** DCS: F-14 Manual Early Access Release!! **

Cobra847

RIO Left Instrument Panel - Airspeed indicator... numbers 6 an 7 are described but not shown in the image... may be on purpose?

VFA-113 | Stinger 307 | "Hank"

USN OEF OIF Veteran

i7-8700K OC'd 4800ghz | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC'd | 32gb RAM | 2.5TB SSD | Odyssey + | TM Warthog HOTAS |

Little error under Navigation System, 5th paragraph.

"Although from the crew member’s point of view, the INS is used mostly for navigation, it is also essential for proper operations of other aircraft equipment. For example, the attitude is necessary for the radar. The attitude and the own position are required for some weapon delivery modes, particularly for long shots. Even more distressing to the crew, a complete failure of the INS renders weapons such as the AIM-7 inoperable.

Think you mean "altitude".

http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html#navigation

Edited by WarHawk72

This manual is setting a new standard. AWESOME.

Please allow me to ask if the below is wrong or I should not read it at 4am (but EGT is rarely 1000+ so my best guess it is turbine inlet temp)

In the cockpit instruments section the TIT Turbine Inlet Temperature is mistakenly described as EGT.

"Displays engine RPM (High-pressure compressor rotor speed (N2)), EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperature) and FF (Fuel Flow) for respective engine."

https://heatblur.se/F-14Manual/_images/instrument-group.png

https://heatblur.se/F-14Manual/cockpit.html

[sIGPIC]http://www.forum.lockon.ru/signaturepics/sigpic5279_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

I could shot down a Kitchen :smartass:

This manual is setting a new standard. AWESOME.

Please allow me to ask if the below is wrong or I should not read it at 4am (but EGT is rarely 1000+ so my best guess it is turbine inlet temp)

In the cockpit instruments section the TIT Turbine Inlet Temperature is mistakenly described as EGT.

"Displays engine RPM (High-pressure compressor rotor speed (N2)), EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperature) and FF (Fuel Flow) for respective engine."

https://heatblur.se/F-14Manual/_images/instrument-group.png

https://heatblur.se/F-14Manual/cockpit.html

Right under the picture is Note: Image shows TF-30 engine instruments, F110 EIG coming soon.

Little error under Navigation System, 5th paragraph.

"Although from the crew member’s point of view, the INS is used mostly for navigation, it is also essential for proper operations of other aircraft equipment. For example, the attitude is necessary for the radar. The attitude and the own position are required for some weapon delivery modes, particularly for long shots. Even more distressing to the crew, a complete failure of the INS renders weapons such as the AIM-7 inoperable.

Think you mean "altitude".

http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html#navigation

I’m quite sure both are meant to be attitude. The INS and associated systems are the only way the WCS knows how the aircraft is oriented.

Similarly, if the IMU fails or is not adequately aligned, the VDI pitch ladder and heading tapes will not function properly (same for the HUD). This is true IRL and in game - so don’t skip INS alignment. ;)

-Nick

Yeah but would that not be based on a aircraft's altitude, not it's attitude. Unless there is a different meaning for attitude for aircraft/INS systems. To me Attitude: a settled way of thinking or feeling about something or truculent or uncooperative behaviour.

Hi WarHawk,

thank you for your feedback, in fact we do mean attitude, not altitude. Attitude of course also means what you just mentioned (in relation to human behaviour), with aircraft however it defines the logitudional axis of the plane in relation to the local vertical.

The attitude is the aircraft's velocity and orientation in space, defined by 3 factors: heading or yaw (around the yaw axis), pitch and roll. This attitude is usually understood in reference to magnetic North.

Attitude + own position allow the nav systems to compute the necessary computations for precise navigation, weapons employment, radar use and much more.

Hope that helps!

PS: Altitude is of course also a factor in navigation.

Edited by IronMike

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Hi WarHawk,

thank you for your feedback, in fact we do mean attitude, not altitude. Attitude of course also means what you just mentioned (in relation to human behaviour), with aircraft however it defines the logitudional axis of the plane in relation to the local vertical.

The attitude is the aircraft's velocity and orientation in space, defined by 3 factors: heading or yaw (around the yaw axis), pitch and roll. This attitude is usually understood in reference to magnetic North.

Attitude + own position allow the nav systems to compute the necessary computations for precise navigation, weapons employment, radar use and much more.

Ah thanks for clearing that up for me, appreciate your time in explaining it for me. I have dyslexia so i get confused sometimes. Just looked weird to me that's all.

Thanks again.

Just great! So you imagine a neat, informative manual!

Here are some 3rd party manufacturers here in DCS World should take an example of how to do it right ...

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

After having made it through the RIO cockpit section, I have the determination that this module will be wayyy more hardcore than the A10C.

As a matter of fact, this will be the toughest DCS module to date.

Edit: Startup is going to be a biiiaaaaatttch

Edited by F14luvr

Thanks for all the hard work HB. I’m very much looking forward to this module!

The above is the greatest understatement of the century!!

Salute!

| FC3 | KA-50 | A-10C | MIG-21Bis | F-86F | UH-1H | HAWK T.1A | F/A-18C | AV-8B N\A | F-14B | F-16C | AJS-37 | CA | NEVADA | PERSIAN GULF | SUPER CARRIER | SYRIA

After having made it through the RIO cockpit section, I have the determination that this module will be wayyy more hardcore than the A10C.

As a matter of fact, this will be the toughest DCS module to date.

Edit: Startup is going to be a biiiaaaaatttch

I think you are a little bit off the mark. However I do think that it will probably be the hardest module to master, especially from the back seat. Just understanding how the radar works to operate it efficiently will require more than just a read through of the manual. Much. More. :thumbup:

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

+1 for PDF format - but I understand why you have gone with the format you have to enable active updates to the document without having to amend and re-issue the PDF frequently.

Also in the Cockpit Layout section, ACM Panel, the HOT TRIG and SEAM LOCK indicator and function descriptions are transposed.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Servopneumatic altimeter:

Note: At high speeds and below 10,000 feet, due to pressure changes, Altimetry errors as high as 1,200 feet (transonic) and as low as 4,000 feet (supersonic) can occur.

This part should be rewritten as it's confusing IMHO (e.g. one could get an impression that at supersonic, the minimum reading error is 4000 feet).

E.g. to something like:

Altimeter errors as much as 1,200 feet above (transonic flight) or 4000 feet below (supersonic flight) the actual aircraft altitude can occur.

This is from the F-14B NATOPS:

"The primary (servoed) mode altimeter readings may be erroneous below 10,000 feet. In transonic flight, these errors could be as much as 1,200 feet above the actual aircraft altitude mean sea level (i.e., the aircraft is lower than the altimeter indicates). In supersonic flight, these errors could be as much as 4,000 feet below the actual aircraft altitude mean sea level (i.e., the aircraft is higher than the altimeter indicates). Refer to servoed altimeter residual error correction chart, NAVAIR 01-F14AAP-1.1."

I guess the name should also contain a dash in between (Servo-pneumatic Altimeter as in NATOPS).

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

UHF/VHF Remote Indicators chapter, for the UHF panel, the description mentions BRT, but the image shows the control labeled as DIM.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!