Why different render distance cockpit - F2 view?

unknown

I noticed this a couple of days ago doing a bombing mission in the Mig-21 but forgot to test this further. Today i noticed this again and did a couple of screenshots. Why is the object rendering distance different from the cockpit view to the F2 view? Even the enemy bomber is clearly rendered bigger from the F2 view compared to the cockpit view. All 3 screenshots were taken with the game paused - same object positions.

My ingame settings:

https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=204579&d=1550307413

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

FoV - Field of view. You can get the bomber to display at the same size by using the * key on your keypad. But using it on your external view changes the distance of the camera to your plane. It does not control zoom. I can't remember the actual controls for zoom for the external views, I don't think I ever used them.

Don't think that is what OP means. When he uses standard view the bomber on F2 view is bigger then in standard view in cockpit. Perspective wise the bomber in cockpit should be bigger then in F2 view because your viewpoint is closer to the subject. Not smaller as shown in pictures.

My two cents. I have no answer to the OP's question though.

If i use the * / or rctrl + * / it zooms in and out, i have mapped the zoom on one of my hotas axis. My point is why can i see objects on the island from the outside view but not from the cockpit view? And like RedeyeStorm said, why is the bomber bigger in the F2 view than in the cockpit view? Is this because of FOV?

Next example:

Pic 1 - F2 view - you can see the marked objects on the island

Pic 2 - F1 view - zoomed in a lot to see the objects on the island

Pic 3 - F1 view - this is my "zoom - level" i use because i can see most of the things in the cockpit, but i can't see the objects on the island anymore

The zoom level of Pic 2 is not very comfortable on my 32" 21:9 monitor, it's just to close.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

That is a good question, though, i'Ve never paid attention to the difference, as in cockpit i want to see stuff as they would in RL, and when i'm in F2 view it's usualy for screenshots, so seing more details in the bakground for the same distance i don't mind as it makes nicer screenshots, even, usualy what i do in F2 view, i play with RCTL + * and / on NumPad especially for that reason, to zoom in a bit on the background to give more details on the background behind the aircrafts.

But agian, not sure why it's different, possibly also seing in F2, allows more detials to be seing as the exterior models might take less juice to draw than the entire HR cockpit.... dunno

Yes, it's FoV related, as is quite obvious with a little observation. The island is about the same size in pic 1 and 2. You're zoomed way out in pic 3, the island is clearly smaller. FoV effectively changes your relative distance to target (camera wise) triggering different LoDs (levels of detail). These are the stages where objects rendering at lower detail or derender altogether. You are right on the edge of visibility from the game's perspective, so fly closer and they'll render, zoom in slightly and they render, zoom out slightly and they derender.

For target acquisition you should generally zoom in slightly, for general navigation you can do whatever, as a work around. The LoDs are done kind of screwy, but I don't expect it to change as it involves going into each of the several thousand models we have and creating new ones.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Yes, it's FoV related, as is quite obvious with a little observation. The island is about the same size in pic 1 and 2. You're zoomed way out in pic 3, the island is clearly smaller. FoV effectively changes your relative distance to target (camera wise) triggering different LoDs (levels of detail). These are the stages where objects rendering at lower detail or derender altogether. You are right on the edge of visibility from the game's perspective, so fly closer and they'll render, zoom in slightly and they render, zoom out slightly and they derender.

For target acquisition you should generally zoom in slightly, for general navigation you can do whatever, as a work around. The LoDs are done kind of screwy, but I don't expect it to change as it involves going into each of the several thousand models we have and creating new ones.

Hm, sounds logical what you say....but do they need to remodel all objects to adjust the LoD? Isn't it more like adjusting values in a cfg file at what ranges what LoD is used? Would be interesting to know if we could increase the rendering distance for objects....or that the LoD is dependent of the distance to the player object instead of the zoom level.

