VR Test Discussion

RogueSqdn

With the thought of keeping non-result posts relevant...

Note: if you are getting 45 FPS in both tests, then in all likelihood, you did not disable ASW correctly.

Thanks

How, other than RCTL KP1? I’ve tried it and noticed no FPS difference, only a small reduction in stuttering.

40 FPS in both tests on Rift S, i7-3930k @3.2Ghz, 1080ti

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No effect. I already have it disabled there but DCS seems to ignore it.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

Try LeftCTL & KP1 That's what I use, could not get it do anything from the Oculus tray tool.

System:

I9 9900KS 5.0GHz : 2080Ti : MSI Z390 GODLike : 32Gb Vengance 4000MHz DDR4 : Samsung 970 1TB Evo Plus, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB : ViewSonic 4K 32"

Windows 10 : HOTAS - Warthog : TPR Pedals : HP Reverb Pro

LCTRL + KP1: ASW OFF

LCTRL + KP2: ASW OFF + 45 FPS LIMIT RIFT / 40 FPS LIMIT RIFT S

LCTRL + KP3: ASW ON 45/40 fps limit on, but it improves the performance of the ground

LCTRL + KP4: ASW AUTO <---- If DCS it goes down to 45 fps on, if it goes up off

In all my test, with all the options of the ASW and both, in the BETA and in the RELEASE, 45 fps in normal flight. Only if I move the view to the sky it goes up to 90 fps with ASW AUTO/ASW OFF in my rift

Edited by Werewolf_fs

I should say I’ve also tried LCTL. I’m getting Oculus beta updates so uncertain of version right now but will check when I get home.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

I used Ctrl+1, the OTT, and the oculus debug tool to disable ASW. All said it was disabled, and the artefacting (squigglies) were gone. I am 100% certain that ASW was disabled, yet I was still locked to 40 (Rift S) and 45 (Rift CV1).

There is something else going on.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=201746

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

I think what is interesting so far is the lack of difference from FPS counter only perspective between the two for most of us. What we don't know is what the objective of the test is.

Possible objectives -

1. Find and fix something broke?

2. Validate the impact ?

3. identify the different impacts based on drivers/equipment?

4. All of the above?

With the best of intentions, I hope its more #1 than the others -which hopefully would mean even higher performance gains for us...

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

@nineline and wags - I hope you guys are getting the data you need. The tough part is using what has been given so far with the very large caveat that there are many variables that could impact the test and not be recorded.

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

I think what is interesting so far is the lack of difference from FPS counter only perspective between the two for most of us. What we don't know is what the objective of the test is.

Possible objectives -

1. Find and fix something broke?

2. Validate the impact ?

3. identify the different impacts based on drivers/equipment?

4. All of the above?

With the best of intentions, I hope its more #1 than the others -which hopefully would mean even higher performance gains for us...

On a quick look through the results my best guesses would be:

1 - There's a performance increase on the CPU frame time side, but it is usually not the bottleneck for our typical settings so doesn't impact as much as perhaps we'd think it would. People seem to have GPU bottlenecks perhaps?

2 - Only a couple of the results show dramatic release vs beta changes, so re-verifying those would be good (as it might be easy to get release vs beta option.lua's not the same, for example). Due to the low number of the result set, it's just worth doing a verification on those outliers before inferring too much.

An interesting experiment for those with release and beta still installed would be to use the system settings 'Low' preset and then run the same TF-51 test run. It might point at some CPU optimization revealing themselves a bit more between the two builds, as the GPU would be doing less and the CPU changes shine.

I have found - pretty reliably - that alt-tabbing out of DCS (to the Oculus Home screen or presumably anything else) THEN pressing the rctrl-numpad1 to disable (or rctrl-numpad4 to enable) then alt-tabbing BACK to DCS shows a pretty obvious/noticeable change to the frame rate numbers on my system. ASW on and my frame rate is capped at 40 if I’m looking at anything other than sky or water (and 80 if I am). ASW OFF and the frame rate wildly fluctuates depending on what I’m looking it (50’s to 90’s and is definitely not capped).

