My popup points are totally wrong....what am I missing?

Nealius

Previously I didn't seem to have this problem, so I'm not sure what I'm missing. Attaching map pictures to show what's going on. According to Chuck's Guide, the popup point should be heading and range from the target. So here's how I entered the popup point in the computer:

(Target Waypoint 3, popup point 110° 6.7km from target)

TAKT - IN - 110067 - B3

So I make my run. U3 changes to M3 at point 076° 6.7km from the target. The range is right, but the heading is totally off. It's not even 180° off which confuses me even more; if it were 180° off I could just correct by programming heading to target instead of from. My nav system was showing 0 drift according to the computer, and my flight to the target was less than 50km, so not enough time for a drift to occur anyway.

Am I making a mistake with my popup point input? Making a mistake reading the ruler tool in the ME? What am I doing wrong here?

I've never used pop-up points myself, but in the following video, the player enters the heading to the target. :dunno:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Pop up points are definitely defined FROM pop up point TO target and moreover accept XXXYY value rather then XXXYYY (you can input only whole numbers for distance)

I'm not sure how you ended up with the actual position of the pop up point you report, though.

Maybe the fact that you input six numbers instead of five confuses the computer in some weird way.

I just checked the manual: While it does say that the heading is from the pop-up to the target, it does nowhere say anything about the actual format of the input, which is pretty bad for a manual (unless I missed it somewhere?).

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

I just checked the manual: While it does say that the heading is from the pop-up to the target, it does nowhere say anything about the actual format of the input, which is pretty bad for a manual (unless I missed it somewhere?).

Yeah, it discusses the pop up point input on several places and some of them are vague. I just checked myself and the most relevant part is on page 186. It doesn't mention the format specifically, but there's a picture that shows that it's XXXYY.

According to the manual, pages 185 and 186, you are doing it right except that the heading shall be FROM the pop-up point TO the target. In the format xxxyyy, where yyy is whole km with tens of km (6.7km as 067) as you did. You should have ended up with a pop-up at 180 degrees of. No idea why you got 76. May I ask what is your bearing to the target when over the pop-up point?

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Yeah, it discusses the pop up point input on several places and some of them are vague. I just checked myself and the most relevant part is on page 186. It doesn't mention the format specifically, but there's a picture that shows that it's XXXYY.

According to the picture it could also be XXXYYY (165° 10.0km), which is also what the linked video says. The manual is not clear on this :(

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg

According to the picture it could also be XXXYYY.

Hm, you're actually right. It could be. My mistake was that I always input just XXXYY and it seems to work just fine for me so I assumed it's same like when you're inputting VIND info where it's also XXXYY.

Also I think the cheat sheet for computer codes implies that it should be XXXYY, so that probably reinforced my belief that it has to be XXXYY, but in the end you're right, it doesn't state it specifically anywhere.

XXXYY would not work, as that is only 5 digits. The computer is 6 digits. Considering that bearings are three digits, that means the last three must be distance, therefore XXXYYY. Through trial and many errors, I found that the distance format is 00.0, so inputting '123' would come out as 12.3km.

The example in Chuck's guide puts the popup point South, 120° from the target, 7km. He inputs 120070. That apparently worked at the time the guide was created.

As for my bearing to the target when my popup point ended up being 076°, that would be the reciprocal, so 256° to the target.

As for my bearing to the target when my popup point ended up being 076°, that would be the reciprocal, so 256° to the target.

Not necessarily. Your bearing is taken in relation to your nose (or the Viggens nose more correctly), with the nose being 0 degrees and counting clockwise. 256 would be your bearing only if you were flying straight north.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

I was heading west/northwest if I recall. The target was off to my left. It's a shame Viggen tracks are always corrupted, otherwise I could go back and check.

Ok, so I experimented here. I tried inputting the heading to the target instead of from to see what happens. The opposite of 110 is 290, so 290065. This time it worked. What still doesn't make sense is why inputting 110 doesn't put me on the opposite side, since it should be 180° from where I wanted to be.

Edited by Nealius

Previously I didn't seem to have this problem, so I'm not sure what I'm missing. Attaching map pictures to show what's going on. According to Chuck's Guide, the popup point should be heading and range from the target. So here's how I entered the popup point in the computer:

(Target Waypoint 3, popup point 110° 6.7km from target)

TAKT - IN - 110067 - B3

So I make my run. U3 changes to M3 at point 076° 6.7km from the target. The range is right, but the heading is totally off. It's not even 180° off which confuses me even more; if it were 180° off I could just correct by programming heading to target instead of from. My nav system was showing 0 drift according to the computer, and my flight to the target was less than 50km, so not enough time for a drift to occur anyway.

Am I making a mistake with my popup point input? Making a mistake reading the ruler tool in the ME? What am I doing wrong here?

I'll have to double-check and update the guide accordingly. Pop-up point logic may have changed since the last time I flew this.

Edit: the procedure I had was indeed incorrect. I fixed it in the latest revision.

Edited by Charly_Owl