SimTools, Cockpit Motion Control Discussion Thread

MacThai_75

Although I have seen some threads that have mentioned the use of SimTools (for cockpit motion control rigs) I didn't see a specific thread for the discussion of SimTools, so I've taken the liberty and started one to centralize discussion of it.

Please feel free to add anything you might feel is of interest WRT SimTools.

Here are some links to SimTools to help get the topic started.

General SimTools Info

https://www.xsimulator.net/category/simtools/

SimTools download page and list of sims/games plugins

https://www.xsimulator.net/simtools-motion-simulator-software/

SimTools Documentation

https://www.xsimulator.net/simtools-complete-documentation/

The next two are for DIY guys that want to build a rig yourself

https://www.xsimulator.net/connect-simtools-sketchup/

A tutorial discussion of how to build a motion rig and the parts list and diagrams needed to do it

https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/smc3-arduino-3dof-motor-driver-and-windows-utilities.4957/

Edited by MacThai_75
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

XSPC Water Cooled ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula

Intel i7-6700K @ 4.5Ghz

32GB-3200Mhz Rip Jaw DDR4 RAM.

EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+

Samsung 950 512GB SSD

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Saitek Combat Pro Pedals

Mod'd OpenWheeler cockpit

Oculus Rift CV1.

Thanks for adding these links. I used to spend time at the xsimulator site long ago. As I learn to program in the future I'll be using these links more. My 3.0 version of my pit will be built with some motion (long ways off). A little motion or tactile feedback goes a long way towards making a great pit. If it doesn't move or vibrate, you're just sitting there...

What version numbers are they.The highest version number should do the trick. To install it just open the simtools plugin updater (from your start menu) and drag the zip file from windows explorer file manager straight onto it. To check if it has worked you will find a modified or new export.lua in C:/users/yourname/Saved Games/DCS/ scripts

Edited by Macka

There we were....two against a thousand.....so what'd we do....Shotem' both!!!!

Intel core I5-9600, GB RTX 2080TI@2050Mhz, Asus ROG Strix Z390, 32GB G.Skill ddr4 3000 Ram. 40" Philips 4K monitor, HP Reverb, Vive Pro, Rift CV1, TMWH and SimXperience Motion Sim, Lime green jocks, Jack Daniels 1770, 2 packs Marlborough, etc etc etc...:megalol:

Glad to see you here Macka! :)

Some of you might be interested to know that Macka was involved in the testing and development for converting Simtools for use with the simXperience scn 5 actuators, and I'm sure will be a large help to folks that want to get up and running with SimTools, having offered that help to us on the VR Forum.

It's cool when you don't have to go it alone! :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7-6700K @ 4.5Ghz

EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+

Samsung 950 512GB SSD

Saitek Combat Pro Pedals

Oculus Rift CV1.

Excellent Idea MacThai_75.

I've found Simtools tp be an excellent simulator interfacing program that is pretty straight forward to use.

If you have an Arduino, a motor controller board and motor, I've found the SMC3 program by rufusdufus is definitely the way to go.

X-Simulator%20Arduino%20Wiring%20Configuration%201024x944.jpg

VR gets your eyes into the pit. With simtools you get your body into the pit!

Edited by BrassEm
Add pic

"Roll Bug" Fix

Hi all,

If you have a seat-mover (I don't think it's an issue with a G-Seat) or have browsed the DCS plugin threads on X-Sim or SimTools, then you might be familiar with the roll bug.

The issue: At some point while rolling left, the motion platform will be pegged at full left deflection. Then just after crossing 180 while inverted, the motion platform will jerk to full right deflection to complete the roll to 0 degrees. Very distracting, not at all realistic.

RiftFlyer has worked very hard and proposed an interesting solution that calculates bank acceleration (as far as I can tell). However, the Alternative DCS Plugin RiftFlyer authored resulted in the motion platform violently/randomly gyrating along its roll axis (I think it may have been related to not converting degrees back to radians before outputting to the socket. I had the same result / issue at first).

Anyway, I wired up a fix tonight that I'm very pleased with. You can get a sense of the problem / solution approach in this JSBin: https://jsbin.com/qohelupovi/edit?js,console

Here's basically what it does:

Input
       45      -45
   90              -90
       135     -135

Desired output
       45      -45
   90              -90
       45     -45

I got it working in export.lua tonight:

function rad(deg)
    return deg*(math.pi/180)
  end

function deg(rad)
    return rad/(math.pi/180)
  end

local synRoll = deg(bank)

if synRoll < -90 then
     synRoll = rad(-(synRoll + 180))
  elseif synRoll > 90 then
     synRoll = rad(90 - (synRoll - 90))
  else
     synRoll = bank
  end

I certainly hope this can help some folks with seat movers who are experiencing the roll bug. Happy to answer any questions related to this.

Edited by mrsparks

What version numbers are they.The highest version number should do the trick. To install it just open the simtools plugin updater (from your start menu) and drag the zip file from windows explorer file manager straight onto it. To check if it has worked you will find a modified or new export.lua in C:/users/yourname/Saved Games/DCS/ scripts

Sorry , just saw your answer late.

I use the plugin from Riftflyer

https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/alternative-plugin-for-dcs-world.8610/

Will try it when I get my motors ;)

Hi all,

If you have a seat-mover (I don't think it's an issue with a G-Seat) or have browsed the DCS plugin threads on X-Sim or SimTools, then you might be familiar with the roll bug.

