Another 2080TI Bites The Dust.....

This is the third one that has failed.

The first two started with PC restarting and failing to post at random times and rapidly got worse until the PC would not POST at all.

This time random crashes maybe once a week after 15 mins or so during a tomcat mission. This deteriorated into going black screen after 5 mins with same mission. Other less demanding missions unaffected.

After a day or so the black screen is after two minutes and all missions are affected.

The PC does not shut down, audio is still on and the diagnostic LEDs on my motherboard say AO which means all OK with that. I have to manually reset the PC and it boots normally. Until I go into DCS and black screen again.

I notice that the card now idles at 45C where before it was around 28C and just putting on Reverb makes the temp rocket up to 60C, albeit no crash. This with fans set to and running 100%.

New symptom appeared. Lighting is often upside down. Moonlight illuminates the underside of the aircraft instead of the top.

First two failures were on an old rig, this build is maybe six months old.

Only commonality other than card is that both rigs are fitted with EVGA Supernova 850G3 PSUs. Supposedly a decent power supply and plenty watts for the rig. Never had a card fail previous to the RTX.

Of course latest driver reinstalled clean and DCS repaired many times, fxo and metashaders deleted.

Am I just unlucky or is something killing the cards?

I can't imagine two separate and fairly new power supplies both being faulty... and yes I have twin cables going to the GPU, not one with a splitter.

This card lasted 7 months, previous ones lasted 3 months each.

Last RMA took nearly 3 months.

Bit fed up at the moment.:mad:

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Seems a little strange...? If it is the power in your area, perhaps use a UPS to protect the system.

Reminds me, I need to replace the one a work.

I guess you could test for that, if your seeing big power fluctuations in HWMonitor.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

First off, that sucks!

I've had both of my 2080 Ti's for over a year now. No issues. Mine are cooled with water not air.

Are you watching your temps with Afterburner OSD?

Are you using the cables that came with your new power supply or are you using old cables? The wiring diagrams are not standardized on the power supply side only the motherboard side. If the polarities were reversed they would have fried on first boot, but maybe the ground? Do you have a multimeter to test your cables and connectors?

Had last look before starting the RMA process. Fired up DCS and held the headset instead of wearing it to watch the temps.

They climbed to 80C and the screen went black. That's not at all what I was expecting. I expected higher.

Anyway, duly went through the reset to get the display back and it failed to POST.

My motherboard diagnostic LED hung quite a while on code 61 then it bleeped twice and stopped altogether on error code 62.

Removed card and plugged monitor into built in graphics and the Rig booted up without problems.

From what I can gather, those codes are VRAM initialization and loading, so it looks as if the memory failed yet again. The guy at the retailer help desk agreed that it was probably a faulty card.

RMA approved and return label printed. Will take it to a drop off point tomorrow. Good job I saved all the original packaging.

I'm hoping I get one from a later batch this time. First RMA was still very early days, likely retailer was still selling original batch.with the duff memory.

Second RMA went to ASUS for repair and return, so still same early batch.

Hope the third time is the charm.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

RMA 3 months? WTF?

We have a 45 day law if the product is not repaired it must be replaced immediately.

Maybe you should look at the PSU, I suggest getting a wall wattage meter, then if you have multiple rails on the PSU you should check the specs, this isn't that simple as one needs a bit of familiarity with how electricity works in this way and I was under the impression my PSU was ok but I figured out I was totally overloading the +12V line for years and that's why the PC acted erratic, it would sometimes lose output to the monitor and lock up even if the CPU was still working in the background, 120mm fans would quit working randomly and other little clues.

I ended up with a 750W Corsair HX or what it was the newer models, in single-rail mode (can switch), the outter label of the final wattage doesn't really matter that much as everyone thinks, the amps matter and specs on each of the voltage segments, as well as the rails if more than one.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Similar here, it's the 3rd attempt to fix = F U L L REFUND

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

First off, that sucks!

I've had both of my 2080 Ti's for over a year now. No issues. Mine are cooled with water not air.

Are you watching your temps with Afterburner OSD?

Are you using the cables that came with your new power supply or are you using old cables? The wiring diagrams are not standardized on the power supply side only the motherboard side. If the polarities were reversed they would have fried on first boot, but maybe the ground? Do you have a multimeter to test your cables and connectors?

