850W PSU, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pro pedals, 2x MFD's, MT deskmounts, Asus 32" 1440p display, EDTracker Pro Wireless, HP Reverb

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that you'd be better off going with at least 1Tb in one NVMe, rather than two 500Gb NVMe's. If down the road you want more things on this type of drive, you can always add a second NVMe that's either 1 or 2 TB, and you won't have that 500Gb one collecting dust. I've got two 1Tb ones, and I wish that I had just gotten a 2Tb one instead. It would be great to have all my games and OS on these drives. There's also the fact that these perform better and last longer if they're not packed to the rafters.

Asus ROG Maximus X Hero MB

Intel i7-8700K 5.2 GHz delidded & lapped

Corsair H100i CPU watercooler

EVGA SuperNOVA 1200W P2 80+ Platinum PSU

EVGA FTW3 watercooled GTX-1080Ti

32GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM

Two Toshiba XG5 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD's

Various SSDs and HDDs, 24 terabytes

6 Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM fans in push/pull on CPU and GPU radiators.

Windows 10 Pro 64, Oculus Rift CV1, TM Warthog throttle and flight stick.