Note in my case that trying to disable/enable ASW using those key strokes from anywhere within DCS (in flight or menus) does NOT work for me (I’m on a Rift S, the stable DCS build for the record and NOT using the Oculus tray tool yet) so I’m pretty sure those keystrokes aren’t registering ASW off/on from within the game but alt-tabbing definitely works.

All that being said I get seemingly respectable frame rates with ASW Off (like I said 50’s to 90’s) however there is an ever-soslight but definitely perceptible micro-stutter that ASW definitely smooths out when activated... I’d love to find a way to smooth out the ASW off experience but haven’t figured out the necessary tweak yet.

Edited by Twwhitey
Forgot to mention something

i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS ROG Z390 MAXIMUS XI HERO, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 32GB DDR4 @ 3866MHZ, 1TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, 1TB WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD, Oculus Rift S

I have found - pretty reliably - that alt-tabbing out of DCS (to the Oculus Home screen or presumably anything else) THEN pressing the rctrl-numpad1 to disable (or rctrl-numpad4 to enable) then alt-tabbing BACK to DCS shows a pretty obvious/noticeable change to the frame rate numbers on my system. ASW on and my frame rate is capped at 40 if I’m looking at anything other than sky or water (and 80 if I am). ASW OFF and the frame rate wildly fluctuates depending on what I’m looking it (50’s to 90’s and is definitely not capped).

Note in my case that trying to disable/enable ASW using those key strokes from anywhere within DCS (in flight or menus) does NOT work for me (I’m on a Rift S, the stable DCS build for the record and NOT using the Oculus tray tool yet) so I’m pretty sure those keystrokes aren’t registering ASW off/on from within the game but alt-tabbing definitely works.

All that being said I get seemingly respectable frame rates with ASW Off (like I said 50’s to 90’s) however there is an ever-soslight but definitely perceptible micro-stutter that ASW definitely smooths out when activated... I’d love to find a way to smooth out the ASW off experience but haven’t figured out the necessary tweak yet.

That ED implements ASW 2.0 !!

No effect. I already have it disabled there but DCS seems to ignore it.

Try disabling vertical synchronization in DCS and in graphic controllers.

Ryzen 7 2700X | MSI Trio 1080Ti | MSI X470 Plus Motherboard | 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator 2933 DDR4 | M.2 XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro SSD | Virpil Mongoost-50 throttle | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | MFG Crosswind | Rift S

It is well possible to correctly disable ASW and still find the system snapping to 45 FPS in a certain FPS range.

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

I will write something up for the results thread, but here's what I found after a bit of testing.

Disabling vsync seems to have had an effect. While I'm still seemingly locked at 40 fps, if I look up into the sky, fps goes to 80. It still seems stuck at 40 when terrain is visible.

ALT tabbing to Oculus to turn off ASW doesn't make a difference.

Setting are the VR preset, but with trees visibility at max, preload at max, and visible range at high (I REALLY don't like trees popping up out of nowhere).

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

This has been the best VR FPS gain for me:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=215373

Would be nice if ED looked at some of the changes here and implemented them so that it would be compatible with all MP servers.

It would be interesting to compare it on both OB and Release to stock. See if OB gets even more of a boost. I have steam so it is a pita to switch back and forth.

Processor: i7-8700K CPU @ 5.1GHz (OC)

Memory: 16384MB RAM DDR 4266

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080TI FE

VR: PiMax 5K+

HDD: Samsung SSD 960 EVO

HDD: WD SSD WDS100T2B0A-00SM50

I’ll have to check that out. I tried bumping stuff way up and had no FPS drop. Can’t give more details right now, but put many on high (except MSAA, FSAA, and blurring) and still ran around 40 FPS, even over Dubai.

I’ll try to give a little more detail tomorrow afternoon.

I’ve verified with Oculus Debug Tool that ASW is off.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Help with running the VR test.

Hi,

I have tried running the VR test and I get a solid 45 fps in both stable and OB. I think I have ASW off. I have the Oculus Rift CV1. I use SkateZilla's DCS Updater utility to launch DCS in VR

Typically I use Oculus Tray tool with ASW in Auto. I turned that off and ran the test. A solid 45 fps in both.

