Returning to Home Base - FIRST POST

FuppyJam

Hello from Baltimore, MD USA! - FIRST POST

I'm 1 week in on playing DCS (but two months of research prior to playing). I'm flying and familiarizing myself w/ the SU-57 mod and I have some of the basics of AtoA and targeting figured out.

My question is how do I return to my home base after completing a mission. I've been playing around w/ the nav system but I'm lost (literally) when it comes to figuring out how to return to the base.

I appreciate everyone's feedback and look forward to learning as much as I can!

Not sure of the level of fidelity in the SU-57 Mod as I haven't flown any of the FC3 aircraft for a while. but some options below: If you have a mission plan with way-points you can always look for your initial way-point, or final way-point, alternately depending on the map you will find airfield diagrams and Charts for all the airfields, easiest thing is to use Tacan to identify the airport and head towards it if equipped, or using a theatre map identify a Tacan near by that you can use to then VFR navigate to your home field. Or worst case press F10, find your airfield and take a bearing, either with the ruler, or as a general "its South East of me" and head in that direction.

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

lol dont start him on GR. Try Redkite, Matt Wagner, Spudknocker, etc, that said SU57 is a mod of FC3 you wont find a lot on it against the fuller fidelity aircraft. The A-4Ec or M339 will give you better mileage

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

Go on the Grim Reapers’ YouTube channel.
If you like constant switching views that's the place to go, the dude really can't keep his head fixed for one single moment. It's one of those channels i try to avoid just because of the ADHD effect.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I find GR to be quite informal, and, usually, straight to the point. And, most of all, a comprehensive list of tutorials all under one roof. But we all have our own set of preferences. The point is, there is plenty of useful help on YouTube.

Go on the Grim Reapers’ YouTube channel. There are tutorials for each aircraft, and each category, navigation, comms, weapons etc.

While there are reviews of the SU-57 on the GR channel, there is nothing about the navigation for that specific aircraft. I'm starting to figure things out though, by watching their other nav tutorials.

How did this turn into about GR channel?

If you're playing campaign, usually the last nav waypoint will line you up up with the runway. If not, press Esc and check Briefing. At the bottom will be air field name. Then open the comm menu (\ key), choose ATC, choose the air field, and Inbound. It'll give you heading and distance.

You can also use F10 view. At the top is a ruler. Use right mouse button to draw line form you to the air field from briefing. You'll get heading and distance info.

How did this turn into about GR channel?

If you're playing campaign, usually the last nav waypoint will line you up up with the runway. If not, press Esc and check Briefing. At the bottom will be air field name. Then open the comm menu (\ key), choose ATC, choose the air field, and Inbound. It'll give you heading and distance.

You can also use F10 view. At the top is a ruler. Use right mouse button to draw line form you to the air field from briefing. You'll get heading and distance info.

Thank you and to everyone that posted. Much appreciated!