Need opinions! Hop up TM Cougar or go Warthog or other?

I busted the metal gimbal in my Cougar.

Wondering which of the following I should do:

FSSB is the limit for spending.

What would you do?

What would you do?

I would try the plastic gimbals first, provided I could get all the parts for less than US$150 .. if it costs more than that, I would go with a Warthog.

I doubt that the Cougar's TQS would be compatible with the VirPil stick, as it uses a special connector.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I agree with Icebeat

FSSB R3 if you care about the F16 coming later this year or if you want a moving stick go with Virpil.

I have the Virpil T50 base with a cougar stick and it is perfect.

The only thing is Virpil don't produce anymore the T50 base if I well remember but a new one..

The cougar TQS can be made stand alone with the realsimulator Tusba

Edited by gianlu320

Why not a FSSB R3? I have one and I love it plus in preparation for the new F-16 module, it is a must.

Isn't that model only for the TM Warthog?

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

On realsimulator forum there are threads reporting the cougar works with the FSSB R3

I haven't tried myself but I'm planning to do just this for the DCS F16 module

Interesting. I was a bit confused about this too, and had assumed I could not use the Cougar with R3. Maybe only R2 supports the Cougar throttle coupled with the stick vs throttle converted to USB/stand alone? I have an inquiry to the realsimulator guys.

Great input, thanks guys! smile.gif

I would buy a VPC WarBRD base and keep the cougar grip.

I actually use the VPC T50 base with the TM WH grip and it's perfect.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Isn't that model only for the TM Warthog?

I have an FSSB R3 Warthog, and both a Cougar and Warthog grip. Both grips work fine on the R3, not to mention, I imagine you'll find easier mounting solutions with the R3 over the R2..

i9 12900k @ 4.9ghz, 32gb RAM

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v1

I have an FSSB R3 Warthog, and both a Cougar and Warthog grip. Both grips work fine on the R3, not to mention, I imagine you'll find easier mounting solutions with the R3 over the R2..

I watched the install video for the R3 and it replaces the entire base, vs the R2, which integrates with the existing electronics of the cougar. It seems like I'd just need to convert the throttle to USB using the TUSBA adapter that realsimulator also sells, then I can use the standalone R3 base with the cougar grip. Sound right? I have yet to get a response from realsimulator, are they still in business? Can you still use Foxy or TARGET with the R3 base? Do you have to switch to using DX key file assignment? Have you had any complications with using two separate USB device for HOTAS?

edit: ok, I see that if you take out the Thrustmaster control board and use the TUBSA or standalone stick base circuit board from realsimulator you will loose the Thrustmaster programming options. Has anyone used it this way and did you find it too limiting?

ave-

Edited by crazyave

It is true, you’ll lose Target compatibility with the R3. The TUSBA will not be compatible with Target, and the Realsimulator PCB in the R3 is not compatible. The only way to maintain compatibility with both would be to maintain the Cougar stick base as a bridge for the throttle, and order a Warthog stick PCB direct through Thrustmaster customer support to be install in the R3 base.

Personally, I have only used the shift function in Target, which is available in DCS on its own, so I’ve never missed Target since ditching it.

i9 12900k @ 4.9ghz, 32gb RAM

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v1

What are the major benefits of R3 over R2?

E.g. you could have gone with just the R2 and saved some money, plus kept the Target functionality.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!