Worth switching from Rift to Odyssey WMR?

Gman109

Wanting advice from anyone who has the Rift and now uses the Samsung Odyssey WMR. $ isn't really an issue, but I don't want to go through the hassle of getting a new unit and figuring out all the settings/etc for it, and then not see much improvement. Really would like more info than is in the current threads specifically about how the Odyssey is an improvement over the Rift for DCS, from those who have used both.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

In my opionion the answer is a clear no for DCS world for just one reason: ASW or more the lack of it on Samsung Odyssey. You will never reach 90 FPS even on Titan V with Odyssey ASW is a must to keep a steady 45 fps and keep 90 fps head movement. Some people are fine with reprojection I cant stand it.

Ah, I didn't know that the controllers weren't supported. I don't use the Rift controllers anyway, just use my mouse and Hotas binds, but that is a good point, as I'd consider using them if they are accurate and work well.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

I got the Odyssey thinking the added resolution would make a big difference. It did not in DCS. But, I don't have 20/20 vision (though it's not that bad). And I used my glasses in both cases.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Should you switch, probably not. If you were starting from scratch, I'd say "absolutely". I never use the hand controllers when flying (or car racing sim, either). I turn them off, and use my HOTAS, TPM, flight stick, etc.

The resolution bump for the Odyssey is noticeable, and I'm glad that's the direction I went, but if I had a Rift or a Vive already, I'd wait for the true Second Generation (not the Vive Pro, BTW, IMO) technology.

i9-9900K @5.1Ghz w/ 32GB RAM, RTX2080 Super w/ 8G, Samsung Odyssey VR HMD, 1 TB SSD, VKB Gladiator MKII, TM TWCS throttle, Saitek Pro Yoke, Saitek Throttle Quadrant x2, CH Pro Pedals, Obutto Ozone

Should you switch, probably not. If you were starting from scratch, I'd say "absolutely". I never use the hand controllers when flying (or car racing sim, either). I turn them off, and use my HOTAS, TPM, flight stick, etc.

The resolution bump for the Odyssey is noticeable, and I'm glad that's the direction I went, but if I had a Rift or a Vive already, I'd wait for the true Second Generation (not the Vive Pro, BTW, IMO) technology.

Yep that is exactly what I am doing, fully enjoying my Rift CV1 and looking forward to when the true next generation comes out.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yep that is exactly what I am doing, fully enjoying my Rift CV1 and looking forward to when the true next generation comes out.

I stray into the thought of picking up an Odyssey in the interim from time to time, but I always come back to this same point as well.

Currently still waiting for Gen 2 before an upgrade as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I guess if you have a bunch of extra cash laying around then yes. I demoed yet passed on both the rift and Vive (bought and returned the Pimax 4K) even though I’ve wanted vr since the early 90s. I’m glad I waited for the Odyssey because I couldn’t justify that type of expense 2 years in a row. I also had to save up for a 1080ti to run it so there’s that as well.

Have you looked at what the CV1 is bringing on eBay to help defray the cost? I fully intend to sell my Odyssey when gen 2 comes out.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

In my opionion the answer is a clear no for DCS world for just one reason: ASW or more the lack of it on Samsung Odyssey. You will never reach 90 FPS even on Titan V with Odyssey ASW is a must to keep a steady 45 fps and keep 90 fps head movement. Some people are fine with reprojection I cant stand it.
Sorry but it should use the SteamVr equivalent of the ASW if I recall correctly asynchronous retroprojection?am I wrong?

From what I know all VR HMD using SteamVr can use it

Inviato dal mio ONEPLUS A5010 utilizzando Tapatalk

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

I guess if you have a bunch of extra cash laying around then yes. I demoed yet passed on both the rift and Vive (bought and returned the Pimax 4K) even though I’ve wanted vr since the early 90s. I’m glad I waited for the Odyssey because I couldn’t justify that type of expense 2 years in a row. I also had to save up for a 1080ti to run it so there’s that as well.

Have you looked at what the CV1 is bringing on eBay to help defray the cost? I fully intend to sell my Odyssey when gen 2 comes out.

Can you expand at all on how much better you find your Odyssey compared to the Rift so far as detail level goes? Cost isn't an issue, we have a Rift on all 4 of our gaming PCs in the home, it's more of the PITA factor, and IF it's worth it in terms of enough of a performance boost. My major complaint with VR/Rift is the detail level, and I suppose I just would like opinions on how much better WMR/Odyssey truly is in that department.

Systems

I have been using Oculus Rift with GTX1070 for 4 months and I am not happy with it because of resolution and screen door effect. I can't go back to TrackIR either because feeling of sitting in a cockpit is really so good. Its like a complicated relationship between your wife and another hot lady :)

I am not buying any other VR device unless the resolution problem is totally gone, really crystal clear view just like a monitor. Having a huge resolution device will also bring FPS problems, so I will wait until the eye tracking comes to the market for focused computing and ignoring the non-focused areas to save computing power.

[CENTER]

Signum_Signatur.png

[/CENTER]

Well after I read that Wags switched from the CV1 to a Samsung Odessey and some of the reviews which say it isn't even close and the Odessey is superior I decided to give it a try and see if it will tide be over until Pimax 8K-X with Native 4K in each eye releases...should have it Thursday. I'll see if it's good enough to keep starting this weekend.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

I have used the Rift for about 6 months for several flying titles including DCS.

I bought the Odyssey and gave it a try. Definitely not an improvement in overall performance. At best they are roughly equal with the Rift having the edge overall because of superior tweaking options.

The only real improvement in the Odyssey were colors but that came at the expense of clarity. Everything has a watery quality in the Odyssey that just isn't there in the Rift.

I shipped the Odyssey back.

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

I had the same experience. The Odyssey is much more vibrant but I actually found cockpit text harder to read, which was the opposite of what I expected. It is a nice headset though. I ended up returning it as well.

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.