Turning stick twist into wheel braking

One of the brake pedals on my saitek pedals has stopped working and so I would like to use my stick rotation to control individual wheel braking so twisting it right will apply right wheel brake and twisting it left will apply left wheel brake. I could do this by using it as a slider and applying saturation to isolate each side of the twist but i cannot apply the same axis to two functions. Is there any way around this?

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!

Thanks, does target have to run in the background and therefore use up CPU?

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Is it possible to add a modifier to an axis? If so I could use the working brake as the wheel brake and set the hat switch left and right as modifiers so I can choose which brake is used......

Thanks, does target have to run in the background and therefore use up CPU?

Yes - but the impact is practically nil.

Is it possible to add a modifier to an axis? If so I could use the working brake as the wheel brake and set the hat switch left and right as modifiers so I can choose which brake is used......

I don't know; it sounds like a scripting job although you might be able to do it using multiple 'Layers' via the GUI.