XTAL 5K VR HMD has ARRIVED!

-Hammer-1606689095

Greetings Everyone!

My XTAL 5K VR HMD has arrived! :pilotfly:

New! DCS + XTAL Through the Lens videos!

XTAL Promo / Intro Vid!

fAOeQQq.jpg?2

In the near future everyone will be receiving a PROPER detailed review covering the following topics:

• The Purchase Process, Associated Costs, and, Delivery times

• Unboxing the XTAL 5K VR HMD

• Installation, Setup and configuration with Windows 10

• Build quality and the hardware interface

• Ergonomics of the XTAL 5K VR HMD (Seated & Room Scale)

• Implementation and use of XTAL (VRgineers) Software in Windows 10

• Visual acuity, clarity, and Performance Testing

• Through-the-Lens comparison with the HTC VIVE Pro

• Setup and Configuration as well as overall implementation into SteamVR

• XTAL + Leap Motion

• DCS Performance gains with the XTAL 5K VR HMD

Stay Tuned!

Edited by -=Hammer=-
DCS Through The Lens Update

PC: i7-6850K/2080Ti, 32GB RAM.

Flight Controls: Thrust Master Warthog Set

Rudder Pedals : TM TPR

VR: HTC Vive & Pro / Oculus Rift / HP Reverb Pro / XTAL

Cool looking forward to this. Any chance you have other headsets (HP reverb to compare it to?)

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Cool looking forward to this. Any chance you have other headsets (HP reverb to compare it to?)

Hi Harlikwin!

Unfortunately I do not have the reverb on hand for a direct comparison.

But fear not!, More info is coming soon for everyone to see and experience. :thumbup:

Stay Tuned!

Updated Initial Video Test, please comment, like, and subscribe!

More to follow soon, Stay tuned!

? I must be missing something...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

? I must be missing something...

Hiya Dburne,

Video is on the first post of the the thread, please feel free to check it out.

DCS and other content to follow soon, Stay Tuned!

I guess I am a little confused, the video I see is a 20 second what appears to be promotional vid just showing the headset itself with music in background.

Is this the "Initial Video Test" ?

Are you affiliated with VRgineers?

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I guess I am a little confused, the video I see is a 20 second what appears to be promotional vid just showing the headset itself with music in background.

Is this the "Initial Video Test" ?

Yes'Sir, Affirmative.

Considering that I have never created a youtube video (or any other video for that matter), the look, feel, and layout and composition experience is what I needed to get a handle on before I started into the details of putting together a logical, well informed, and highly detailed PROPER media review for everyone here to see.

More content will follow shortly, it's well worth the wait as this is a game changer in the DCS VR world.

Thanks for the feedback and Stay tuned! :thumbup:

-VNAO VFA 103 Hammer

Let's see,

Hammer Profile created in november 2019 so less than 9 days ago.

5 posts, all of them in his Xtal thread.

Claims he has never done any video but created one with 'digital distortion' effects, in a studio like environment with a perfectly clean white background.

Moving/sliding motion on a company branded stand.

Teases with a 20 seconds useless 'initial review' video

Encourages you to like/subscribe like a good internet PR person.

Yup... seems legit'... totally not a commercial or someone paid to do so :lol::music_whistling:

Yeah my "guess" is this is more a promotional thread, we'll see I guess.

Don B

please also be reminded, that the original xtal video by sweviver, that got some people so hyped up, was itself already a promotional video by definition, since sweviver was/is affiliated with vrgineers/xtal.

that being said, i'm still interested in some information on the device - especially on the technical details. however, it should be made clear if this is promotional content!

Edited by twistking

He’s working for Pimax.

that does not contradict my statement. also sweviver did himself state that he was affiliated with xtal. if not in the original video, then in a follow-up to it, or in the comments. this is not a secret or anything...

however i do not know, if he is still affiliated with xtal/VRgineers at this point. the important thing is, that he was, when he did the video.

Edited by twistking

Good Afternoon Gentlemen from sunny florida!

Let's see,

Hammer Profile created in november 2019 so less than 9 days ago.

5 posts, all of them in his Xtal thread.

Claims he has never done any video but created one with 'digital distortion' effects, in a studio like environment with a perfectly clean white background.

Moving/sliding motion on a company branded stand.

Teases with a 20 seconds useless 'initial review' video

Encourages you to like/subscribe like a good internet PR person.

Yup... seems legit'... totally not a commercial or someone paid to do so :lol::music_whistling:

Hiya Hip3ron!, I must admit, I LOL'd at the conspiracy theory you put out here :megalol:

I'll take what you said as complements considering I did put about a total of 5 hours of work into creating the first video! I am definitely learning as I go, but I am so enthusiastic about how absolutely AWESOME the the clarity is with XTAL, that I'm willing to give it my all!

Yeah my "guess" is this is more a promotional thread, we'll see I guess.

Hiya Dburne!, This is definitely promotional for all of us, for Eagle Dynamics, for VRgineers (the Talent behind XTAL), and for all of us, the users of this amazing simulation software! :beer:

please also be reminded, that the original xtal video by sweviver, that got some people so hyped up, was itself already a promotional video by definition, since sweviver was/is affiliated with vrgineers/xtal.

that being said, i'm still interested in some information on the device - especially on the technical details. however, it should be made clear if this is promotional content!

Greetings twistking!,

Thanks for your feedback!, I will be hopefully uploading the 2nd video later tonight! It will be a montage of Through-the-Lens clips which showcase the amazing quality and clarity that XTAL offers.

