Introducing the VPC MongoosT-50

Cyph3r

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Vivoune, none have been sent out yet, but we are going to be sending out review units!

If anyone has any preference for any particular reviewers please let me know!

Ralfidude by far!

Pretty much the only hardware reviewer I take seriously :)

Ralfidude by far!

Pretty much the only hardware reviewer I take seriously :)

I second this!!! his joystick reviews are absolutely excellent.

Come fly with me, lets fly, lets fly away! -Sinatra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Specs: Lenovo Y50 with GTX 860m (2GB), i7 4700HQ 2.4GHz, 8GB Ram. Corsair K70(MX Blues are awesome!), Benq GW2760HS monitor, Steelseries V3 Prism headset, TM Warthog Hotas, Sidewinder FFB2 W/ FLCS grip, CH Pro pedals, TrackIR5, KW-908 Jetseat

This thing is looking really good. I already have a Gunfighter on order, but may have to grab this with the center mount as well. Really like the looks of it.

Nothing wrong with having a couple quality joysticks I guess...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

IT wobbles and moves very nicely.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

In response to those curious about the stability of the VPC Desk Bracket:

A lot of people have asked questions about the rigidity of the VPC Desk Bracket and wanted to be shown how viable the design is.

Well I'll show you.

To complicate the experiment, the following was done:

• The extension length used is 520mm - 90mm more than the recommended maximum length.
  • The desk used is 15mm thick - 5mm less than the minimum recommended thickness.
  • The base used is lowered 25mm below the minimum recommended height which reduces the stiffness of the structure.
  • Solid boards added underneath the clamping surface, which again reduces the stiffness of the structure.

The total weight of this set up is 3.8 kg, and still, as you can see, the results are very good. The strength of the VPC Desk Bracket design means that the weak link is the computer desk! Watch and judge for yourself!

► Website: www.virpil.com // ► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VirPilControls // ► Twitter: https://twitter.com/VirPilControls

For support please email support@virpil.com to open a ticket!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looking pretty good to me!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Wow, impressive. If I ever had a someone do that to my controls I would whack them and kick their butt out my house never to return again. I am more impressed that the jstick base is so tough as well. I think my TM Hog would snap with half that force applied. :joystick:

Now even more eager to get my pre-order filled. Still waiting on next steps after production delay message.

VPC MongoosT-50 – First Impression/Overview

Introduction

Hi all, as some of you may (or may not know), I have done quite a few reviews – The TM Warthog, Saitek X52 & X56, VKB Black Mamba Mk.III, BRD F3 Pedals etc. Today I'm going to be giving you an overview/first impression of the VPC MongoosT-50 and accessories – the new kid on the block.

I will begin by saying that, of course as a member of the VPC team, any review from myself would be weighted more to the biased end of the scale, so am I writing this strictly as an overview/first impression rather than a review, which are of course, still from my own personal experience with the products!

We have reached out to some other reviewers to provide you guys with high quality, unbiased reviews! If you have any particular preferences on who you want to see review VPC products, please message me to let me know!

The VPC MongoosT-50 Grip – From Russia with Love

83wDo8dh.jpg

So, the VPC MongoosT-50 (VPC MT-50) grip is based off the grip found in the Russian T-50 (PAK-FA) fighter jet. It is made from a composite moulded plastic, which provides a great in-hand feeling. It is not too light, nor does it have the “hollow” or “brittle” feeling of some other plastic grips available. Overall it is very solid with no creaking or flex in the body.

qxql8xEh.jpg

Physically the VPC MT-50 is quite an intimidating grip, it is larger (taller) than most other grips available. This emphasizes the fact that the VPC MT-50 is aimed squarely at the professional flightsim audience who will be centre mounting the stick either with the VPC Desk Bracket or some other cockpit mount. It would be very impractical to use it as a desktop joystick!

The grip is packed with a huge variety of controls, these include:

• Dual-stage Trigger
  • Folding Trigger
  • 5 Buttons
  • Three 4-way Hats (1x 8-way POV)
  • One 2-way Switch
  • Analogue Brake Lever

This should ensure you have enough controls on hand to map pretty much any aircraft (or spacecraft) to this grip!

The VPC MT-50 grip uses high quality OMRON switches, so all the buttons, hats, switches and triggers have excellent tactile feedback and are a joy to press. The dual-stage primary trigger is excellently configured, with the actuation points and tension of the first and second stages exactly where you'd want them. Comparing to this to the dual stage trigger on the TM Warthog for example, which is another great grip, I find that the TMW dual stage trigger has 2 flaws, first being that the spring force is a bit too heavy, and secondly the second stage actuation point is far later in the travel range than I'd like. This means when using the TMW second stage for something like cannons in IL2, you can end up disrupting your aim due to the force required to activate (and hold) it and it can prove to be uncomfortable in long dogfights.

sCNk6a6h.jpg

The folding/flip-up trigger is an interesting addition – no other consumer sticks offer this control. Depending on what your situation, preferences or particular aircraft calls for, it can be mapped to a number of incredibly useful functions. This trigger is also rotated slightly to allow it to be used very comfortably and of course, can be flipped up out of the way when it's not needed.

FspToIEh.jpg

The analogue brake lever is another interesting addition as again, no other consumer joystick has this control, the closest comparison is the pinkie paddle switch on the TM Warthog grip. As the name implies it is used for the wheel brakes on Russian planes, however this can be mapped to a wide range of different functions depending on what the situation calls for. It is primarily intended to be used as an axis but it can be also be used to report a button press.

Moving further down the stick you will find the adjustable wrist-rest. There is a threaded dial/wheel which can be rotated to raise or lower the wrist rest. There is a large range of adjustment which would account for most hand sizes, for those with larger hands the wrist-rest platform can be removed entirely and the base will function perfectly as wrist rest. The wrist-rest is very well executed, it is entirely necessary on a stick of this nature and the platform itself is quite large so it supports the hand and wrist very well.

N1huqIih.jpg

At the bottom of the grip body, it is adorned with an aluminium serial number plate, with the VPC logo, the model name, and the serial number of your copy.

NnZznVlh.jpg

Finally, there is the grip connector. The VPC MT-50 uses a Mini DIN 5 Pin to connect to the base and includes a very nice metal screw collar. What I really like about this grip connector is that it is completely tool-less, and you can rotate the grip to whatever offset you want very easily. Plug in the connector, set your rotation offset, and hand tighten the collar. It's very secure and couldn't be simpler!

AccoCtth.jpg

Currently the VPC MT-50 grip can be connected to either the VPC MT-50 base, or the TM Warthog base. Both are simply just a case of plugging in the connector, set your rotation offset, and tighten the collar!

Overall, I'm very happy with the grip. It's solid, it's got OMRON switches, it's very flexible and just loaded with features.

The VPC MongoosT-50 Base & Mechanics

The gimbal/mechanics of a joystick base are perhaps one of the most important deciding factors between a good flightstick and a bad flightstick. Not too far in the past, pretty much your only was mainstream joystick manufacturers who had pretty uninspiring gimbal designs. Fast forward today though and there a small collection of boutique joystick manufacturers producing some interesting and well liked gimbal designs. Thankfully I can say that VPC is no different, entering the market with their very own interesting (and I'm sure will be well liked!) gimbal design.

w4qjpq2h.jpg

XnA0qZyh.jpg

4GM4sLUh.jpg

As is all the craze nowadays, cam gimbals rule the roost, and rightly so! The VPC MT-50 mechanics also revolve around a cam based gimbal, with user interchangeable cams. The available profiles include:

• No centre
  • Soft centre
  • Hard centre

pFoQc0th.jpg

3DZJ7Goh.jpg

However, the extra interesting thing about the VPC MT-50 base is it’s loading mechanism. Each axis’ cam loads a lever arm with a coaxially mounted compression spring for resistance rather than the more commonly found tension spring. The large mechanical lever and the use of compression springs means you have an unprecedented level of control and accuracy with the VPC MT-50 base. This is especially apparent when using an extension, the VPC MT-50 gimbal is incredibly stable even when using the longest of extensions. Again, this is another feature that emphasizes that this joystick is aimed specifically towards to the pro flightsim community.

laxpBZ9h.jpg

Continuing the theme of ultimate adjustability, it is also possible to tailor the spring tension exactly to your liking. You’re not limited to a small selection of different springs, instead you can adjust the spring tension in very small increments via the top access ports on the MT-50 base with a standard screw driver. This gives you complete control of the exact tension you desire on both the pitch and roll axes separately! Even better, you do not have to open up the unit to adjust this, swap out any pieces, or anything like that, it can be done on the fly in seconds! This is great if you want to try various different settings, or if you like different tension settings for different aircraft.

Of course, the VPC MT-50 base is also compatible with the TM Warthog grip.

Physically the VPC MT-50 base is not too different to other bases available, marginally larger, but that is mostly in height. Considering the size of the internal mechanics and the advantages this offers – especially compared to other gimbals available today, the outside dimensions are deceivingly compact!

VPC Extras – Desk Bracket & Extensions

1bDat1Oh.jpg

Alongside the VPC MT-50, there is the VPC Desk Bracket. This bracket aims to bring a cockpit like – centre mounted stick experience to everyone. It will mount to pretty much any desk with a thickness between 2cm and 6cm. Once again as with the VPC MT-50 itself, the VPC Desk Bracket is very adjustable to suit you exactly as you need it. The height drop from the desk can be adjusted from a ~36cm drop up to a ~12cm drop.

vaHWl2Bh.jpg

30n4wS5h.jpg

The VPC Desk Bracket is also compatible with other joysticks, initially offering mounting plates for the TM Warthog base and throttle. VPC will be actively considering all requests for mounting plates for other popular joysticks.