The failures of dead 20 series cards have been linked to faulty VRAM modules of a given brand and have nothing to do with cooling. Some non reference cards have never had issues because they were using other VRAM modules.

Personally I skipped the 20 series as from the standpoint of performance to gamers they are half a generation upgrade at outrageous prices despite the vaunted ray tracing features. If you are tempted to buy a graphics with your hard earned money get AMD instead, or wait for the 30 series cards. I'm sure NVIDIA will course correct by then or face same trouble from AMD as Intel did.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

The failures of dead 20 series cards have been linked to faulty VRAM modules of a given brand and have nothing to do with cooling. Some non reference cards have never had issues because they were using other VRAM modules.

Personally I skipped the 20 series as from the standpoint of performance to gamers they are half a generation upgrade at outrageous prices despite the vaunted ray tracing features. If you are tempted to buy a graphics with your hard earned money get AMD instead, or wait for the 30 series cards. I'm sure NVIDIA will course correct by then or face same trouble from AMD as Intel did.

You speak so authoritatively, yet you provide no evidence of this. People who rely on word of mouth in forums without any data or testing to back up their statements are just giving opinions. You know what they say about opinions.

Steve from Gamer's Nexus did actual tests and was not able to pinpoint the problem other than "test escapes" and inadequate QC in the rush to get the cards to market to meet demand.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3394-rtx-2080-ti-artifacting-failure-analysis-crashing-black-screens

There was never actually any evidence of a higher failure rate relative to other GPU's. People with good GPUs were too busy playing games while someone with a failed card would obviously be more likely to go on forums and tell people about it.

If you are suggesting that you can ignore cooling and temperatures, go ahead and take off the heatsinks and cooling fans on your GPU, play DCS for a couple of hours, and see how that goes for you.

A couple years back I was playing the Witcher 3 in 4K on my brand new 1080 SLI system that I built. The cinematic scenes will bring any GPU to it's knees. I made the mistake of relying on the card's stock firmware and fan profile to keep the cards cool and operating within specifications. That led to a trip to Microcenter to return one of the cards that had fried. After that I never relied on stock firmware and fan profiles to keep the cards within specifications. I now consistently check temps on an OSD that I can turn off and on with a hotkey. My current motherboard has an LED display so I can monitor clockspeed, voltage, and temperature in realtime but it's not convenient while gaming on my big screen. Although with a liquid cooling loop it has never been an issue. Overclocked PCs are very similar to a performance car with a supercharged engine. If you push the rpm too high without a proper radiator, it will blow.

You know what the best part of liquid cooling is? Not the overclock headroom, not the higher framerates or graphic settings. It's so quiet. Air cooled CPU/GPUs can sound like a turbofan engine when at max utilization, which is typical when playing DCS at high settings.

If you are coming here just to market and be a shill for AMD you should probably refrain from commenting in the future as that just undermines your credibility and people will just ignore you. It's really obvious when someone is a Fanboi.

In the computing field we use benchmarks to test GPU performance, not opinions. Per the Passmark GPU benchmark, the $499.00 Nvidia 2070 Super surpasses the AMD Radeon VII for $529.00. The Radeon VII which was released in February '19 is still surpassed by the 1080 Ti which was released in May '16. That's almost 3 years. That's a long time according to Moore's Law. As of this writing you can purchase used hybrid cooled 1080 Ti's on Ebay for $500.00. Newegg has the Radeon VII available @ $529.00 but they are being scalped on Amazon for $770.98.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Speaking of Intel, they wisely poached a very talented engineer from AMD. Raja Koduri is now head of Intel's Visual Computing Group. Apparently he was not happy with AMD's priorities with GPU development. Intel now also has Jim Keller formerly of Tesla and before that AMD where he was a lead architect of several successful CPU lines.

What was the point of your post exactly and how does it help the OP? But hey, thanks for sharing your opinion and letting everybody here know that Nvidia is beneath you and you are way too intelligent to upgrade your GPU. I've been having a blast with my Reverb and 2080 Ti. I'll sell you my 2080 Ti used when I upgrade next summer. I wouldn't get your hopes up that the new Nvidia Ampere cards based on a 7nm process will be more economical by any stretch. There's always demand from people with adequate disposable income to enjoy their hobbies.

