Is it possible to convert AOA units to degrees ?

Bacab

Hi,

I'm currently learning how to fly the F-5E and I would like to know (out of curiosity) what is the link between the AOA units displayed by the AOA indicator and the real AOA in degrees.

Thank you very much for you help.

I would be interested to know this as well. Until Bacab's post, I just assumed the units were in degrees. From the manual: "The indicator shows the value of the angle-of-attack in units from 0 to 30. Units are a corrected AOA value and differ from real AOA degrees."

A Google search shows this is not the first time this question has been addressed:

You can work it out using the info bar. Left Ctrl Y will bring it up in the cockpit and show you AoA in degrees.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

The units are a simplified way to present critical information to the pilot. It's a lot easier to read something like 15 units on the analog gauge than to try and read (for argument's sake) 25.21 degrees. Its a simplified scale.

Right. It may be interesting to know how they relate from an academic standpoint but it has nothing to do with flying because all the manuals and training are based off the cockpit gauge.

This is exactly why I asked the question: just to learn more about the plane, indeed you don't need it to fly but it's always good to know how things are done.

I thank everyone for their replies even if the question has not been answered.