My Pit - Just started...

X93355

IMG_1527_zpsecw6rdtp.jpg

IMG_1528_zpsbqgqjkvw.jpg

IMG_1529_zpsb4ama2tn.jpg

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As before, awesome build, that seat is fantastic!

How much will the complete setup weight?

Thanks. Seat weighs in around 65KG's without harness and cushions. The whole thing, not sure. Base is quite heavy too.

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908

That is just one awesome looking pit!

Cheers Kuky, wait till I get them both home and run them side by side :) I want to build up the sides of one to make it feel like an enclosed pit. Strong enough to be able to climb in and really feel like you are hopping in to a real aircraft. I do hope the wife understands :)

Hows the Rift? take a huey out to the coast and land on a frigate, it's just insane!

I haven't connected the Rift yet, I am still trying to solve few issues I have with the new system, for one I can't get ButtKicker to work with SimShaker, even the test sound won't play for some reason. When I get that sorted out then I want to tweak BIOS bit better see if I can get little better overclock (I am on 4.2GHz now but I don't think its stable as sometimes it won't boot into windows, and sometimes not even into BIOS. I suspect RAM is not good, it's supposed to be DDR4 3200Mz but I can not get system to boot at that frequency, highest I got is 3000MHz and now I am on 2666MHz. I assume I'll test the rift for the first time on weekend :) I waited so long, might as well wait a few days more :D

Seriously, I really like what you are making for your pit. :notworthy:

No longer active in DCS...

A little more work this week, almost there. Later today is the access panel covers and also the threaded inserts for the mounting holes, plus the ejection seat launch tube. Next week will be some final machining of parts for the ejection seat, then home to wire up and look a the seat cushions etc before heading to the powder-coaters.

Thinking about a nice rocket pack for under the seat as well.

Thoughts on colour: Matt black?

As you can see here, the access panel holes are all cutout. There are several holes in each of the consoles going through the base for running all the cables. The idea is to have all the USB, HDMI and Power cables all hidden away. The centre console will have 10 Port USB3 Hub hidden away and also a power distribution board, keeping it nice and tidy.

Later on, I am planning to enclose one of the sims (yes building two of these) so I can hang my elbow out the side of the cockpit in the Rift :)

The MFG Crosswinds will be adjustable in and out through quick release pins for those longer legged people (unlike me).

And I'm not sure if I am allowed to mention anything but Andre' is looking at making an exclusive Jetseat to fit the MK10. It will be more compact, made of different material and not have an orange edge :) (Am I in trouble Andre?)

IMG_1555_zpsdlfplvzx.jpg

IMG_1554_zpsmy3bsej4.jpg

IMG_1558_zpsfzqb57sm.jpg

Edited by X93355
  • Like 1

Just a few more pictures from this week:

IMG_1593_zpsivra9kmy.jpg

IMG_1592_zpskhhvhwpu.jpg

• Like 1

That's a beautiful VR sim setup. You are going to love it in the rift.

I've got a sim seat with stick and throttle mounted in the proper position and headrest. See pic here:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2825640&highlight=sim+seat#post2825640

My seat with a monitor was pretty good. My seat with the rift is AWESOME. You see the stick in front of you in VR and reach out and it is in the right spot in r/l. Same with throttles/pedals and the headrest. Also I can leave the seat in a corner of the room (not have to haul it out to the monitor) I just move the rift headset to my sim seat. You are going to be VERY happy I predict. I also really like that you have a spot for your monitor. What are your plans for keyboard?

Fantastic job! Looking forward to updates.

Cheers

Edited by lobo**
  • Like 1

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

Out with the old and in with the new - still a lot of work to do with cabling, riverting, belt tensioners, drogue gun etc

IMG_1622_zps2lyro2u4.jpg

Edited by X93355

Most of the wiring done - just short a 2m USB extension for the Jetseat so that all cables are hidden under or through the center console. Still a lot of work yet and one thing I am going to do this week is semi mount the speakers flush in the consoles (pointing upwards) which I hope will look very smart and reduce the risk of damage.

Ejection Seat - Plenty still to do here over the coming weeks. One thing is for sure, this feels very compact sitting in it.

Cables - I decided to go with a single flexible hose attached to the center console for all the cables (speaker wires, HDMI, USB and Power).

IMG_1646_zpsbjmzwxg5.jpg

Here is the other side of the center console where the 10 port USB3 Hub and power board are kept out of view.

IMG_1644_zps4fjuz5c1.jpg

The access panels all in place

IMG_1648_zpsqkwp0npq.jpg

Created the command console to house the computer, sub/amp and enable me to have the one wiring connection to the sim. I'm happy with how that is working / looking.

Speakers on the left console have been countersunk which helps protect them from knocks and looks smarter.

Riveting the seat this weekend to give it a more authentic look.

Still need the 2m USB cable for the Jetseat cable and then that will be hidden away nicely through the base of the seat through to the center console.

Will powder coat it matt black when finished.

IMG_1676_zpsggpjzrnt.jpg

IMG_1680_zpsokekmey5.jpg

IMG_1673_zpsey5amvhr.jpg

IMG_1675_zpsrvpj8rzd.jpg

Edited by X93355

Nice cockpit! That's awesome!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

I would coat that in grey if you can, it'll give more contrast to the setup, black will just make it "dissapear" :D

Would you believe I've been losing sleep over what colour to do the sim. Some Mk10's are painted grey like the one's in the Tornado's but others are matt black (like the one in the RNZAF Aermacchi MB339CB). Still got a week to make a decision - arghhhhh

I agree about the gray, but a little voice keeps saying how awesome it would looks polished and clear coated. :D

Totally awesome job, whatever color you choose.

Btw, what model keyboard is that? I used an MS Natural in the office for many, many years but haven't used one, at home, in recent years for a variety of reasons.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I agree about the gray, but a little voice keeps saying how awesome it would looks polished and clear coated. :D

Totally awesome job, whatever color you choose.

Btw, what model keyboard is that? I used an MS Natural in the office for many, many years but haven't used one, at home, in recent years for a variety of reasons.

It's the MS Sculpt Ergonomic Wireless - Went for this as the keypad is separate which is handy for re centering. Plus it makes it quite easy to find the F5 and F6 keys as they are on each side of the split.

It really is killing me about the colour, I really like the thought of matt black, especially once I get all the stickers attached. Frak!