I launched DCS again, with OOT turned off and again a solid 45 fps in both Stable and OB.

I looked in the PRESET1 for launching VR via DCS Updater GUIO and didn't see anything that would fix the fps to 45 or turn ASW on.

I have never used the Oculus debug tool, so I have not tried that. I think when I originally got the CV1 you had to go through stem VR to run DCS>

Anyway, any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

S!

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

See above.

Edited by AKA_Clutter
Delete repeated text.

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

I launched DCS again, with OOT turned off and again a solid 45 fps in both Stable and OB.

I think it is worth pointing out again that if you are getting exactly 45 FPS or 40FPS on a 80Hz headset like the Rift S then the reprojection is not turned off.

I don't have a rift, but with the HTC VIVE you have to turn off reprojection in SteamVR. You do this by going to steamVR and in the menu click on "Display Screen Mirror" then with the screen mirror as focus press shift and A you should get a line of green confirmation text in the top left of the mirrored display. you can now turn the mirror off.

(the mirror display is not the same as the one that is normally displayed in DCS you have to turn it on.)

You should now see your fps vary as you look around the cockpit.

Also on the VIVE Pro I never see it go above 90FPS, even with reprojection off. So if you are by some miracle getting 90 FPS, turn some more options on so you are not! ;-)

Cheers

Are you suggesting that the VR view that shows up on your main monitor when using VR can be turned off and gain you FPS?

If so, I’d definitely like to know if that can be done with a Rift.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Are you suggesting that the VR view that shows up on your main monitor when using VR can be turned off and gain you FPS?

No, I don't know if that can be turned off or not, so I also don't know if it would improve performance, but I doubt it as it is just showing the render view of one eye.

The screen mirror I was talking about is a separate display turned on in SteamVR. You need to turn this on and then press "Shift A" to turn off reprojection, then you can close the screen mirror. turning off reprojection in this way will allow you to see the actual fps by not forcing the graphics card to 45fps when FPS drops below 90. which is all the time in DCS.

I think it is worth pointing out again that if you are getting exactly 45 FPS or 40FPS on a 80Hz headset like the Rift S then the reprojection is not turned off.

I don't have a rift, but with the HTC VIVE you have to turn off reprojection in SteamVR. You do this by going to steamVR and in the menu click on "Display Screen Mirror" then with the screen mirror as focus press shift and A you should get a line of green confirmation text in the top left of the mirrored display. you can now turn the mirror off.

(the mirror display is not the same as the one that is normally displayed in DCS you have to turn it on.)

You should now see your fps vary as you look around the cockpit.

Also on the VIVE Pro I never see it go above 90FPS, even with reprojection off. So if you are by some miracle getting 90 FPS, turn some more options on so you are not! ;-)

Cheers

Yes, ASW is turned off, that is what us Oculus users are trying to say. I’ve confirmed through three different methods and via the removal of the artefacting that it is definitely off. Reprojection is a non issue as oculus users do not even use steamvr, oculus is natively supported by DCS.

Something else is locking our headsets to half frame rate, it is NOT ASW.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Yes, ASW is turned off, that is what us Oculus users are trying to say. I’ve confirmed through three different methods and via the removal of the artefacting that it is definitely off. Reprojection is a non issue as oculus users do not even use steamvr, oculus is natively supported by DCS.

Something else is locking our headsets to half frame rate, it is NOT ASW.

Yes Sorry, I said reprojection but I meant sync. I don't have a rift so I don't know what tech it uses to fill missing frames when ASW is off, if it does at all.

but those of us on SteamVR can turn off reprojection (which is not the same as Motion Smoothing) via the method I described in my post.

I don't know if Rift users can do this but in SteamVR you can see your frame time in ms, this is independent of the sync so you can work out your fps from this, just divided 1000 by frame time, so 1000/18.5ms = 54fps. might help.

Cheers.

Edited by Thunderchief2000

I found that with with DCS if you turn down the window res for it you can a bit better performance, nothing staggring but only my old n busted system it was few fps. In other games it made a big difference to set the window to as low res as you could, IL2 I think I got 10+fps by setting that window to 768xwhatever the lowest setting was. On higher end systems I don't think you'd see much improvement.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).