You may be asking yourself how or why I would know all this. The bulk of my income comes from investing. To be successful at that you have to exercise due diligence and critical thinking skills and ignore Fanbois in forums. I am completely agnostic to whether I or anyone else builds a system with Intel, Nvidia, or AMD. I have traded stocks and options in all three. I make money regardless of what individual gamers choose. I just prefer to build my PCs with the fastest components available, because I can. :thumbup:

I've been running a 2080Ti since they first came out, and I mean, making it work. Not a days issue.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

From my perspective, Pilotasso is right and I keep it the same way.

I think you went a bit over the top and read far too much out of those few lines.

Just my 2 cents

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I'm waiting too just like Pilotasso.

Not worth the upgrading from 1080ti to 2080ti, so I'm waiting for the 30 series cards too. Plus all the problems here with the 2080ti, more back when they first released.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I guess I won the lottery then.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Guess so. You could bet if I had bought one it would have been a DOA card, that's usually my luck with my own parts. ever since waahaaa, damn true.

You speak so authoritatively, yet you provide no evidence of this. People who rely on word of mouth in forums without any data or testing to back up their statements are just giving opinions. You know what they say about opinions.

Steve from Gamer's Nexus did actual tests and was not able to pinpoint the problem other than "test escapes" and inadequate QC in the rush to get the cards to market to meet demand.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3394-rtx-2080-ti-artifacting-failure-analysis-crashing-black-screens

There was never actually any evidence of a higher failure rate relative to other GPU's. People with good GPUs were too busy playing games while someone with a failed card would obviously be more likely to go on forums and tell people about it.

If you are suggesting that you can ignore cooling and temperatures, go ahead and take off the heatsinks and cooling fans on your GPU, play DCS for a couple of hours, and see how that goes for you.

A couple years back I was playing the Witcher 3 in 4K on my brand new 1080 SLI system that I built. The cinematic scenes will bring any GPU to it's knees. I made the mistake of relying on the card's stock firmware and fan profile to keep the cards cool and operating within specifications. That led to a trip to Microcenter to return one of the cards that had fried. After that I never relied on stock firmware and fan profiles to keep the cards within specifications. I now consistently check temps on an OSD that I can turn off and on with a hotkey. My current motherboard has an LED display so I can monitor clockspeed, voltage, and temperature in realtime but it's not convenient while gaming on my big screen. Although with a liquid cooling loop it has never been an issue. Overclocked PCs are very similar to a performance car with a supercharged engine. If you push the rpm too high without a proper radiator, it will blow.

You know what the best part of liquid cooling is? Not the overclock headroom, not the higher framerates or graphic settings. It's so quiet. Air cooled CPU/GPUs can sound like a turbofan engine when at max utilization, which is typical when playing DCS at high settings.

If you are coming here just to market and be a shill for AMD you should probably refrain from commenting in the future as that just undermines your credibility and people will just ignore you. It's really obvious when someone is a Fanboi.

In the computing field we use benchmarks to test GPU performance, not opinions. Per the Passmark GPU benchmark, the $499.00 Nvidia 2070 Super surpasses the AMD Radeon VII for $529.00. The Radeon VII which was released in February '19 is still surpassed by the 1080 Ti which was released in May '16. That's almost 3 years. That's a long time according to Moore's Law. As of this writing you can purchase used hybrid cooled 1080 Ti's on Ebay for $500.00. Newegg has the Radeon VII available @ $529.00 but they are being scalped on Amazon for $770.98.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Speaking of Intel, they wisely poached a very talented engineer from AMD. Raja Koduri is now head of Intel's Visual Computing Group. Apparently he was not happy with AMD's priorities with GPU development. Intel now also has Jim Keller formerly of Tesla and before that AMD where he was a lead architect of several successful CPU lines.

What was the point of your post exactly and how does it help the OP? But hey, thanks for sharing your opinion and letting everybody here know that Nvidia is beneath you and you are way too intelligent to upgrade your GPU. I've been having a blast with my Reverb and 2080 Ti. I'll sell you my 2080 Ti used when I upgrade next summer. I wouldn't get your hopes up that the new Nvidia Ampere cards based on a 7nm process will be more economical by any stretch. There's always demand from people with adequate disposable income to enjoy their hobbies.

You may be asking yourself how or why I would know all this. The bulk of my income comes from investing. To be successful at that you have to exercise due diligence and critical thinking skills and ignore Fanbois in forums. I am completely agnostic to whether I or anyone else builds a system with Intel, Nvidia, or AMD. I have traded stocks and options in all three. I make money regardless of what individual gamers choose. I just prefer to build my PCs with the fastest components available, because I can. :thumbup:

Wow, pompous much? You apparently are one of the coolest guys you know, congrats bud....

