SideStrafe Q&A&Combat with Matt 'Wags' Wagner

NineLine

The almost 'no comment' on a 4th gen DCS level RU fighter or aircraft in the near to distant future, is somewhat disappointing, if not unexpected. Although I do appreciate the sincerity and honesty of Matt's tone that echoes throughout that interview. Couldn't have asked for more.

Thanks for sharing, much appreciated and keep 'em coming!

Asus Z390 Code XI, i9-9900K, RAM 32 Gig Corsair Vengeance @ 3200, RTX 2080 TI FE, TIR 5, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, HOTAS WH, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, HTC Vive Pro, Win 10 x64

The almost 'no comment' on a 4th gen DCS level RU fighter or aircraft in the near to distant future, is somewhat disappointing, if not unexpected. Although I do appreciate the sincerity and honesty of Matt's tone that echoes throughout that interview. Couldn't have asked for more.

I too am disappointed on this front, although it's understandable of course.

Fortunately the Strait of Hormuz map will present a number of great scenarios as many of the countries operate western aircraft. Maybe that's why it was chosen?

Iran:

F-14

F-4

F-5

UAE:

Hawk

Mirage 2000

Qatar:

Mirage 2000

Oman:

Hawk

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

One of the biggest "news" in this Q&A was at minute 38:10-38:34

Multicore: "Things will change"

:music_whistling:

Yep! That stood out to me also. Not sure what it takes as far as altering the base code of DCS to take advantage of multicore technology but I am sure the community will fist bump when it's implemented. So what happens to multiple GPU's then?

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Yep! That stood out to me also. Not sure what it takes as far as altering the base code of DCS to take advantage of multicore technology but I am sure the community will fist bump when it's implemented. So what happens to multiple GPU's then?

He also addessed that. It's not as important as multi-CPU, because just very few users have multiple GPUs, but they would like to do it anyways, but currently lack the ressources to do that.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

He also addessed that. It's not as important as multi-CPU, because just very few users have multiple GPUs, but they would like to do it anyways, but currently lack the ressources to do that.

Very true QuiGon. Thanks for recalling that piece from the interview. I am sure there are not that many in the community that can afford to take advantage of multi-GPU, but multiple CPU's exist in every box for sure.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Multithreaded work has been discussed and confirmed here by c0ff :) https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3147153&postcount=24

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

I watched the original stream, Wags did address it. Pretty sure someone did ask about it....

Still haven't watched it (blocked at work), so what was said about ATC updates?

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Still haven't watched it (blocked at work), so what was said about ATC updates?

To sum up, it has been worked on some, but they are trying to develop better technology to build with so that they can "do it right"

Wags basically said they could have had something done a while ago but they would rather wait to do it better.

Considering how buggy the current ATC is, I would presume this would mean they are looking for better ways to detect/coordinate the location of traffic. But that's just a guess.

Didn't sound like we should be looking for it until after 2.5

GeForce GTX 970, i5 4690K 3.5 GHz, 8 GB ram, Win 10, 1080p

• ED Team
To sum up, it has been worked on some, but they are trying to develop better technology to build with so that they can "do it right"

Wags basically said they could have had something done a while ago but they would rather wait to do it better.

Considering how buggy the current ATC is, I would presume this would mean they are looking for better ways to detect/coordinate the location of traffic. But that's just a guess.

Didn't sound like we should be looking for it until after 2.5

Yup, there is a lot to it, making realistic Carrier ATC as well as more era specific ATC...

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I would be interested to know if creating DCS-level recent Russian aircraft is problematic to ED only, or to non-Russian 3rd parties as well... What I'm getting at here is: Is ED - being a russian company - bound itself, or is DCS as a product bound from having modern russian fighters altogether. If the latter is the case, then we should not be expecting any 3rd party to create such aircraft either.

I hope it is just ED... we so need at least something newer than the MiG-21...

