A-10 C 64bit version still planned?

jctrnacty

Hats down to ED team programmers. It looks like they are ready for future with 64 bit, because future win versions count only on 64 bit. (I am sure there will be a layer to run 32 bit programs for compatibility reasons)

I am really interested if the code will run faster than in 32 bit.

[sigpic][/sigpic]

MB MSI x570 Prestige Creation, RYzen 9 3900X, 32 Gb Ram 3333MHz, cooler Dark rock PRO 4, eVGA 1080Ti, 32 inch BenQ 32011pt, saitek X52Pro, HP Reverb, win 10 64bit

"of terrain into system memory to be paged to video memory."

Sorry if I misunderstood, but that there made it seem like you were talking about graphics.

Not the limitation of current 64-bit implementations on desktop computers - that there depends a lot on how the adresses work. There's a lot of ways to implement memory handling and still call it "64-bit" that result in very different limits, sometimes as "little" as a quarter petabyte. I am unsure about the limits of current AMD and Intel implementations, but they're not at the level that 2^64 as a simple number would make you think last I checked.

However, I realise that I was a bit unclear in how I phrased my earlier post, apologies. Basically there's theoretical limit of a general implementation, theoretical limit of a phrase ("64-bit" can mean so many things), then practical limits of specific implementations (like "chip X") and finally artificial and/or practical limits of specific operating systems.

Also:

2^64 = 18 446 744 073 709 551 616 = 18.4 exabit = 2 305 843 009 213 693 952 = 2.3 exabyte.

True I goofed on the exabyte-bit part. And all I mean about the terrain is that you can have more of it cached in real memory instead of virtual leading to less load times during missions and less caching especially at the beginning. That really has less to do with graphics and more to do with how much data memory can hold rather than paging it to virtual memory and then calling it later. Wether it's sent to video memory to be processed or it's used by the processor for calculating AI route's or engagements, It's still loaded into system memory. My response initially anyways was in reply to the bigger world post anyways not in response to yours.

Will 64 bit mean that the DCS A-10C will utilize all 4 of my cores?

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Intel i7-4790k | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo heat sink | Thermaltake Core V71 case | 750W EVGA PSU | 8gb G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150 motherboard | Samsung SSD | ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | TIR 5 | Razer Deathadder | Corsair K70

Will 64 bit mean that the DCS A-10C will utilize all 4 of my cores?

No. That's two different questions.

64bit is the technology to use larger addresses for memory and transfer, which allows software to render more efficient and overcomes memory limitations.

But a game still has to be multithreading to make native use of multiple cores. Multithreading very basically means, that the program is split up into different "tasks", each can be assigned to a different core.

At the moment, DCS: BlackShark is already starting to become multithreading, as the sound-engine is a different "task" or "thread" than the core game. Another example would be Rise of Flight, which was designed for multithreading.

In a limited fashion DX10 and above can also support multithreading for non-multithreading programs. It simply spreads the task over several CPUs. That's a performance boost for most games and systems, but it's just a workaround, not a true multithreading.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD