frequent stutter & freeze - Page 8 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-04-2017, 12:51 AM   #71
watermanpc

Reputation power: 14
watermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of light

Wow, thats a hell of a good testing tools mate, pretty much all good test soft is there so cant give you any more info you don't know buddy...

About your system well, its a top notch one you should be able to play normandy maxed out with 2 or 4x MSAA at 1440p no problems so something might be wrong with your installation and/or windows if other titles runs fine...try installing dcs in other path or different disk (just copy-paste the installation and run it) or make sure there is no driver issues nor some software interfering with dcs which may cause the crash...I know its a pain in the neck but you will have to analize everything (hardware, windows, system errors, antiviruses, drivers, disk,etc) everytime you have a crash anf look for the culprit...hope you can fix it buddy!
-ULTRA Weathered F-5 skin here
-Increased Heat Blur distance and quality here
watermanpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:49 PM   #72
RedShoes

Reputation power: 3
RedShoes is on a distinguished road

DCS update from today DCS/2.1.1.10527 (x86_64; Windows/10.0.15063)
nVidia drivers from couple of days ago 387.92

The game freeze problem still occurring

I run my little single player Normandy furball mission (attached) 9 times and every time I got a complete game freeze within ~15-20 minutes. Couple of times very fast within just couple of minutes of flying.

During testing I changed my setup as follows;
- dcs update to 2.1.1.10527...game freeze
- DisplayDriverUninstaller and re-install of nVidia drivers 387.92, dcs_updater cleanup, repair and update...game freeze
- nvidia max pre-render frames to 4...game freeze
- nvidia max pre-render frames back to 1, disable g-synch....game freeze
- removed my OC CPU i7-4790K 4.8GHz & gtx1080Ti 2000MHz to defaults. Load MB BIOS Optimal Defaults (+disable intel integrated graphics)....game freeze
- enabled g-synch again. Removed and disconnected power to my extra HDD, DVD drive and extra SSD. Now only my Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD connected to my system....game freeze
- disconnected TrackIR. Using Joystick hat switch for looking arround....game freeze
- disconnected my pedals, throttle quadrant, only MS Sidewinder II FFB stick, keyboard and mouse connected to my PC USB...game freeze

earlier I have done among other things;
- complete windows re-install
- complete DCS 2.1 re-install (incl. downloading)
- complete windows and DCS re-install on a different SSD drive
- changed my motherboard
- tried a different graphics card (Gigabyte GTX980 windforce) instead of my current GTX 1080Ti
- flew around only with keyboard and mouse, no USB flight controllers connected to my PC
- tried a different monitor (BenQ XL2411z w 1920x1080 resolution)
- I tried under-clocking my CPU to 3.8GHz or 3.6 GHz and GPU by 100, 150 or 200MHz.

nothing seems to help. This game just keeps freezing on me. Other games incl. DCS 1.5.7 does not have this problem.

To me this is some kind of DCS 2.1 game engine / graphics engine freeze.

One day last week I run a test where I run DCS in windowed mode 1920x1080. Next to DCS I had Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0 running in windowed mode 1280x960. It all fits nicely on my 3440x1440 display.
The both of them were running fine. I could play DCS normally and Heaven Benchmark was running on the window next to it....until my typical DCS game freeze occurred. As DCS froze up, the Heaven Benchmark just kept running and now it was getting much better fps as it did not have to share the GPU resources with DCS.
That all means to me; it's not my PC, it's DCS 2.1 graphics engine that is the problem.

...but then again, there are people that do not have this game freeze problem. I wish I could find out WTF it is?! ...and get DCS 2.1 running stably also for me.
Attached Files
File Type: miz Bf109 BnZ a furball.miz (10.9 KB, 1 views)
MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | i7-4790K | 32GB DDR3 2400 | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE | EKWB custom loop water cooling | Samsung M.2 EVO 960 500GB SSD + 2 x Crucial 250MX SSD + 4TB HD | Asus PG348Q 3440x1440 | TrackIR5 | Oculus Rift CV1 | MSFFB2 w extension + Saitek X52 Throttle + MFG Crosswind | Windows 10-64

Last edited by RedShoes; 10-11-2017 at 09:51 PM. Reason: attached the mission file
RedShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:37 PM   #73
RedShoes

One more note;

sometimes when DCS 2.1 freezes it is shown as "not responding" in windows task manager.
sometimes it is shown as "running" in the task manager.

