Odyssey + Consolidated Settings April '19

Nagilem

I'm getting higher frame rates using the DCS PD versus the SS in steam.
In experience, setting dcs PD below 1.3 makes the cockpit blurry.

SteamVR SS at most times is around 104%.

What is the most preferable way to do this? Increase SteamVR SS and lower dcs PD or the other way round?

Play some dcs campaign for the Hornet and there where a lot of stuttering and flashing. I did try putting off the motionreprojection before the stuttering but I put it back to auto and still have those micro off and on moments.

I am just seeking to have that smooth play I had earlier.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

They both do the same thing so changing them both doesn't really help much.

I prefer to leave the super sampling in SteamVR because I use the motion reprojection, and I get a lot of artifacts and ghosting with the DCS PD in its current form. I find with motion repro, the less render engines working on the image, the better for super sampling.

@Fargo007 - If you like using PD better because you get better performance, this is all about individual tastes. For me, the reprojection smooths out the game and SS at ~180 with MSAAx2 on gives me acceptable performance with excellent image quality.

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

It's all about the FPS - which is the only non-subjective benchmark we have. Using the DCS PD and leaving steam at 100% shows substantially higher FPS.

Acknowledged - I do understand how using the forceHalfRateWithReprojection (sp) is a totally different animal. I used to have that turned on, and one of the steam vr updates removed it.

I'll also remind here to occasionally delete your fxo and metashaders in saved games on updates to make sure they're contemporary.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

Actually for me it is less about what the FPS counter says, and more about what I am seeing in the headset, and the playability of the game. Even at 70-90 frames per second, without motion repro, the game smears and micro stutters quite a bit when the AC rolls.

Thanks for the reminder on FXO and metashaders - I have deleted those recently in my saved games folder.

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

Actually for me it is less about what the FPS counter says, and more about what I am seeing in the headset, and the playability of the game. Even at 70-90 frames per second, without motion repro, the game smears and micro stutters quite a bit when the AC rolls..

This is what I wondering about. I hear fellows says their fps is locked at 45 but in my system (i5 core and gtx1060) the fps indicated by steam fpsVR app is always around 20-32 and I am able to fly without issues with playability. The only time the VR screen will have like 2-3 seconds pause and come back on is when the fps deeps into 10fps.

Lowering graphics option like terrain textures, water, and res of cockpit does not decrease fps or playability so I leave them between medium to high.

I leave SS at 104% and dcs at 1.5 and get good cockpit readibilty.

The shimmering and blurriness of outside aircraft is bad. The resolution of object not in your face is poor. but I cannot complain about those so far I fly with my system.

However I have noticed show-stopping stuttering and glitches in dcs campaign for the Hornet but others has been fine.

I believe this is motion reprojection at work. Never thought I could achieve is level of playability and smoothness with those fps in vr.

Edited by Eaglewings

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Steam at 100% and DCS PD at 1.3 is the sweet spot for the Odyssey+. Dont get why people try to go higher with these settings. The image gets too fuzzy.

Hi,

I am confused on your steam settings.

1. What is your global steam vr setting?

2. What then is your application specific setting for DCS in steam vr

I can't understand which setting people are talking about when they say Steam VR settings since there are 2. Global and application specific.

Help me understand

thanks

Gigabyte Z390 mobo, i9-9900K, 32gb ram, GTX 2080 ti, Evo 970 nvme 1tb, 2 DSD button box OSW panels, Oculus Rift CV1, Odyssey Plus, Valve Index, Rift S, HP Reverb, 2 SimRacingStudio wind sim fans, MFG Crosswind pedals, Warthog hotas w 50mm extension, Simlab GT1 EVOcockpit, Gametrix Jet Seat, SFX-100 3DOF motion, 8 transducers, 2 Cougar MFD's

DCS World, Simshaker for Aviators, sound module

Modules: P51, F/18, All Rotor craft, F14, F16, FC3

Super Carrier

@dpj463 - the difference between global and app is whether the steam applies the super sampling to every sreamvr app or specifically to one app. I think they are cumulative. In the end it comes down to driving pixels. The higher you drive steamvr ss or pd, the more pixels the gpu has to create and likely subsample to the headset. Their cumulative math for how much super sampling is happening is still unclear to me. As I only play dcs I use the global setting.

@eaglewings - I don’t think repro happens unless u edit the default.vrsettings file. If you haven’t edited and uncommented the line for motion reprojection, you are only getting the simple repro which doesn’t really do much.

Edited by Nagilem

@dpj463 - the difference between global and app is whether the steam applies the super sampling to every sreamvr app or specifically to one app. I think they are cumulative. In the end it comes down to driving pixels. The higher you drive steamvr ss or pd, the more pixels the gpu has to create and likely subsample to the headset. Their cumulative math for how much super sampling is happening is still unclear to me. As I only play dcs I use the global setting.

@eaglewings - I don’t think repro happens unless u edit the default.vrsettings file. If you haven’t edited and uncommented the line for motion reprojection, you are only getting the simple repro which doesn’t really do much.

Nagilem I really appreciate your effort to unravel this process in vr to us. I am getting it now.

May I know the editing I should do. Opened up the defaultvr. setting file and the reprojecttion is set to 'auto'.

Thanks.

@eaglewings - no worries. Glad it’s helping. the default.vrsettings should look like what is below. The // in front must be removed and the motionreprojecrionmode set accordingly. Mine is set to auto. I included the whole file for your review. Sorry for any typos. On my phone and my thumbs are a bit big for the soft keyboard. Ac isn’t always helpful either.

driver_Holographic" : {

// Increase back buffer size so that larger superscale values do not get a resolution reduction

"renderTargetScale" : 2.0

},

"driver_Holographic_Experimental" : {

// Motion reprojection doubles framerate through motion vector extrapolation

// motionvector = force application to always run at half framerate with motion vector reprojection

// auto = automatically use motion reprojection when the application can not maintain native framerate

"motionReprojectionMode" : "auto",

// Automatic motion reprojection indicator to display the mode currently selected

// green = off because application can render at full framerate

// light blue = on because application is cpu bound

// dark blue = on because application is gpu bound

// red = off because application running at less than half framerate

"motionReprojectionIndicatorEnabled" : true,

// Some people may experience increased discomfort such as nausea, motion sickness, dizziness,

// disorientation, headache, fatigue, or eye strain when using thumbstick controls in Windows Mixed Reality.

"thumbstickControlsEnabled" : false, // true = use thumbsticks for artificial turn/move, false = default application thumbstick behavior

"thumbstickControlsReversed" : false,

"thumbstickTurnSmooth" : false,

"thumbstickDeadzone" : 0.25,

// During some transitions (typically entering Home), controller events start accumulate and the system has difficulties to catch up

// Settings a mximum age for a contoller input allows ensuring that the events queue does not grow indefinitely

"obsoleteStateMaxTimeInSeconds": 1.0

},

"NoInterEyeRotation" : {

"DOOMVFRx64.exe" : true

}

}

@eaglewings - no worries. Glad it’s helping. the default.vrsettings should look like what is below. The // in front must be removed and the motionreprojecrionmode set accordingly. Mine is set to auto. I included the whole file for your review. Sorry for any typos. On my phone and my thumbs are a bit big for the soft keyboard. Ac isn’t always helpful either.

driver_Holographic" : {

// Increase back buffer size so that larger superscale values do not get a resolution reduction

"renderTargetScale" : 2.0

},

"driver_Holographic_Experimental" : {

// Motion reprojection doubles framerate through motion vector extrapolation

// motionvector = force application to always run at half framerate with motion vector reprojection

// auto = automatically use motion reprojection when the application can not maintain native framerate

"motionReprojectionMode" : "auto",

// Automatic motion reprojection indicator to display the mode currently selected

// green = off because application can render at full framerate

// light blue = on because application is cpu bound

// dark blue = on because application is gpu bound

// red = off because application running at less than half framerate

"motionReprojectionIndicatorEnabled" : true,

// Some people may experience increased discomfort such as nausea, motion sickness, dizziness,

// disorientation, headache, fatigue, or eye strain when using thumbstick controls in Windows Mixed Reality.

"thumbstickControlsEnabled" : false, // true = use thumbsticks for artificial turn/move, false = default application thumbstick behavior

"thumbstickControlsReversed" : false,

"thumbstickTurnSmooth" : false,

"thumbstickDeadzone" : 0.25,

// During some transitions (typically entering Home), controller events start accumulate and the system has difficulties to catch up

// Settings a mximum age for a contoller input allows ensuring that the events queue does not grow indefinitely

"obsoleteStateMaxTimeInSeconds": 1.0

},

"NoInterEyeRotation" : {

"DOOMVFRx64.exe" : true

}

}

Thanks once again for your time and effort.

My setting is exactly as you have posted. All parameters are same. Your post said I must remove the // in front.

There are quite a number if // in there. Am I to remove all the // in front all the parameters I see there?

Not all - just the ones in front of ”motionReprojecrionMode” : “auto”, line.

You can also get an indicator of the repro state in your headset with the “motionReprojectionIndicarorEnabled” : true, line uncommented.

Leave all the other lines the same.

• 4 months later...

Just got my Odyssey+ on new 9900k build... and yeah DCS was jumping around like crazy. Making the adjustments I saw were applying them to all SteamVR so need to recock and try that again since it was... disorienting.

Probably the reprojection setting though I believe they renamed it.

EDIT: apparently turning the mouse, etc on applied those settings in SteamVR which is bouncing around like crazy even though when I undid them in ED, it did NOT undo them in SteamVR. Similarly, though I undid the mouse selection in ED and "aim" with the pointer on the Odyssey+, now I have a mouse in Windows Mixed Reality Portal. Ugh.

EDIT2: Closing and restarting SteamVR and WMR Portal didn't do it but a reboot seemed to bring everything back. Phew. Is that normal behavior for the DCS mods? I would want the mouse, for example in DCS but not in general...

Edited by Uxi

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

2070OC on my new build appears to be defective. Running my old 970FTW for now until tomorrow when I return it for an exchange.

Beta for WMR for Steam VR alone got rid of the super jumping, though my old GPU can't handle settings turned up so a bit blurry. I did do a carrier launch in an A-4, which was cool.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

With the 970 wasn't able to get the PD past 1.0 without it jumping around. With the exchange 2070 am running 1.3 (went to 1.5 but didn't really notice a different so went back to 1.3) and everything look pretty good. Still need to dial in some with the input from this thread, but overall it's an entirely different experience.

Mostly playing the Community A-4 and FC3 F-15C and SU-27. Need to get the SU-57 "Felon" mod again since that was I was mostly playing 2D on my old X58 build with the 970... Planning on getting the F-14B for Christmas.

Specs & Wishlist:

• 2 months later...
This is quite interesting from Samsung.

There was no mention if there would be any upgrade in the resolution of lenses and FOV department.

But I am sure this new product if it ever get into the market would get some good features in resolution.

Edited by Eaglewings