Future proofing DCS

Wait4It

So, this is probably the golden age for flight simming with a lot of interesting aircraft coming out and enough ways for third parties to generate funds.

But my question is, what will happen when all the most popular aircraft have been modelled. How will DCS generate enough income to continue existence for many years?

With the current model of buy once, get continuous support, what will you buy once you have your 10 favourite aircraft.

I hope to see my grandkids simming after all.

Any thoughts?

All the most popular aircraft?

Just look at how many aircraft request threads exist to get an idea of the sheer number of options available. Then also take a look at "other" flight sims (commercial and combat) to gain an idea of the number of possible aircraft that could be introduced. Finally, consider how long it takes to develop an aircraft for DCS. I think you'd need a good decade to deal with every request already on here.

Of more concern to myself would be to ensure that current aircraft in game will continue to be fully compatible with updates to the game engine for the next few years.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Finally, consider how long it takes to develop an aircraft for DCS. I think you'd need a good decade to deal with every request already on here.

More like a century. DCS is already more than 10 years old and while growth is certainly faster than linear, there's still lot of stuff undone.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

I wouldn't worry about it yet.

Popular is a little bit overrated by some people. First off, only a few of the popular aircraft are done. There are many more from many more eras.

Secondly, some of greatest DCS modules are less-than popular, or even obscure aircraft, and yet have garnered quite a community around themselves. It is the quality at which the aircraft is realized in digital form, and the unique taste every aircraft provides that makes DCS special.

Finally, even looking at only the popular aircraft themselves, while the speed of sales obviously drop after a while, it's not like they stop selling. New faces join the flight sim world, and people who discover DCS keep buying existing modules, and tell their friends about those modules.

Now, looking past the aircraft modules themselves, ED and 3rd parties also make an income through other products: there are campaigns, additional systems like garmin GPS, and maps. Seeing as maps are just picking up the pace, there's a lot more of them that can be developed.

One other thing I predict, eventually, I believe that we will start to see additional variants of existing modules being developed as separate products or paid upgrades. I would look forward to that to be honest. Why miss out, for example, between either a well upgraded 80s F-4E, and a Vietnam era one? Or, after a couple years of using the Mi-24P, why not let those fellows who keep yelling about a Mi-24V to finally torture themselves with a 12.7mm popgun :D?

One more thing, while some people cry for the moon about them, non-combat, even civilian aircraft have made their debut in DCS. This was another thing I have long expected to happen, and I do think they will keep trickling every now and then. There are many iconic aircraft from that are too, and I believe that they will pull fresh faces to DCS ecosystem in time. Some of those faces will, inevitably wet their thumbs in combat oriented modules too.

If anything, seeing it only as a done-deal with doing only the popular faces would be a time-limited endeavor, and ED, as well as the 3rd parties, seem to understand that (unlike most of the community :P). Or, as the OP seem to hint, a model of "buy once, pay more, and then some more later" will probably lead to a mass exodus from community, as well as a pretty bad PR.

As things stand, all I see is a lot more in store for DCS' future commercial sustenance. It doesn't look like any extreme act for future proofing is necessary, or even productive to do.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

You can add features, not only modules. Lure in more people by polishing everything. Make it more accessible. Build huge multiplayer scenarios. Work on tech that will allow to connect maps together. Sell content for the aircrafts, like whole war scenarios like Vietnam etc.

There is TON of things to add.

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

They are called by reason as "modules" instead "aircrafts", because usual module being individual simulator of specific aircraft, they can be something else too like terrains etc.

The money maker is the DCS World, the "hub" where each "module" gets connected. And that is what people actually pay for, not for the individual aircrafts but for the whole experience.

This same question could always be asked, what when the X-Plane is "done"?

Lots of things can be added, it is just a huge digital combat simulator, not a couple aircrafts flight sim.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

But my question is, what will happen when all the most popular aircraft have been modelled. How will DCS generate enough income to continue existence for many years?

With the current model of buy once, get continuous support, what will you buy once you have your 10 favourite aircraft.

For one thing, I have spent WAY more money on DCS than on any other game... :music_whistling:

And not nearly all aircraft that I'm interested in are presently available in DCS.

My problem however is that I don't have the time to learn all modules that I own already. Not by a LONG shot... I am more or less proficient with the Albatros. With the MiG-15 and the Viggen on a lower level where I can do basic combat but not much else. The other modules, well, I very occasionally fly them, but not nearly enough to become proficient.

At this moment, I would be more interested in other theatres than other aircraft for this reason.

But I'm still getting the MiG-19 when it becomes available.

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

Compared to other titles trying to create "Worlds", i.e. the tank and ships variety of arcade bent etc. DCS World is far more engaging and comprehensive. Trust me, I dabbled for a bit in the aforementioned games, and tired of the toxicity, simple mechanics, and unrealistic "balancing" that constantly took place. Point being, in DCS, Worlds and integration of them will create so many new avenues for simmers and fans of this title to explore, I see unlimited potential for growth here. Even maybe snagging some of the arcade types over from the titles mentioned.

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

You guys make some excellent points. As long as you keep the modules updated you can sell them to new players.

I would certainly not mind if they add more stuff for a broader playerbase, such as civilian planes or maybe better land or sea combat modules.

Even the less-fidelity modules are a great idea on the business side.

I too have many modules and start getting more selective, but can always be tempted for new stuff.

I hope they keep the momentum going and continue releasing/supporting the high fidelity modules for a long time to come.

Edited by Wait4It