Getting better at dogfighting - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-18-2020, 10:22 PM   #11
rinkerbuck

It's good for testing your skills but usually becomes a stalemate so gets old fast.
rinkerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:28 PM   #12
Pikey
Veteran

There's only one way to practically improve. Get a human of better knowledge and skill, get Tacview installed and learn it and fight him. You can read all you want, but you will only learn how to read and not apply the lesson. Application of theory is where the make or break happens. I love how folks ramble off links to Shaw's or P-1289 and that's their only advice. Personally I think P-1289 is far better as an instruction set with specific guided training that goes in logical order: i.e. snapshot drills come BEFORE rolling scissors and the Perch only makes sense once you understand the concept of the bubble (but ilustrates it beautifully). It's had years of maturity over Shaw's, doesn't ramble and introduces the training you require to DO, to improve the skills.

The truth is, the AI in DCS is not flying within the laws of physics. The sooner you give up on calling that a training aid, the better. They will lead you into vertical fights you cannot compete with, whilst being complete dumbasses with repetivive routines that can be cheesed and then once you learn how to cheese AI, what is the actual point? 1 on 1 the head on neutral merge, the AI is gameplan high in the same direction. You can actually practice a non cheesed method of anticipating that and I've beaten a Su-27 in 180 degrees by a whopping 90 degrees just by anticipating the exact place I know the AI will go.

Give me a player and I have no idea. And he uses the same physics that the module has. It's not only fair, you get to practice faster, learn more, get feedback during, and post fight, and have a laugh engaging with someone human.

And FWIW I've read it all, written it into training for players and I'm terrible in my skill, spatial understanding and reading my own and the bandits relative energy states. I spend my energy like a 1990's hedge fund millionaire spends on hookers and coke. But I know what I know.
Pikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:43 PM   #13
Brigg

Well said Pikey
Brigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 04:58 PM   #14
HoneyViper

Pikey - is this the P-1289 you're taking about? I'd never heard about it until I read your post but I'm checking it out now. I see it's for a training varient of the Hawk, but I assume it's useful for all basic fighters?
HoneyViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 05:12 PM   #15
DW2020

It's all about practise mate! U will crash and burn many many times but bit by bit U will learn what to do and what not to do.
DW2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:40 AM   #16
Tomcatter87

Things that helped me to get better in the F-5: Be careful with your speed and dont pull too hard. Once you're slow, it's hard to regain that energy with a MiG on your six. Also with high AOA, use rudder to roll, that way you'll bleed less speed.

If you're up against AI, dont follow the enemy plane into the vertical. Youll just end up stalling. Instead follow him in lag pursuit, turn in the horizontal plane, and then roll in behind him as he comes down again.

I also set the flap settings to my Warthog throttle boat switch. Aft is set to flaps auto, forward is set to flaps up. That way I can easily switch between fast(er) acceleration vs. better turning performance.

If you're defensive, use the F-5s nice roll rate for a scissors maneuver and force him to overshoot. Theres a button for turning off the roll limitation on the stick, I bound that one too on my joystick.
Setup: TM Warthog & Throttle | Arozzi Velocita Stand | MFG Crosswind Pedals | Cougar MFDs | VRInsight Tact&Toggle Switch Panel | JetSeat KW-908 | TrackIR
Tomcatter87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:20 AM   #17
r4y30n

Default Getting better at dogfighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcatter87 View Post
Also with high AOA, use rudder to roll, that way you'll bleed less speed.
I know it’s recommended to prevent roll reversal at high AoA, I hadn’t heard it’s a more efficient way to turn...
r4y30n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:53 PM   #18
Tomcatter87

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4y30n View Post
I know it’s recommended to prevent roll reversal at high AoA, I hadn’t heard it’s a more efficient way to turn...
Only indirectly, as far as I understand. You'd lose more speed if you rolled with only the stick in high AOA situations.
Setup: TM Warthog & Throttle | Arozzi Velocita Stand | MFG Crosswind Pedals | Cougar MFDs | VRInsight Tact&Toggle Switch Panel | JetSeat KW-908 | TrackIR
Tomcatter87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:04 AM   #19
HoneyViper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Big.”Biggs” View Post
Jump with both feet into the Just Dogfight server stable. Log in fly, get shot down, evaluate, repeat.
Its an air start so you can go again and again without delay or offending others. Don’t let the harsh “eat your young” vibe of some folks on the forums scare ya. It’s a very friendly accepting digital airspace out there.
Regards
Gave Just Dogfight a try for the first time today - got smashed in my little F-5E against the more advanced plane but had a blast! Thanks for the tip.
HoneyViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:23 PM   #20
Shmal

First main rule to fight succesfully is to maintain effective speed in turn! Any maneuver is a turn or part of a turn! Thats why you have to stay in turn on speed 260 - 550 knots! Dont loose it in fight with MiGs and you will win!

My callsign on DCS is: _SkyRider_
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGd..._as=subscriber

Last edited by Shmal; 04-01-2020 at 10:41 AM.
Shmal is offline   Reply With Quote