The only downside is that there is a loss of quality during video composition and encoding due to me NOT having a professional studio or studio cameras and equipment, but none the less, the quality should suffice at present for my humble youtube upload beginnings. :thumbup::smartass:

Everyone Stay Tuned!

Did anyone else notice that he didn't deny working for Xtal?

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Lol, I sure did! It's pretty obvious this guy is doing promotional work for Xtal. It's a shame that they go about it in such a shady way, as it does nothing but make the brand look weak.

And from all accounts, the Xtal is a huge disappointment, at least when it comes to games and simming. You're much better off buying a Reverb, which is a fraction of the cost. It's a bummer, as the Xtal promised some interesting technology, but the end product is more a proof of concept than an actually desirable consumer product. Better luck next time, though if they're now skulking around forums, I hate to say that I don't think there will be a next time...

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

Hiya Thick8, I can make it official and say that I am not employed for nor do I work for XTAL.

And just for accuracy, their company is called Vrgineers, their product is the XTAL. :smartass:, I work for neither.

Lol, I sure did! It's pretty obvious this guy is doing promotional work for Xtal. It's a shame that they go about it in such a shady way, as it does nothing but make the brand look weak.

And from all accounts, the Xtal is a huge disappointment, at least when it comes to games and simming. You're much better off buying a Reverb, which is a fraction of the cost. It's a bummer, as the Xtal promised some interesting technology, but the end product is more a proof of concept than an actually desirable consumer product. Better luck next time, though if they're now skulking around forums, I hate to say that I don't think there will be a next time...

Hiya GunSlinger, nope, I do not work for XTAL, my day job actually has me cruising around FL450 doing .90 though, so there is a relation as to why I actually do enjoy the extreme clarity AND near 180 degrees FOV with my XTAL that I purchased as an ordinary consumer.

One of the labs over in Digital Media (we are all engineers here but the Media guys are actually in the School of Journalism) has an Xtal that I did not even know about until Thursday. I went over and tried it out on Friday for almost 2 hours. One word can sum up my experiences, .... disappointment. I may detail all the specifics later but the $630 Reverb is better. (So is the Rift S for that matter)

Hiya Aurelius!

I'm trying to wrap my head around your experience that you had over your colleagues place, it is a VERY different experience compared to what I have and hence my motivation to show the world how great the XTAL is, albeit, nothing is perfect for sure as there are ergonomic factors that can be improved for sure.

New DCS Through the Lens video posted on first page, first post! thumbup.gif

Doesn't look that great, can't really tell any difference from my Samsung O+ but I bet it sure as hell costs more than the $250 I paid......lol no thanks.

Hiya jwilliams, lol.gif

Two entirely different ball games my friend, I've used the O+ and it does not compare on so many levels. The O+ is quite a bit lighter though, so it has that much going for it comparatively! :smilewink:

By the way,:smilewink: to be able to run EACH eye @ 3132 x 1764 with Hi settings across the board + SSA 2.0 and MSAA 4x on an i7 6850K paired with a 2080 ti and get:

--> silky smooth experience

--> EXTREME CLARITY

--> 170-180 deg FOV,

XTAL literally wipes the floor with the O+

Price is definitely drawback of the XTAL in it's current state, but, it is true that you get what you pay for + the costs of bleeding edge etc.

Also just to let ya (everyone know) the resolution of the recorded video + upload degrades the presented image quality by a large margin. :thumbup:

FL450 doing 0.90? CPL I assume?

(2730 hrs for myself)

Heya Aurelius, nice! :beer:

I'm a G650 Captain, It's a great plane with great performance, nice low cab alt up high too so it definitely helps on the long legs!

My apologies for assuming you work for the makers of the Xtal - you just came across as evasive about working for them, and very gushy about the product.

Can I ask a few questions?

1.) What frame rate are you getting in the game - I'm guessing half that of the HMD's refresh rate?

2.) Could you run VRfps for us, and tell us how it performs relating to dropped frames?

3.)Have you ever tried the HP Reverb? If so, how do they compare - from what I've heard, the Reverb is the better of the two?

Hope you can answer these questions, as I've given up on the Reverb due to the horrible reprojection issues.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

My apologies for assuming you work for the makers of the Xtal - you just came across as evasive about working for them, and very gushy about the product.

Can I ask a few questions?

1.) What frame rate are you getting in the game - I'm guessing half that of the HMD's refresh rate?

2.) Could you run VRfps for us, and tell us how it performs relating to dropped frames?

3.)Have you ever tried the HP Reverb? If so, how do they compare - from what I've heard, the Reverb is the better of the two?

Hope you can answer these questions, as I've given up on the Reverb due to the horrible reprojection issues.

Heya Gunslinger, no worries !

I'm putting together another Video with all the data you are asking for :thumbup:

In short, when it comes to optics and tracking options, the XTAL blows the Reverb / O+ / Vive Pro / away...

Eye tracking + foviated rendering is another thing that is possible with XTAL... AND, I can literally look with my "eyes" not only my head to the left or right and have a CLEAR high resolution image throughout the field of view, it's really amazing.

Sweet spot with the XTAL isn't even an issue to worry about as compared to these other basic consumer grade HMDS because like mentioned above, the visual clarity ACROSS the field of view for both eyes is literally from LEFT to RIGHT, UP to DOWN, and diagonally within your eye's rotational range of motion.

More info to follow shortly.:thumbup: