What I did wrong? (Dense(?) air startup)

ophiuchus

Hi guys!

So I've tried some fun in foggy, autumn environment, but unfortunatelly I didn't manage to start Mustang up. Cranking the engine ended up in flames. Could this be because of too dense, or wet air, which I have set in mission editor? Attached are mission and track files for your entertainment and hopefully some clues for me ;)

Thanks in advance!

boom.trk

ToughConditions-P-51.miz

Interesting. Have you tried reproducing this error?

Edit: I can't really say what is going on apart from that the mission file could have become corrupted somehow. You could try to rebuild the mission and see if it happens again.

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

I figured out that wind has its part in what happens there :) It's set at 19m/s and 133 deg direction. Airplane is facing 142 deg. When I turned the wind completly off, her engine started flawlessly. But increasing wind to 11 m/s ended up in dance, luckily without dismembering airframe. So the wind is the one to blame here :D

edit: perhaps clouds density, which is set to 7 has something to do as well.

Edited by ophiuchus

I think there is a filter that needs to be on when starting at dense/unclear air, maybe that's your problem, if I remember correctly it's on the left side one of the 2 levers

No, the ram/filtered and hot/cold levers have nothing to do with it. It seems that the plane only starts reacting to the wind once the motor is cranked, at which point it gets turned over violently.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Hmmm, I didn'ty try it more than twice because I was in a hurry, but the explosion was happened later when I spent a lot more time using oild dilution before starting the engine. The second time I used oild dilute for a while and the engine was initially rotated a few rounds before it exploded (?)

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

I didn't try the ram filter, but surely will. The plane starts dancing when prop begins to turn. The faster the wind is, the more damage airframe gets. Eventually wings are torn apart, fuel spills and bursts in flames.

edit: yep, it is definetly the wind. I've just altered mission so the weather is perfectly clear, and even I've changed season to summer, with exception of the wind, which is left at 19 m/s. Just as the propeller begins to turn, it rolls over the aircraft and mission is over :D

another edit: I've just realized that 19 m/s wind is actually a small hurricane, so flying in that conditions wouldn't be very wise at all. Will have to change mission weather conditions to some more "handleable" ones ;)

Edited by ophiuchus

another edit: I've just realized that 19 m/s wind is actually a small hurricane, so flying in that conditions wouldn't be very wise at all. Will have to change mission weather conditions to some more "handleable" ones ;)

Yes, it's a strong wind, around 37knot, but I don't think it should cause the problem you captured in the track / mission. I believe you found a BUG!

I lowered the wind to 13m/s and was able to start the engine. Tomorrow I will increase in steps until it explodes and report it here ;-)

Edited by jcomm

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

I don't think of any real conditions where an aircraft explode when you try to start up engine :shocking:.

In theory if I remember wet only decreases slightly engine performances but so slight it only would be a problem with very high temperature, in a off load limits aircraft and more than 100% wet in a short runway, but P-51 is a High powered aircraft so I don't know the real impact. In flight wet decreases density so little really it's not a big deal.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

I've just figured out, that selecting in mission editor to start from runway, with engine already running, didn't get the plane damaged. Actually taking off, flying and eventually landing was quite possible. With difficulties of course, especially landing, but still doable. Funny thing, that when I chose to shut down the engine, it ended up with this crazy dance and ultimately, aircraft destruction.

As to "safe" wind speed for engine startup, I selected 15 m/s and one time I destroyed only right aileron and tip of the wing, and another time, whole wing fell off. So I think it would be around 13-14 m/s at current engine modelling ;)