HURvyEVh.jpg

Ji1oYLhh.jpg

An additional benefit of the VPC Desk Bracket I’ve found is that it is very good for routing your cables from the control neatly onto your desk. I believe the VPC Desk Bracket is something that has been hugely overdue for the flightsim community, a strong, adjustable centre-stick (and throttle) mount at a great price!

UR56IjQh.jpg

EygHxush.jpg

Finally, we have the VPC Extensions. These are full metal extensions, with lengths of 50mm/75mm/100mm. They’re incredibly strong as you’d expect from the full metal construction, and they can also be combined to create new sizes of 125mm/150mm/175mm/225mm.

For connecting the grip to the base, there is a loose cable extension, available in 3 different sizes to allow all the possible extension sizes. The cable extension is loose because of the ability to see whatever rotation offset you desire! Again, these do exactly what you’d expect and they do it well. The VPC Extensions are compatible with the VPC MT-50 Grip & Base, TM Warthog Grip & Base and any combination of these!

Edited by Cyph3r

► Website: www.virpil.com // ► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VirPilControls // ► Twitter: https://twitter.com/VirPilControls

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looking very impressive Cyph3r !

Thanks for sharing.

Don B

Awesome, thank you for this detailed overview and all the nice pictures. I might part with my warthog joystick sooner than I thought.

Does Virpil deliver to Europe? Is the end of March still the target for new orders?

Could you tell us a bit more about the base feel? Does both axis blend and transition smoothly or do you feel both axis distinctively?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I believe I see two of the 4 way hats, the other two look like 2 way switches. Is one of them actually the third 4 way hat?

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

Beautiful photos and devices! Congratz to the team! Everything looks great.

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

On a side note - the choice of using the same DIN connector as the Warthog is a very intelligent move. It means I can use a Virpil base for my main rig, and swap stick depending on the game, and shift my Warthog base to my secondary gaming rig, and add a second T-50 stick. This does make decision making easier...

Z...

Great overview (with some very welcome specifics), and the product looks great too!

I'm eager to replace my TM WH joystick base and this just looks right, especially as it requires no surgery for putting an electronic adapter into the TM WH grip! I might also buy the T-50 grip, but the base is priority 1 (big one!).

I use the desk mounts from Monstertech (Germany); and if necessary I will drill some new holes in the mounting plate for the TM WH stick to accommodate the T-50 base. (It would be even better if the T-50 base had its holes in the same places as the TM WH base.)

Just one little suggestion: There is a fairly large opening in the TM-50 base around the stick, which will allow dust to enter the base and over time this may become a problem. A bellow (like on the VKB Gladiator Pro), or simple dust cover (similar to the one that that comes from Monstertech), would be welcome!

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Awesome, thank you for this detailed overview and all the nice pictures. I might part with my warthog joystick sooner than I thought.

Does Virpil deliver to Europe? Is the end of March still the target for new orders?

Could you tell us a bit more about the base feel? Does both axis blend and transition smoothly or do you feel both axis distinctively?

Yes, VPC will be delivering worldwide! End of March is indeed our target - I'll keep you posted.

Regarding the feel of the base, because of the huge amount of adjustments available and the different cam profiles you can make it feel literally however you want! Light or heavy tension. Completely smooth/indistinguishable axis transitions, soft axis transitions, or a hard/distinctive transition. It's all possible with this base!

I believe I see two of the 4 way hats, the other two look like 2 way switches. Is one of them actually the third 4 way hat?

The lower center hat is also a 4-way hat.

Great overview (with some very welcome specifics), and the product looks great too!

I'm eager to replace my TM WH joystick base and this just looks right, especially as it requires no surgery for putting an electronic adapter into the TM WH grip! I might also buy the T-50 grip, but the base is priority 1 (big one!).

I use the desk mounts from Monstertech (Germany); and if necessary I will drill some new holes in the mounting plate for the TM WH stick to accommodate the T-50 base. (It would be even better if the T-50 base had its holes in the same places as the TM WH base.)

Just one little suggestion: There is a fairly large opening in the TM-50 base around the stick, which will allow dust to enter the base and over time this may become a problem. A bellow (like on the VKB Gladiator Pro), or simple dust cover (similar to the one that that comes from Monstertech), would be welcome!

We do actually already have a rubber bellow/dust cover!

hPYnIOWh.jpg

will the base be available for purchase without the grip?

Yes, the Mt-50 base will be available separately.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Will all the items be avaliable for shipment at the same time? (base, grip, desk mount/plates, extensions, warthog adapter stick adapter?)

The MT-50 grip, extensions, desk brackets and TM mounting plates will be available when the store opens. The MT-50 base will be available in May!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ah ok, I guess I will just wait until May to purchase it all under one order. I am assuming then from your response that there is no adapter needed to fit the warthog stick to the virpil base, correct?

That's correct, we made some adjustments early on due to the demand and now it's a straight fit!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]