Early Access, Open Beta, Stable, Release, what does it all mean?

MonnieRock

I have always wondered, why have EA products in Stable / Release? :dunno:

Red = Open Beta, Early Access, incomplete, bugs.

Green = Stable version, Release version

From the store page:

What is DCS World Early Access?

Early Access is an option for you to play this module in an early state, but it will be incomplete with bugs. The time a product remains in Early Access can vary widely based on the scope of the project, technical hurdles, and how complete the module is when it enters Early Access. Eagle Dynamics and all of our third parties strive to make this period as short as possible. An Early Access module can be played on both the Open Beta and Release versions of DCS World. Once the module exits Early Access, you will automatically have the Release version.

What is DCS World Open Beta?

We operate two versions of DCS World, the Open Beta version and the Release version. Because DCS World is a "living" project that changes daily, it's possible for a project-wide bug to work itself in and make the game unplayable for all. To prevent this and add a level of protection, we adopted Open Beta and Release versions.

Most every two weeks (sometimes more with hotfixes) we create a new Open Beta version that comprises the changes from the prior two weeks. Although this first goes through both internal and closed-external testing, it is possible for errors to slip through. In this case, the Open Beta is utilized to identify a "blocking" bug that prevents all customers from playing the game (not just customers of a single module). For those that take part in the Open Beta, we greatly appreciate it and thank you for your testing efforts. If a "blocking bug" is present in the Open Beta, we always have the Release version available. This is why the Release version is sometimes called the Stable version.

As such, the Open Beta version is for us to "field-test" new changes and check for any DCS-wide "Blocking" crashes, and the Release version is the result of the previous Open Beta that does not suffer any "Blocks." As with Early Access, Open Beta is an option and may not be for everyone.

Let's look at a few key sentences:

1) As with Early Access, Open Beta is an option and may not be for everyone.

2) If a "blocking bug is present in the Open Beta, we always have the Release version available. This is why the Release version is sometimes called the Stable version.

3) Early Access is an option for you to play this module in an early state, but it will be incomplete with bugs.

4) Once the module exits Early Access, you will automatically have the Release version.

Options Given:

1) Open Beta, Early Access, incomplete, bugs. (For those living on the edge that except a compromised experience and / or want to beta test.)

2) Stable version, Release version. (For those that who wish a trouble free experience.)

Do we really have options:

An Early Access module can be played on both the Open Beta and Release versions of DCS World.

:dunno:

If Early Access is synonymous with incomplete, bugs. why is it in Stable version, Release version?

If Stable version is synonymous with Release version , why is it not only modules that have reached Release version status?

Happy Simming,

Monnie

Edited by MonnieRock

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

I have always wondered, why have EA products in Stable / Release?...

If Stable version is synonymous with Release version , why is it not only modules that have reached Release version status?

Happy Simming,

Monnie

The difference between Beta and Release is that, in theory, the Release version has no bugs that make it unplayable. Both versions have bugs. Neither is complete. The Release version, however, shouldn't have bugs that bring the sim to its knees.

Early Access by definition has bugs. EA exists first in the Beta version to make sure no crippling bugs exist. Once the developer thinks it's sufficiently fleshed out and ready for general release, it goes to the Release version. It'll still have bugs. Just not crippling bugs. Any changes to a module are first released to Beta. If people don't complain that it fragged their computers, it then goes to Release.

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

What is a "crippling bug"?

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

One that makes the sim unplayable or introduces a significant problem to the sim itself. E.g.: Users fire a missile while in their trusty F/A-18 and their computers lock up. Something like not having an aspect of the A2A radar work properly, however, is not a crippling bug.

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

One that makes the sim unplayable or introduces a significant problem to the sim itself. E.g.: Users fire a missile while in their trusty F/A-18 and their computers lock up. Something like not having an aspect of the A2A radar work properly, however, is not a crippling bug.

Is that your personal opinion on what is crippling or not?

What about release version only having modules that have reached release version status?

What about release version only having modules that have reached release version status?

The best thing you could do here - is PM a moderator or dev - and have them give you the company's exact definitions of this, otherwise there is going to be more conjecture the further this thread goes (as most do for any topic). That being said, IronHand has given you some pretty solid interpretation.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

DCS's.

"...the Open Beta is utilized to identify a “blocking” bug that prevents all customers from playing the game (not just customers of a single module)"...

So what I said above would be one example.

EDIT: Actually, come to think of it, a blocking bug would be worse than that. Mine would be an example of "customers of a single module."

:) Where do they say that?

Edited by Ironhand

_____

you have been here since 2005? do you only play Single player?

i'd say when you fire a missile and the game crashes to desktop (CTD) is a crippling bug. They have (ED & 3rd Partys, people participating in these forums reporting issues) have stopped a lot of these.

i could remember when i was playing multiplayer in 1.3, 1.4 and using the 25t free plane; the server would crash using mpus.... so i'd say they have improved but you posted all that and still do not understand the difference between open beta and release?

i'd say ur just trying to get a "finished module to only been in a release ver." to me seems just silly.

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.

I thougt it was "strange" to have an early access module in the release version, but after some thinking I believe it's ok:

dcs release version = no major bugs; dcs open beta version = major bugs possible

released module = feature complete; early access module = feature incomplete

You can have a feature incomplete module without major bugs -> i.e. viper without external lights (feature incomplete) in dcs stable branch (all major bugs solved).

The lack of external lights is not a bug, it's a feature still to be developed.

You can have a lot of bugs in the release version, as long as they are not major ones.

The definition of "major" is up to ED only.

Edited by nessuno0505

This discussion again. But it's necessary I guess.

As the industry standard is to have a release version only, with some exceptions to a Public Test Version or Server, I can see where ED got their idea.

As it is, however, it indeed doesn't make sense to have incomplete modules in a "stable" version when those modules by themselves are bugged. It nullifies the point of a "stable" or "released" version.

And please don't try to split DCS from its modules. Are we really flying DCS without modules? Come on.

I would say DCS Stable shouldn't exist unless it ONLY sports stable versions of ALL software. Only when a module is complete and bug free would it reach Stable.

"The natural function of the wing is to soar upwards and carry that which is heavy up to the place where dwells the race of gods.

More than any other thing that pertains to the body it partakes of the nature of the divine." — Plato, Phaedrus.

• ED Team

Hi all

Open beta is our public test version of DCS, It gets the most updates, and allows us to test our tweaks and fixes with a larger user base. Open beta is optional.

We also have early access modules which are still under development, if you choose to you can have access to these modules while they are in a development phase.

Stable DCS does not get as many updates, we do our best to ensure it will not crash, it can still contain the early access modules so they can be enjoyed by all while still in development if you have chosen to be part of early access.

The sole purpose of a Stable release is moving the Open Beta code version to the Stable code version when we are confident there are no crash bugs in the module. Hence the term Stable version. Stable version has nothing to do with features and bugs (aside from crashes).

A blocking or critical bug is something like a widespread crash or something that prevents the user from using a module or DCS itself.

DCS is not static, it is always being developed, improved or modules and features added, there will be bugs and the team work hard to fix as many as they can in the open beta. Your use of open beta and your reports here on the forum make DCS a better product, and we thank you all for that.

I hope my explanation has helped, thank you for supporting us.

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I have always wondered, why have EA products in Stable / Release? :dunno:

Told ya, best way is to get a Dev or Mod to jump in. And there you are, clear of conjecture and reasoning by the company:

Hi all

Open beta is our public test version of DCS, It gets the most updates, and allows us to test our tweaks and fixes with a larger user base. Open beta is optional.

We also have early access modules which are still under development, if you choose to you can have access to these modules while they are in a development phase.

Stable DCS does not get as many updates, we do our best to ensure it will not crash, it can still contain the early access modules so they can be enjoyed by all while still in development if you have chosen to be part of early access.

The sole purpose of a Stable release is moving the Open Beta code version to the Stable code version when we are confident there are no crash bugs in the module. Hence the term Stable version. Stable version has nothing to do with features and bugs (aside from crashes).

A blocking or critical bug is something like a widespread crash or something that prevents the user from using a module or DCS itself.

DCS is not static, it is always being developed, improved or modules and features added, there will be bugs and the team work hard to fix as many as they can in the open beta. Your use of open beta and your reports here on the forum make DCS a better product, and we thank you all for that.

I hope my explanation has helped, thank you for supporting us.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Stable version has nothing to do with features and bugs (aside from crashes).

Thanks Big Newy for your reply.

From what you said, I see now that Release, Stable, Open Beta and, Early Acess will all have bugs and incomplete features. The only advantage of Release / Stable is no crashes.

Happy Simming,

Monnie

The only advantage of Release / Stable is no crashes.

That is unfortunately not true. My favorite example here is the Laser Maverick CTD which existed a while ago, which crashed everyones DCS on the server or in SP when it was fired. While it was reported in the Beta, it was still taken over in the "Stable".

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There was also that time (exact details elude me) where a whole module was made unflyable because it caused a crash. So Ed put out a stable release without a product people had paid for, and they couldn’t fly it for a time.

I think it was the Mig21 - anyone remember the details better than I?