The issue: At some point while rolling left, the motion platform will be pegged at full left deflection. Then just after crossing 180 while inverted, the motion platform will jerk to full right deflection to complete the roll to 0 degrees. Very distracting, not at all realistic.

RiftFlyer has worked very hard and proposed an interesting solution that calculates bank acceleration (as far as I can tell). However, the Alternative DCS Plugin RiftFlyer authored resulted in the motion platform violently/randomly gyrating along its roll axis (I think it may have been related to not converting degrees back to radians before outputting to the socket. I had the same result / issue at first).

Anyway, I wired up a fix tonight that I'm very pleased with. You can get a sense of the problem / solution approach in this JSBin: https://jsbin.com/qohelupovi/edit?js,console

Here's basically what it does:

Input
       45      -45
   90              -90
       135     -135

Desired output
       45      -45
   90              -90
       45     -45

I got it working in export.lua tonight:

function rad(deg)
    return deg*(math.pi/180)
  end

function deg(rad)
    return rad/(math.pi/180)
  end

local synRoll = deg(bank)

if synRoll < -90 then
     synRoll = rad(-(synRoll + 180))
  elseif synRoll > 90 then
     synRoll = rad(90 - (synRoll - 90))
  else
     synRoll = bank
  end

I certainly hope this can help some folks with seat movers who are experiencing the roll bug. Happy to answer any questions related to this.

I produced a plugin which does exactly this and sent it out to a guy with a seat mover for testing but never got any feedback from him on the results. I didn't want to publish it without first hearing how it worked. Sorry you had to reinvent the wheel so to speak.

EDIT: With your permission I can integrate your code into a plugin if it would benefit others with 2dof platforms. Seeing as your code has been tested and it works it would make sense to release it over mine. I will remove the other rate of change code and just provide your alternative roll on extra 1.

Edited by Frusheen

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

The intrinsic problem with DCS is that there is a roll and yaw inversion from export data whenever a near, to true loop, is performed, which is a problem for some seat movers who's seat frame of reference does not change during the inversion.

It is not a problem with Simtools, it works well, it just drives to what it is given.

@mrsparks

Can I ask where you are getting your DCS pitch, bank and yaw values from please?

@Frusheen

Sorry for not getting back to you. I had a total Hard Disk Drive failure with corrupted backups. Thought I had lost the entire lot for a few days there!. Back on the job now.

Edited by BrassEm

I am sure if you browse the links you will get an idea of what is involved. The basic circuit is about the same minus the opto's and disable switches. (Depending on the configuration these do come in handy).

The motors are a typical car/truck wiper motor. A brushed 12/24VDC motor with a reduction worm gear assembly. The worm gear provides the necessary holding force to a seat even with the motor not energised. They are not stepper motors as such but are driven by a Pulse Width Modulation voltage to adjust the speed and polatiry to the motor.

Edited by BrassEm

My DKP motion seat will be here soon, and I'm sort of thinking out loud here.

It is my understanding that for optimum performance you need to make setting adjustments for SimTools to compensate for different weights of different pilots.

If that is as burdensome as it initially appears, I might try something else ....

The DKP's are rated at ~330lbs capacity, so my plan is to set it up for the max weight I expect to use, then to avoid having to reset SimTools up for other weights, I'll just make up some canvas bags holding shotgun shot in, say ... 10 lbs each.

Then I'll hang a regular car seat back organizer off my rig's seat, and add the appropriate number of 10 lb bags of shot in the organizer's lower pockets, to act as ballast to keep the same weight for people of all weights, and avoid having to redo all the settings for different people of different weights. (if that makes sense) ...

Not sure how that might work, or even if 10 lbs is the right weight for each of the ballast bags.

So .... we'll see! :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7-6700K @ 4.5Ghz

EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+

Samsung 950 512GB SSD

Saitek Combat Pro Pedals

Oculus Rift CV1.

I produced a plugin which does exactly this and sent it out to a guy with a seat mover for testing but never got any feedback from him on the results. I didn't want to publish it without first hearing how it worked. Sorry you had to reinvent the wheel so to speak.

EDIT: With your permission I can integrate your code into a plugin if it would benefit others with 2dof platforms. Seeing as your code has been tested and it works it would make sense to release it over mine. I will remove the other rate of change code and just provide your alternative roll on extra 1.

Any news frusheen? Tested the old alternate plugin this morning- was jerky on the extra 2 axis when performing a roll

Any news frusheen? Tested the old alternate plugin this morning- was jerky on the extra 2 axis when performing a roll

Sorry been busy with work and have also just formatted my PC to upgrade to Windows 10. I'll post once I have something to show but it will take me some time to get everything reinstalled. In the mean time you could fool the plugin by editing the export.lua file with the code from mrsparks.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Hi there

Tried the export.lua function but can't get it to work :-/

Has someone a complete and working export.lua for me?

Edit: got it to work - Prototype is ready! The feeling is great! Hard rolls are pushing you around and a crash is now a little more unpleasant than before ;)

4f26a5a7f98a05cda7be82c9a96b2718.jpg

Edited by Einherjer

• 1 year later...

This is great information. I am currently waiting for my system to arrive to download DCS right away, will be using an Oculus, and I-7 8650k and a decent GPU. I considering getting the atomic from http://talonsimulations.com which seems pretty legit company ( most professional I've encountered). They are compatible through Plug-in Simtools. Do any of you think this would be a complication altogether to make it work correctly?

• 5 years later...