Simmodders.org - to be abandoned ?

golfsierra2

On September 19, 2009, simmodders.org was put online. The website was aiming at re-establishing the well-known simmod website, which had gone off line before due to various reasons.

The acceptance was moderate during the first months, and some of the known modders and skinners actually registered at simmodders.org. However, the site could not continue with the same impact and importance that simmod had shown previously. Simmodders.org was planned to serve as a hub for information exchange between the most talented and active modders and skinners and to serve as a focal point of information about work-in-progress (WIP) projects for Lock-On and DCS.

In fact, there was no new posting during the last 6 months, and I doubt that the website will see any action in the future.

So, unless the Lock-On / DCS community shows some substantial interest by utilizing the web site, it will go off the air at the end of the year.

The web site not only offers a forum for information exchange between modders and skinners, including a hidden WIP section only accessible to dedicated members after approval, but also provides a Wikipedia, which is supposed to collect all technical solutions, modding advices and file explanations for Lock-On. Presently, it is filled with some data retrieved from the abandoned simmod web site.

If you want to see simmodders.org online in 2011 and beyound, make use of it or it will vanish like simmod did before.

http://www.simmodders.org/

Edited by golfsierra2

kind regards,

Raven....

[sigpic]http://www.crc-mindreader.de/CRT/images/Birds2011.gif[/sigpic]

If you're looking for more forum traffic you might want to consider changing the color of your forum link to something other than a completely unreadable white on bright yellow box. :)

Thanks for pointing this out. It was the same layout that the original site used. I now modified it, but you had found out yourself before - like others did as well. The link color is not the problem here...

kind regards,

Raven....

If you're looking for more forum traffic you might want to consider changing the color of your forum link to something other than a completely unreadable white on bright yellow box. :)

I agree

For a talented skinner and modder of Lockon/DCS "focal point" it needs a complete redesign layout for easier navigation. To be honest the first time I visited simmoders.org I was stunned by the bad layout.

Just to be clear here - I'm not judging anybody, just sharing my 2 cents. If you plan to do something about your problem, redesigning your site should be the no.1 priority in your plans.

Intel i7 12700k / Corsair H150i Elite Capellix / Asus TUF Z690 Wifi D4 / Corsair Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz / Corsair HW1000W / 1x Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 500Gb + 1 Corsair MP600 1TB / ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC V2 / Fractal Design Meshify 2 / HOTAS Warthog / TFRP Rudder / TrackIR 5 / Dell U2515h 25" Monitor 1440p

I agree

For a talented skinner and modder of Lockon/DCS "focal point" it needs a complete redesign layout for easier navigation. To be honest the first time I visited simmoders.org I was stunned by the bad layout.

Just to be clear here - I'm not judging anybody, just sharing my 2 cents. If you plan to do something about your problem, redesigning your site should be the no.1 priority in your plans.

Whole heartedly agree with that. A good mate of mine in the 104th (Mustang), used to be with Simmoders. He'd roll around on glass if he saw that site.

There are plenty of good Web templates if you can't or havn't got the time to code raw, but Innerloop is completely right. Re-design that site as a priority.

I'd like to offer to help. Please PM me so we can arrange a time to TS and discuss.

Regards

'T'

Come pay us a visit on YouTube - search for HELI SHED

Main Banner.PNG

As a side note: It had the same "ugly" design when it was very active back in the days. So the reason why it got calm over there must be somewhere else. Of course a redone design would maybe attract new members to join.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming, Intel Core i7 9700k , 32gb Corsair DDR4-3200

Asus RTX 2070 super, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, Win10 64bit, Acer XZ321QU (WQHD)

TM HOTAS Warthog, SAITEK Rudder Pedals, TIR 5

Honestly the success of the original Sim-mod site was based around what they were working on as a group. There was lots of excitement around the A-10A model Yenceri was making and all of the contributions everyone on that team put into it. After it was released some of the crazy good texture mods and the Airbase mod really had peoples attention.... then it seemingly all fell apart. I hate to sound cynical about it, but right now, there really isn't that large of a reason to use the site. Most mods don't encompass massive projects like what they did, and even if the mod is like that all info is either here or at a different site.

If lots of people started to contribute to the site, maybe adding to its wiki, things might improve. But as you say, if nothing major changes, might as well shut its doors.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Like JaboG32_ Laud wrote

It had the same "ugly" design when it was very active back in the days.

and I don't have a 'problem' with the web site. I put it online because some fellow modders expressed that it was a pity that simmod had gone offline, so I tried to bring that platform back.

A good mate of mine in the 104th (Mustang), used to be with Simmoders. He'd roll around on glass if he saw that site.

So your good mate had seen that site layout before and obviously didn't complain about it, because it wasn't changed while simmod was online.

And as Grimes wrote,

... the success of the original Sim-mod site was based around what they were working on as a group. There was lots of excitement around the A-10A model Yenceri was making and all of the contributions everyone on that team put into it. After it was released some of the crazy good texture mods and the Airbase mod really had peoples attention.... then it seemingly all fell apart. I hate to sound cynical about it, but right now, there really isn't that large of a reason to use the site. Most mods don't encompass massive projects like what they did, and even if the mod is like that all info is either here or at a different site.

If lots of people started to contribute to the site, maybe adding to its wiki, things might improve. But as you say, if nothing major changes, might as well shut its doors....

... which is very likey to happen.

If there is no reason for providing a specialized modders/skinners platform anymore, it will go away. But that is something the modders/skinners of the community have to decide.

Edited by golfsierra2

kind regards,

Raven....

Once again, so that everybody understands what this is all about:

The website was "rescued" by golfsierra2. He's not the initiator or owner of the contents, just the one who gave it a new home so it won't disappear. When he now asks if anybody is further interested, he doesn't try to advertise HIS website/forums. He just wants to know if it needs to be kept "rescued" or not. I hope everybody understands now what the motivation of this thread was/is.

Felt the need to clear this up, while watching the discussion here...

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming, Intel Core i7 9700k , 32gb Corsair DDR4-3200

Asus RTX 2070 super, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, Win10 64bit, Acer XZ321QU (WQHD)

TM HOTAS Warthog, SAITEK Rudder Pedals, TIR 5

Once again, so that everybody understands what this is all about:

The website was "rescued" by golfsierra2. He's not the initiator or owner of the contents, just the one who gave it a new home so it won't disappear. When he now asks if anybody is further interested, he doesn't try to advertise HIS website/forums. He just wants to know if it needs to be kept "rescued" or not. I hope everybody understands now what the motivation of this thread was/is.

Felt the need to clear this up, while watching the discussion here...

Fairplay................:thumbup:

Come pay us a visit on YouTube - search for HELI SHED

Main Banner.PNG

I recall the good times...Yeniceri working on the A-10A model, 3GO SkieRider creating the Su-27, Luckybob and co working on the Nevada terrain for FC, Grandsurf and his legendary airbase modding, all a distant memory now.

I do often wonder what went wrong.

Edited by Mustang

I use to go to that site often, then they had issues and people left the team. After that the site went down and disappeared for a while. They had som many talented people working on great things.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

I recall the good times...Yeniceri working on the A-10A model, 3GO SkieRider creating the Su-27, Luckybob and co working on the Nevada terrain for FC, Grandsurf and his legendary airbase modding, all a distant memory now.

I do often wonder what went wrong.

I know all mods have been released... but ... what happened to Grandsurf's airbase mod? It had been promised a long way before Black Shark was released....:)

• Like 1

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