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

Wow, pompous much? You apparently are one of the coolest guys you know, congrats bud....

Oh Mr. Biggs, as you figured out people on this board are easy to make fun of. You shouldn't read too much into it. It's just a game. I just lose patience with people who put out bad information and try to use the boards to promote a specific company. It doesn't help people who are trying to build a new rig.

From my perspective, Pilotasso is right and I keep it the same way.

I think you went a bit over the top and read far too much out of those few lines.

Just my 2 cents

No, what he stated was completely inaccurate. If you think the Ampere Ti model is going to cost less than the 2080 Ti I wouldn't get your hopes up. VAT isn't going away for Europeans. If you are in the States this stuff is a lot cheaper all around.

Not worth the upgrading from 1080ti to 2080ti, so I'm waiting for the 30 series cards too. Plus all the problems here with the 2080ti, more back when they first released.

I've had mine since November '18, no issues at all. I upgraded from the Titan Xp. Definitely worth it, the faster VRAM and wider bandwidth help a lot in VR.

It's only about 6 months or so till Ampere comes out, hopefully. I wouldn't get your hopes up that they are going to be cheaper than the RTX gen. There will be used RTX cards on Ebay for hopefully a decent price.

I still can't reconcile that people spend so many hours on a hobby then blame the manufactures when they don't have money to buy a new toy. Makes no sense. Looks like I stirred up a hornet's nest of salt with that post. LOL. If someone is physically disabled and on a fixed income, that doesn't apply of course. $1200 for a new card isn't that much money in the context of our hobby. You just have to sell your old card. There's a big market for used parts in the States, at least. High end cards keep their resale value and are in high demand. You can get $400-$500 for a 1080Ti on Ebay right now. That resale value will drop significantly when the next gen comes out. The timing of the upgrade cycle is very important.

This sounds like I'm shilling myself but the reason I am partial to EVGA cards is they have a transferable 3 year warranty. The upgrade cycle is 2 years. They hold their value really well.

When I bought my cards I had the full intention of returning them if it wasn't worth it. It's telling that all the people saying the 2080 Ti isn't worth it have never actually used it themselves and base their decision on forum posts. Hmmm...

Edited by Sn8ke_iis

The VAT on top is an issue, fortunately I buy mine w/o that due to business purchase, so i get it refunded by our IRS ;)

But it is not fast enough to drive my screen ALWAYS above 120fps to be past the Track-IR's stutter range. I can hold 60fps with decent settings with my 1080ti and as long as a new card wont turbo me past 120fps I am not gonna buy one. I dont use my VR, it causes nausea and I have it deinstalled. So I might buy again a 4080ti or AMD then, but only 20-30fps more for an additional 500-700€ is not what brings me any further, i would still cap it at 60fps and void the whole expense.

* good idea for the smaller board and singke card, makes perfect sense. By the time Vulkan comes and until it supports mGPU, if ever, a 1080ti and 2080ti will be old iron imo.

Sure, i would love a watercooled 2080ti, better SLI, and a 9900ks at 5.4G 64GB...but would it make a significant difference in my DCS perception, I doubt in my case.

The VAT on top is an issue, fortunately I buy mine w/o that due to business purchase, so i get it refunded by our IRS ;)

Fair enough.

I was actually wondering about any exemptions. When I lived in Wiesbaden I had one but that was part of the NATO SOFA. It would be a shame for AI researchers and artists to have to pay that premium if they are actually using the cards to be productive and not just goofing off like us.

SLI is fun if you are an "enthusiast" and really into benchmarking on the 3Dmark leaderboards. But the cards don't really scale well outside of synthetic benchmarks. Steve from Gamer's Nexus uses Sniper Elite 4 as a benchmark for SLI. It actually scales at 100% but that is the exception. Most games only scale about 30-40%. Besides the cost of the extra GPU card you also need a MB with the appropriate slots and adequate power supply.

Good mini ITX motherboards cost about $150 tops. Whereas ATX motherboards can easily run $500-$900 at the top end. Most people don't use the extra IDE slots and you could buy some good pedals or something for the price difference.