Some of it seems to be that the treated(?) glass of the hud kills detail. Look at that grey area on the island just to the right of the hud. It looks pretty much the same to me F2 or the first F1 view. Of course it is smaller and not as clear in the zoomed out F1 view.

a nice simple demonstration of FOV

the narrow fov looks slower and more zoomed in than the wider FOV.

the wider fov seems a lot faster even though the time to cover the corridor is the same.

the view of the window at the end is very different too. different zoom.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

Sorry I don't mean to say it so bluntly. But I have to.... you are wrong. As are quite a few people on this thread that don't understand how the change in the FoV of focal lens actually changes the image seen through a camera or a telescope. The standart Cockpit view and standart extenal view are not at the same FoV, and that is why they are viewed at diferent sizes. Distance to the object makes little to no diference.

If you move your head closer to something that is quite close to you a meter or so away, even 10cm closer, thats a 10% cut from the total distance. But sitting on the cockpit or 10-20 metters behind the plane, makes little diference diference, to an object 6-7 miles away.

What does make a diference is FoV. And FoV affects the aparent size of objects diferently at diferent distances. This became is very aparent in some pictures taken with narrow angle tele-objective, where there is background in the photo that is much farther away than the subject of the photo. If you know the real place location, this will be very aparent to you, as the background will appear much bigger in the photograph than it should be visible from that location. But the reason this happens is because it's all contained in the very narrow field of view of the camera.

Now a fun little experience for those of you who are still doubtefull to try.

Do like the OP did in his second post in this thread did. And take a plane to that island. But fly closer this time. Until as you fly close enough for the edges of the island on each side are just about touching the sides of your screen. Then pause, and switch to your outside view, you will see, that even beeing now on the viewpoint of several meters behind your plane, you can actually see much less of the island. Even worst try to distance yourself from the plane even further by using "/" on your keypad, you will see your plane shriking rapidly, and the island remaining preaty much the same.

Yes it is all because of FoV, and yes I did answer the OP question. Belive it, don't belive it, it's all the same to me.

It's not factually correct that Zoom/FoV change changes your/camera distance to a viewed object. In fact the two are quite diferent. But for the matter of this subject you are not entirely wrong, as I belive that LOD level is directly tied to square pixels ocupied by the object on screen. So not exactly distance, but something to that effect.

Sorry I don't mean to say it so bluntly. But I have to.... you are wrong. As are quite a few people on this thread that don't understand how the change in the FoV of focal lens actually changes the image seen through a camera or a telescope. The standart Cockpit view and standart extenal view are not at the same FoV, and that is why they are viewed at diferent sizes. Distance to the object makes little to no diference.

If you move your head closer to something that is quite close to you a meter or so away, even 10cm closer, thats a 10% cut from the total distance. But sitting on the cockpit or 10-20 metters behind the plane, makes little diference diference, to an object 6-7 miles away.

What does make a diference is FoV. And FoV affects the aparent size of objects diferently at diferent distances. This became is very aparent in some pictures taken with narrow angle tele-objective, where there is background in the photo that is much farther away than the subject of the photo. If you know the real place location, this will be very aparent to you, as the background will appear much bigger in the photograph than it should be visible from that location. But the reason this happens is because it's all contained in the very narrow field of view of the camera.

Now a fun little experience for those of you who are still doubtefull to try.

Do like the OP did in his second post in this thread did. And take a plane to that island. But fly closer this time. Until as you fly close enough for the edges of the island on each side are just about touching the sides of your screen. Then pause, and switch to your outside view, you will see, that even beeing now on the viewpoint of several meters behind your plane, you can actually see much less of the island. Even worst try to distance yourself from the plane even further by using "/" on your keypad, you will see your plane shriking rapidly, and the island remaining preaty much the same.

Yes it is all because of FoV, and yes I did answer the OP question. Belive it, don't belive it, it's all the same to me.

Thanks lxsapper :thumbup: :beer:

Objects In View Are Not As Close (To Each Other) As They Appear...

1000mm with aircraft about two miles away:

p1397472118.jpg

1000mm with aircraft roughly ten miles away:

p2729338489.jpg

1000mm with aircraft roughly 40 miles away:

p991975987.jpg

Note that the moon, at a fixed distance, is roughly the same size in each photo. The operative word here is “Compression” which is what you get when you zoom in from a fixed point.

(Slight variation due to cropping)

((My photos))

Edited by Emmy

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

Was not talking about the render distance, but LoD (or even Render distance) as a function of render distance. It's not tied to distance, like you very well observed, but to how many pixels the object is suposed to be when rendered at that distance and FoV.