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron

Mi-24P is newer than the MiG-12Bis... I wouldn't rule out everything newer, and I personally do expect for a MiG-23 to happen in a few years. There may also hopefully be a Tu-22M "soom tm", if Blackcat folks can really do it (and I hope they can!).

But 4th gen Ru fighters, even early ones in full DCS, in my opinion are just not happening. And the product would be licenced / contracted / sold by ED even if developed by an outside source.

BTW, the video's content may be new for people who haven't been able to follow things closely, or just relatively recently began following the DCS but, for those who have followed things closely for years, there really isn't anything new said in the video. I suppose the video itself was mainly targeted towards new audiences, to get them interested in DCS, or answer their questions without hoping for them to pore through forums and other parts of community :).

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Mi-24P is newer than the MiG-12Bis... I wouldn't rule out everything newer, and I personally do expect for a MiG-23 to happen in a few years. There may also hopefully be a Tu-22M "soom tm", if Blackcat folks can really do it (and I hope they can!).

But 4th gen Ru fighters, even early ones in full DCS, in my opinion are just not happening. And the product would be licenced / contracted / sold by ED even if developed by an outside source.

BTW, the video's content may be new for people who haven't been able to follow things closely, or just relatively recently began following the DCS but, for those who have followed things closely for years, there really isn't anything new said in the video. I suppose the video itself was mainly targeted towards new audiences, to get them interested in DCS, or answer their questions without hoping for them to pore through forums and other parts of community :).

I am aware of the recent plans for aircraft, but as it stands they are not yet in the game.

Anyway... it is good to hear things sort of wrapped up again and hear they have not been phased out. Not sure if every bullet was old, but you are right, the info for most things has been out there in bits and pieces.

DCS Finland | SF squadron

Would like to thank both SideStrafe and Matt for this Q&A and SiThSpAwN for posting it for us, for myself as a new pilot/user of the DCS product this was a very informative and eye opening experience into the developers world for a game i have fallen in love with.

Your product has given me a chance to experience what a pilot would feel, act and think like in it's real world counterpart, and for that i thank you all!

Edited by WarHawk72
Forgot Sidestrafe :)
  • Like 2

• ED Team
Would like to thank both SiThSpAwN and Matt for this Q&A, for myself as a new pilot/user of the DCS product this was a very informative and eye opening experience into the developers world for a game i have fallen in love with.

Your product has given me a chance to experience what a pilot would feel, act and think like in it's real world counterpart, and for that i thank you all!

I didnt do anything more than post the video here, but I know Matt and team appreciate the sentiment, and glad to hear you are enjoying the sim!

64Sig.png

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• ED Team
Youtube is the only platform available to listen to the podcast? I'd like to have the audio only so I could listen to it while I'm working.

Cheers

Wasn't a podcast, it was a Twitch stream, then he made a highlights video for youtube.

64Sig.png

Youtube is the only platform available to listen to the podcast? I'd like to have the audio only so I could listen to it while I'm working.

Cheers

There are a lot of utilities that will extract the audio from youtube vidoes. For example: https://www.onlinevideoconverter.com/

• Like 1

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

There are a lot of utilities that will extract the audio from youtube vidoes. For example: https://www.onlinevideoconverter.com/

Yep, I was thinking about that. I use other website which basically does the same thing. But since I have limited internet here, that's not an option, seeing the .mp3 file is over 100mb :D Anyway, I'll leave it for tomorrow.

As much as I often gripe I recognize that what ED/DCS are doing is very technical.

They are trying (and mostly succeeding) to bring "$20 Million Dollar Flight Simulator" capabilities into the homes of those who love the seriousness of flight and have "slightly above average" home computers.

It may be costly to take advantage of this level of technology, but it's a far cry cheaper than $20 Million !! In fact, it is the cost of PC components required to take advantage of and/or appreciate DCS that is my biggest issue.

Just the same, I'll gladly take DCS over any other Flight Sim, Game or Software.

SnowTiger:joystick:

• 4 months later...