I was hesitant to go VR as before I got the Reverb I played on a 4K big screen. But when I first tried it my exact words were "Oh wow!". I spent a couple days just playing demos and checking out all the different cockpits in modules that I have. Being able to naturally pan your head around the cockpit and look behind you makes a huge difference in immersion. I rarely look straight ahead while playing flight sims anymore. I'm always scanning to the side, up, or behind. I still get eye fatigue, I try not to wear it for more than an hour or two between breaks, but no nausea. The first weekend I had it, I made the mistake of not taking breaks and my eyes hurt quite a bit for a few days. Elite Dangerous is very impressive too.

I'm waiting too just like Pilotasso.

I'm with you brother... :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I think Jensen Huang could take Lisa Su, but it depends on whose Kung Fu is better. :D

"Findings on the RTX 2080

----------------------------------------------------

Newegg

135 reviews

1 fail EVGA reference board (non specific failure)

1 fail EVGA reference board (non specific failure)

1 fail EVGA reference board (possibly user error)

1 fail ASUS reference board (non specific failure)

Amazon

114 Reviews

1 fail MSI Custom Board (non specific failure)

1 fail MSI Custom Board (non specific failure)

1 fail ASUS reference board (non specific failure)

Failure rate= 2.81 %

---------------------------------------------------

Poll from right here on Hardforum

"Do YOU have Problems with YOUR RTX card?"

104 Votes

RTX 2080 received 1 Vote 0.7% Percent

---------------------------------------------------

REDDIT Results of the 2080 reliability Survey

119 RTX 2080 Cards submitted

115/119 cards working or 97.5%

Not-Working 3/119 or 2.5%

Der8auer on RTX 2080/Ti RMA rates (AiB cards only)

Results as of 11/5/18

RMA RATES

2080 ~ 0.17%

2080Ti ~ 1.4%

It must be noted that according to Der8auer, he indicated that MORE 2080's have been sold than 2080ti's at this point, a figure he described as "approaching 4 figures".

So, more 2080's sold, and hugely less RMA's than the 2080ti.

Caseking AiB cards only:

GTX1080

7.1%

(there were reports that AiB partner card's stock fan profile wasn't aggressive enough making the cards susceptible to overheating)

GTX1080Ti

4.6%

RTX2080

0.17%

RTX2080Ti

1.4%

The sample size is several thousands for 1080/1080Ti, and approaching 1K for 2080/2080Ti."

https://hardforum.com/threads/actual-failure-rates-for-rtx-2080-from-my-investigation.1972275/

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/nvidia-rtx-2080-ti-founders-issues/

The VAT on top is an issue, fortunately I buy mine w/o that due to business purchase, so i get it refunded by our IRS wink.gif

But it is not fast enough to drive my screen ALWAYS above 120fps to be past the Track-IR's stutter range. I can hold 60fps with decent settings with my 1080ti and as long as a new card wont turbo me past 120fps I am not gonna buy one. I dont use my VR, it causes nausea and I have it deinstalled. So I might buy again a 4080ti or AMD then, but only 20-30fps more for an additional 500-700€ is not what brings me any further, i would still cap it at 60fps and void the whole expense.

* good idea for the smaller board and singke card, makes perfect sense. By the time Vulkan comes and until it supports mGPU, if ever, a 1080ti and 2080ti will be old iron imo.

Sure, i would love a watercooled 2080ti, better SLI, and a 9900ks at 5.4G 64GB...but would it make a significant difference in my DCS perception, I doubt in my case.

Yep,

I'm not paying double the $ for a 2080ti to get maybe 25% more power just to lower it down back to 60fps because it cannot hold 120 stable.

Not that concerned about selling it either, this will be a backup rig or server when I do my next full upgrade. What I have now is a good match and all works very well together.

Thing is, the manual and common sense says, only use it when you are not tired, not stressed but in good condition. I am nowhere near that state at 8 or 9pm when I have 1-2h left.

Once my youngest son is a bit older and won't need that much care anymore things will get better again, I have been there before a couple times, LoL, so I take it as it is.

But I may give that a try, if I find the time to reinstall and put it up again. Not having it on the table also means he cant break it. he's 2yand 2 month old and loves my PC and my tools. It's hard to keep him away from that desk...and I always let them so they have their fun and early introduction into PC#s and tools like drillers and cables, old PCI cards, all that kinda stuff.

BTW, he woke up...ahhhh another round of "BACK 2 BED" haha