When the game is frozen, but shown as "running" in the task manager, I still have the yellow cross mouse cursor and it keep moving as I move the mouse....and it still keeps updating the Frame rate counter + service info ("LCtrl+Pause" to enable).about every 4 seconds.

I'm attaching 5 screenshots taken in this state.
-FPS is always zero
- Time is always the same
- but some service info parameters for example Frame Time, Update, Main, Simulation and Video mem,.... are changing.

no idea what all those parameters mean, but something is still clearly running in DCS game engine and able to display this changing info, but the main graphics engine is not providing new frames to the graphics card. When this game freeze occurs, my graphics card load basically drops to zero.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen_171012_001255.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	898.2 KB
ID:	170573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen_171012_001259.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	897.8 KB
ID:	170574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen_171012_001302.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	897.8 KB
ID:	170575  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen_171012_001306.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	897.9 KB
ID:	170576   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen_171012_001310.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	897.9 KB
ID:	170577  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Logs (4).zip (26.7 KB, 2 views)
MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | i7-4790K | 32GB DDR3 2400 | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE | EKWB custom loop water cooling | Samsung M.2 EVO 960 500GB SSD + 2 x Crucial 250MX SSD + 4TB HD | Asus PG348Q 3440x1440 | TrackIR5 | Oculus Rift CV1 | MSFFB2 w extension + Saitek X52 Throttle + MFG Crosswind | Windows 10-64

Last edited by RedShoes; 10-11-2017 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:46 AM   #74
Ghostrider142

Reputation power: 1
Ghostrider142 is on a distinguished road

That really sucks. I uninstalled Normandy and play in NTTR and 1.5.6 for the time being. Normandy has issues, it's not just you.

The only thing I can think of is set everything back to default, use the latest drivers and don't use Nvidia to override the graphics in DCS, just use DCS settings and set DCS priority to 'High' in Task manager.
Also check what I did here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=193126

Wish you luck
Old 10-12-2017, 05:47 AM   #75
cthulhu68

Reputation power: 6
cthulhu68 is a jewel in the roughcthulhu68 is a jewel in the roughcthulhu68 is a jewel in the roughcthulhu68 is a jewel in the roughcthulhu68 is a jewel in the roughcthulhu68 is a jewel in the roughcthulhu68 is a jewel in the roughcthulhu68 is a jewel in the rough

I'm definitely seeing an improvement in stuttering issues I had with a Omaha Beach Mission I was building. It had the every second or so stutter and was absolutely unplayable but now runs stutter-free. The air defense radar issue mentioned in changelog may have been the cause in this case. Guess I can forge ahead and finish mission now.
cthulhu68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:33 PM   #76
Burning Bridges

Reputation power: 2
Burning Bridges is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjacobsen View Post
They would tell You that this is a alpha version and issues certainly will exist.
Ah, ok I guess I stick with NTTR for the time being. That way also maximizing my investment as it had been sitting unused on my HD for a year.

Btw I had three crashes in NTTR too (DCS.exe does not respond) and in rather quick succession (20 min) with different planes. But since I generated new missions, verified DCS installation and installed the latest Nvidia driver it has not occured again in many hours. But I can already see people going from "when is 2.5 released" to "when are the 2.5 bugs fixed" right away
Burning Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:30 AM   #77
RedShoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider142 View Post
That really sucks. I uninstalled Normandy and play in NTTR and 1.5.6 for the time being. Normandy has issues, it's not just you.

The only thing I can think of is set everything back to default, use the latest drivers and don't use Nvidia to override the graphics in DCS, just use DCS settings and set DCS priority to 'High' in Task manager.
Also check what I did here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=193126

Wish you luck
Thanks, I have seen your thread earlier and already tried exact same settings as you are documenting there. Unfortunately no help for me
I'll give it an another try now with this current DCS 2.1.1 patch version....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Bridges View Post
Ah, ok I guess I stick with NTTR for the time being. That way also maximizing my investment as it had been sitting unused on my HD for a year.

Btw I had three crashes in NTTR too (DCS.exe does not respond) and in rather quick succession (20 min) with different planes. But since I generated new missions, verified DCS installation and installed the latest Nvidia driver it has not occured again in many hours. But I can already see people going from "when is 2.5 released" to "when are the 2.5 bugs fixed" right away
I have the same game freeze issue also in NTTR.
I purchased NTTR couple of weeks back on sale just to try this out. Unfortunately, no luck.
I reported my freeze on "DCS 2.1 hangs up after some minutes of play" thread https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...&postcount=181

My current problem is not really the micro stutters (I do still get small stutters every now and then). The real problem for me is currently the complete game freeze. Occurs both in single player missions or on multiplayer servers.

I'll keep on testing and trying out different settings / PC configuration and new nvidia drivers or DCS 2.1 versions as they come available and report if I find anything.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:25 PM   #78
Burning Bridges

I am not sure this is the exact same thing though. Is there a window "DCS is no longer responding" (which I dont know the exact text because I am on German Windows) or does it just freeze requiring you to Alt Tab and kill with the taskmanager?

I can also report that the error has not come back so my suspicion it happens at the borders of the Nevada map, as this is where I was flying at the time of the crashes.

And off topic .. I see you have a M2 960 EVO, since I am myself thinking about that too, did it improve your DCS mini stuttering and external views or is it the same as a normal SATA SSD?? Really curious to hear that because of the price difference.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:30 PM   #79
RedShoes

No, the problem I'm experiencing both on Normandy and NTTR is that DCS game just freezes. The problem feels more prominent, more frequent in Normandy, but I have been playing and testing much more in Normandy than NTTR.
Sometimes it shows "Running" in windows task manager, sometimes "Not responding", but I have not got a separate window from Windows OS saying something like "DCS is no longer responding". At least not for the last few weeks. I have seen that with 2.1, but fairly long time ago and even back then not so frequently as just the game freeze, requiring killing DCS from the task manager.

I updated to M2 960 EVO about 3 weeks ago just to run a test if it would bring any help to the situation. If you are unlucky, SATA cables can be a problem in PC. But honestly, I can not really say that there would have been much improvement. I had previously 2 x Crucial 250MX SSDs connected to 6Gb/s SATA ports on my MB. One with windows installation, other with the game. Now both windows and the game on Samsung M2 960 EVO.
I'd like to think that Windows now boots up marginally faster, perhaps even the game starts and loads the map marginally faster, but I did not notice any real improvement for the stutters and game freeze.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:11 PM   #80
Burning Bridges

I just got Normandy and I can only contribute what I have found from experimentation in the last two days. What I saw in terms of (micro)stutters over cities and forest was actually related to AntiAliasing and can be easily cured by running lower settings.

I have i7 4790K 16GB DDR3 CL8 - GTX1070 8GB OC and a cheap Sandisk SSD. The game runs at solid 60fps with 8x AA for me most of the time BUT when I fly low (treetop level) over Caen the stutters can be reproduced, and even though they just dip into 50 the sensation of flight is already ruined.

I have AA now on 2x and even in those drastic situations over cities the frames remain solid 60fps. May be just me but that way I try to make sure that I have enough in reserve for when things get hot, and can not just barely run the sim with eye candy until something happens.

Today I already had a lot of crashes even from the Mission Editor, hard to say if this is normal or related to me Alt-Tabbing a lot or a sign that the sim has a problem. Just wanted to say that it does crash way more often than I would like and in fact 1.5 never crashed on me.