Rocket Pod Fairings

Silver Dart Sims

Rocket pod frangible fairings for the Zunis, LAU-61’s, and LAU-68’s, break off when first rocket is launched on pod. It would lower the drag index of said pod for example NATOPS performance manual tells me the drag index without the fairing is 12.0 and with a fairing is only 3.0.

• Like 1

I've asked for those a long time ago as well, but never got any official response to it. The reason I did was mainly that at least the LAU-3s on both the F-5E-3 and the AV-8B/NA do have those fairings already, but I actually don't know if the different drag is already modelled - TBH I think it's not, which might be the reason we still don't have them over here. For that to be possible, one weapon type would need to have different drag indexes for different states (fairings on, and to be exact, different values for every possible rocket count from zero to max) to really get it real. I guess it's just not that complex yet.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

• 2 years later...

The fairings are part of the ZUNI/Rockets launchers and should bepresent in DCS. Doesnt relly matter if it was used or not for cost saving reasons. Fairings are desribed in almost every rocket lanucher article I found on web. Like here: https://www.tpub.com/aviord321/31.htm

Without fairings, the drag of the launchers is HUGE with high negative performance impact on long or fast fights to/from target.

"Launchers can be fitted with forward and aft frangible fairings (as required) depending on overall rocket length for airborne configuration.
"The forward frangible fairing disintegrates on rocket impact and the rear fairing acts as a funnel to direct debris away from the launch aircraft."

Question is, how it should look like in the end in mission editor:

a) add one more line to arming window with rocket pods fitted with additional front+aft fairings - my preferred option

b) clickable option in group special tab ( like HMCS/NWG is)

Edited by GumidekCZ